XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Super annoying spam [solved]

Tip us?

teacher1960
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Default Super annoying spam [solved]

A while ago my tab started to give me spam on the statusbar in the form of plus signs or stars or somesuch. The idiot message which followed was always something like:
You have won an iPad
If you clicked on the message, a browser opened and brought you to a website:
Xapush.com (may their souls rot forever in hell).
Trust me you have no idea what annoying is before you keep getting these superspammy messages on your already crowded statusbar of all places.
These constant unwanted message brought annoying to a whole new level way beyond spam email and even SMS spam.
At the xapush website they offered me an app that once installed would stop the spam.
YEAH RIGHT, that's going to happen, I'll install an app full of pus and filth from the scum of the earth.!!!
I tried to locate the app which had brought this evil infestation to my tab but I have many apps and I couldn't find it.
I searched XDA and googled and found that some harebrains knowingly put this into their innocent looking apps (probably for thirty pieces of silver) without telling their users that these apps work like a malicious virusinfection.
After much Googling I found that some hero (bless his kind soul) has put a free solution on the market:
Airpush Detector
It doesn't take away the filth, but it tells you which infested app you have to uninstall to make this utter **** go away.
I'M FREEEEE!!!!
Phones: Wallaby, Alpine, Universal, Athena x7510, Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...

Heroes:Richard Stallmann, Richard Dawkins, James Randi, Penn&Teller, Linus Thorvalds, Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin, Noam Chomsky
The Following User Says Thank You to teacher1960 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

laurentppol
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Much simpler method?

Hi there,
I think there is MUCH simpler method (but a bit forgotten):
"MVPs hosts file" + our own edit.

This is applicable for ROOTED devices (as You have to edit file in "system" /etc/ directory).

I have simply added to my /etc/hosts (which is "MVPs"), an entry like this:
127.0.0.1 <TAB>xapush.com

Now, requests to xapush.com go to "nowhere", as there is NO server on lo on Android...

Crazy adds gone

Wawrzyniec (Laurent)
The Following User Says Thank You to laurentppol For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]