This tool is now deprecated. To root your Evo 4G running Gingerbread you will need to use the Revolutionary tool that can be found at http://www.revolutionary.io.
I'm sorry to do it but due to the ridiculous amount of people who are still asking for help rooting gingerbread, I will no longer be supporting this tool what so ever. Any further emails I receive about it will be deleted.
This will make a backup of your WiMAX partition and the RSA keys that are stored on it; backing up your RSA keys separate is not necessary. It will save it in the AutoRoot folder so be sure not to delete it.
If you run into any problems please include the following information with your post: Any methods you have previously tried to root with, what it did last plus any error messages it may have given (if you can right click, select all and copy it from the terminal), and if you are in the bootloader we need to know what the top two lines say. Running this will create a log file named: autorootlog.txt. Please post this as well.
Any feedback no matter good or bad is appreciated! Let me know how it works for you.
Randy (randyshear on youtube) has made a great video of the process if you would like to get an idea of what to expect before hand. It is important to note that, depending on your phone, the process may be slightly more involved or require more or less time.
HTC EVO 4G ** ROOT AND NAND UNLOCK ** AUTOROOT V 2.2 ** HOW TO **
This has been confirmed working with:
Software versions 1.32, 1.36, 3.29, 3.30 & 3.70
hBoot Version .76, .93, .97, 2.02 & 2.10
Thanks go to
HTC for making the phone to begin with
Sebastian Khramer for his rageagainstthecage exploit
Toastcfh for his tutorial and all of his work on improving the Evo, a lot of this is borrowed from his previous work
Amon_RA for his recoveries and for his quick work creating a recovery compatible with the new NAND blocks
Calkulin for collecting all of the radios and update images
Whosdaman, Football and Sniper911 for sharing the RUUs with us
The Unrevoked Crew for all of their hard work on the Unrevoked Forever s-off tool
amoamare and Zikronix for all of their hard work on rooting phones with the 2.02 hboot
chris1683 for his Sprint Lovers ROM
Netarchy for all of the great kernels
A huge thanks goes out to Dan0412 who took the time to debug this for version 003 2.02 phones
Schnick1 and tauzins for their help with getting ADB to act right
Props go to RyanZA and anyone else who worked on the z4root app. I wouldn't have got 3.70 rooted as fast as I did if I didn't have their app to learn from.
You Will Need:
If you have an older phone and don't want to flash Unrevoked Forever or Sprint Lovers w/ the radio updates you can have it skip them. It will just flash the engineering bootloader to unlock the NAND and then flash the recovery directly from there. You will need to update everything and flash a custom ROM on your own. This will only work if your phone has a version .9x hBoot.
Instructions for Quick method:
AutoRoot v2.5 - Full Root Zip (MD5: 5E1BF365F3B5479329896BD55C33678E)
AutoRoot v2.5 - Tools Only (MD5: 5DBA70A8CDD052A9908E4F43D6BBC669)
The following are the ROMs pulled out of the RUUs, you can flash them by renaming and putting it on your sd card or from your computer with fastboot using the included FlashZip script.
Sprint Evos (USA):
3.29.651.5_PC36IMG.zip (MD5: 2F5046C0FC6FE61114EBC53D5997B485)
3.30.651.2_PC36IMG.zip (MD5: 4A2CAB264244C79B2E2BE9E3CFE2B503)
3.70.651.1_PC36IMG.zip (MD5: 7056D42812AA5DF03FCC8DDDC2B64E85)
KDDI Evos (Japan):
1.05.970.1_PC36IMG.zip (MD5: 78F9E8BFEE705F34790A46C258268F02)
How to unlock Nand Protection ~ Part-2
RA-evo-v1.8.0 (a modified version is included)
RUU to restore 3.29.651.5
RUU to restore 3.30.651.2
RUU to restore 3.70.651.1 (Thanks to 911Sniper for the original mirror)
Sprint Lovers ROM (a modified version is included)
Changes for v2.5
- Script now checks for Admin Priveledges and kills HTC Sync Services for Sync 3.05
- Fixed issue recognizing build numbers
- It will attempt to back up Apps now
- Checks branding in order to recognize KDDI Evos
- Unrevoked forever will now be retried if it doesn't get run the first try
- Changed it so it will leave the phones in Fastboot mode if it fails
- Recognizes ADB issues easier now
Changes for v2.4
- Updated the ROM and Recovery
- The working directory is now saved correctly when the path has a space in it
- Fixed an error checking the firmware version that would cause the script to close
- Made it more capable of recovering when the phone is in an unknown state
- Fixed the SD card not being recognized with Eclair
- Some parts will check for the 'daemon' error messages and will call to fix it
- Made it so the MTD data is not saved unless it is recognized
- The script will continue if it times out while waiting on Unrevoked Forever
- The WiMAX partition is backed up through the ROM at the very beginning instead of through the Recovery
Changes for v2.3:
- Updated the ROM, Recovery and Radios
- The script will now recognize your phone at any point in the process and will continue where it left off
- Fixed the FlashRecovery script and made it so you can choose what to flash, just put your PC36IMG of choice in the folder with it and let it do the work
- Fixed the version checker so it doesn't get confused with custom ROMs anymore
- Quick mode checks your hboot version from the ROM now so it won't even try if you have a new bootloader
- It is much more tenacious going into the recovery, hopefully fixing the issue with ADB dropping out there
- Fixed a bug where the MTD block sizes were not always being remembered correctly
- Added more checks to make sure the phone is where it's supposed to be throughout the process
- Made it try harder to get the recovery log so it doesn't get missed as much
- Tweaked the timing some so it moves a little bit quicker and you only have to hit a button twice to exit instead of three times
- Fixed the infinite loops so they are now 95% shorter
Changes for v2.2:
- Updated the recovery to Amon RA's version 2.2.1
- MTD information for each phone is saved in case it is restarted and unable to find out.
- Fixed a bug where pre 3.xx ROMs were not being recognized correctly.
- Phones are explicitly called by their serial number to prevent confusion if an emulator starts or another phone gets plugged in.
- Unresponsive ADB daemons are killed to help prevent them for hanging or randomly restarting.
- Changed autoroot.log to autorootlog.txt to make it easier to attach
- Minor bug fixes.
Changes for v2.1:
- Updated the recovery to Amon RA's version 2.2
- Minor bug fixes
Changes for v2.0:
- Added an app to give ADB root and keep it active in 3.70
- Updated Sprint Lovers and Amon RA
- Removed the two separate kernels/recoveries for new and old phones
- Added a battery life check before flashing
- Checks Firmware versions in both the ROM and hBoot
- Checks that the Misc partition was flashed properly
- Fixed all of the bugs with Quick root, it no longer flashes Sprint Lovers if you run it with S-OFF
- It automatically restarts adbd where it would occasionally reset itself and get hung up
- It also kills adbd when it finishes so you can move/delete it
- Changed the bat that restarted adbd so it kills it instead
- Added a bat to flash AmonRA through Fastboot with non-Eng hBoots
- Added a bat to open a Cmd prompt already in the autoroot folder
- Rewrote a good portion of the script and cleaned it up a lot
- Made it more flexible so it doesn't get lost as easily
- Plus more I forgot
Contents of v2.5 Include:
Recovery is recovery-RA-supersonic-v2.3 with Netarchy's 4.3.2 CFS NoHAVS NoSBC NoUV
radios.zip is EVO_Radio_2.15.00.11.19_WiMAX_27167_R01_PRI_NV_1.9 0_003
URFSOff.zip is the Unrevoked Forever S-OFF tool
URFSOn.zip is the Unrevoked Forever S-ON tool
As always, this will void your warranty and may possibly damage your phone. You and you alone are responsible for anything that you do. Everything contained in this thread is for informational purposes only.