Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
View Poll Results: What network will you use your Droid 2 Global with?
AT&T 74 51.39%
Verizon 36 25.00%
Telus 2 1.39%
T-Mobile 30 20.83%
Telstra 2 1.39%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

“Answered but not Perfected” Getting the Droid 2 Global to work on USA GSM

OP swangotp

15th November 2010, 06:11 PM   |  #11  
OP Member
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 1

71 posts
Donate to Me
More
Just got off the phone with Motorola and they said the droid 2 global was only for verizon sim cards and when I told them about the unlock code the guy didn't know what they where for. So another dead end. Another theory I have is that the stock verizon rom is blocking at&t so maybe if someone can flash another rom we can see if this is the problem.
16th November 2010, 12:39 AM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 46

180 posts
Further proof the 850/1900 bands are locked: https://motorola-global-portal.custh...%2C6720%2C7706

"GSM-based global services work only with a SIM card supplied by Verizon Wireless® or by another GSM 900 or GSM 1800 service provider. When you set your phone to use a GSM 900 or GSM 1800 network you may be prompted to enter a subsidy code. To get this code, contact Verizon Wireless."

EDIT: Looks like they're just locked in the US, not abroad: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...mpression.html
Last edited by jy3ng4; 17th November 2010 at 06:51 PM.
16th November 2010, 01:02 AM   |  #13  
OP Member
Flag Pittsburgh

71 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMD1

Further proof the 850/1900 bands are locked: https://motorola-global-portal.custh...%2C6720%2C7706

"GSM-based global services work only with a SIM card supplied by Verizon Wireless® or by another GSM 900 or GSM 1800 service provider. When you set your phone to use a GSM 900 or GSM 1800 network you may be prompted to enter a subsidy code. To get this code, contact Verizon Wireless."

If this is true why would they say it has the 850 and 1900 bands? I know its not a hardware problem, so if its a software problem there is a chance we can have a workaround. Or the locked bands might be because of the verizon rom.
16th November 2010, 03:53 AM   |  #14  
OP Member
Flag Pittsburgh

71 posts
Donate to Me
More
I was able to put a new rom on my Droid 2 Global and although the rom was working since it was for a droid 2 the radio was not working properly. I was not able to force turn it on. I still have several more things I will try tonight.
16th November 2010, 06:39 AM   |  #15  

180 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swangotp

I was able to put a new rom on my Droid 2 Global and although the rom was working since it was for a droid 2 the radio was not working properly. I was not able to force turn it on. I still have several more things I will try tonight.

Keep us posted!
16th November 2010, 08:28 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 0

24 posts
This has been done before on Windows Mobile phones (CDMA HTC Touch Pro 2) and requires a radio reflash since the bands are locked in the radio firmware. I am hoping they will develop a solution for Android phones. http://rhodiumw.htc-unlocks.com/

Being that this the 1st CDMA/GSM (Tie if you count Droid Pro) Android device I would wait and see.
Last edited by firebrain; 16th November 2010 at 08:32 PM.
16th November 2010, 10:12 PM   |  #17  

180 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrain

This has been done before on Windows Mobile phones (CDMA HTC Touch Pro 2) and requires a radio reflash since the bands are locked in the radio firmware. I am hoping they will develop a solution for Android phones. http://rhodiumw.htc-unlocks.com/

Being that this the 1st CDMA/GSM (Tie if you count Droid Pro) Android device I would wait and see.

Good info, thanks
16th November 2010, 11:38 PM   |  #18  
OP Member
Flag Pittsburgh

71 posts
Donate to Me
More
As from what I learned from previous devices the Droid 2 Global Verizon has a security locked radio. I have seen people unlock the radios from windows mobile phones, it is as easy as installing a .zip file that will unlock the security. I believe it is the same way with the Droid 2 Global. I will try to get this working but I don’t have much knowledge in the development field. But I do know you will have to be rooted. I have also spoke with a friend at Verizon, which claims that they did indeed lock the radios and there is a workaround. He said he was not familiar with this workaround but said it was close to the problem with the windows mobile security locked devices. I am calling this the official reason the phone wont work with US networks. This makes sense, and now that we found the problem it shouldn’t be long before we find a way around it.
17th November 2010, 01:06 AM   |  #19  

180 posts
Thanks for the info swangotp...that definitely sounds promising. Keep us posted!
17th November 2010, 02:55 PM   |  #20  
Thanks Meter: 2

512 posts
subscribing to this thread... I know this is possible.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread