Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,161 Members 41,527 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

StreakMod Recovery

Tip us?

mistadman
Old
(Last edited by mistadman; 23rd November 2013 at 05:00 PM.) Reason: Properly closing this project
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Red face StreakMod Recovery

** UPDATE **
Needless to say, this project has been abandoned. However, please note the source for my contribution has been shared since day one and is still available (https://github.com/davidmroth). While I'm not available to provide individual support, I am more to happy to provide support of any new projects based off the Dell StreakMod Recovery source. Thanks you all for your support and encouragement!

INTRODUCTION
Here is a little project I have been working on for quite sometime now. It's another Recovery based on work from Koush (Clockwork). My goal was to create a Dell Streak specific implementation with a stock look and feel.

This is in early development and I am pretty sure it has bugs But hopefully, with feed back from the XDA community, this can become great tool.

FEATURES
  • Landscape orientation
  • Capacitive buttons
  • First stage of the two stage camera button works
  • Signature verification setting survives reboot (disabled by default) - Good suggestion gingernator007!
  • More to come!

In keeping with the open source spirit, the source is available @ https://github.com/davidmroth. Any suggestions or feedback will be greatly appreciated! Also, I will accept patches and contributions.

HOW TO INSTALL THE RECOVERY
  • Unzip and flash with: fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.img
  • Reboot with: fastboot -i 0x413c reboot
  • Hold down the keys "volume up" and "volume down" simultaneously while rebooting.
  • Select "Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card" in the menu
  • At the Dell Logo press the power button and you will be presented with the Recovery Menu

UPDATES
  • v0.3 - Nov 15, 2010 - Fixed bug reported by homeiss.
  • v0.3.1 - Nov 15, 2010 - Fixed typo reported by gingernator007. / Added enhancement suggested by gingernator007.
  • v0.3.1.1 - Nov 20, 2010 - Fixed bug with nanadroid restore / data part. not backing up correctly
  • v0.3.1.2 - Nov 20, 2010 - Fixed bug with nanadroid / .android_secure not backing up correctly
  • v0.3.1.3 - Dec 2, 2010 - Fixed bug with partial update.zip not installing correctly
  • v0.3.2 - Dec 6, 2010 - Nandroid backups are now fully compatible with the Dell Streak. /Firstboot is backup-up with during a nandroid backup operation. Signature verification disabled by default.
  • v0.3.2.5-beta - Dec 11, 2010 - Fixed file chooser. Now with scrolling!
  • v0.3.2.6-beta - Dec 12, 2010 - Fixed minor issue that may have prevent Dalvik-Cache and fix
    permissions from working correctly.
  • v03.2.7-DocterWFix - May 31, 2011 - Fixed issue with /firstboot issue that prevented successful backups for some
  • v03.2.8-beta - Jun 18, 2011 - Based on feedback from forum members, DoctorW has enabled the menu by default. No longer need to press the power button to enable the recovery menu.

OUTSTANDING BUGS:
  • Renaming backup folders with certain non-standard characters and spaces will cause the MD5 verification to fail - [severity: low] - Reported by @nickshertzer

FILING BUG REPORTS
If you feel that you have observed a bug with this recovery, please take the time to report it. ** IMPORTANT** If the directions below are not followed, this will limit my ability, or your peer's ability, to help you!! Our assistance is only as good as the description of your problem.

DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO FILE A BUG REPORT

2 Step Process:
  1. While in the recovery, navigate to the advance menu item, and click select by pressing either the menu key or the camera key. Next select "report error;" the file recovery.log will be automatically copied to the root of the SDCard. Please post the contents of the file in a new post in this thread.

2. Please also post a brief summary of your issue and provide the following details:
    1. Current ROM, i.e. Dell Froyo 318, DJ_Steve 1.5.1, etc...
    2. Android Version, i.e. 2.2, 2.1, 1.6, etc...
    3. Kernel and Baseband version (while booted normally, this info can be found by pressing the menu button and navigating to Settings, then About)

THANKS
I would like to thank all the folks who are working to make the Dell Streak one of the best smartphones available. I also would like to thank Koush, Amon_RA, DJ_Steve, DoctorW, smokku, and spences10 for their help and/or contributions. Last but not least, I would like to thank Google for a great OS!

A big special thanks to all who have provided feedback, suggestions, and bug reports!

!!! COMMON ISSUES !!!
StreakMod Recovery being overwritten by the stock recovery - If you are having issues with the stock recovery overwriting your custom recovery, please read this excellent guide on how to resolve: http://www.rdtk.net/2011/06/14/custo...n-dell-streak/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	device.jpg
Views:	8098
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	441405   Click image for larger version

Name:	device2.jpg
Views:	13657
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	441406   Click image for larger version

Name:	device3.jpg
Views:	10900
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	441407   Click image for larger version

Name:	device4.jpg
Views:	8965
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	461761  
Attached Files
File Type: zip recovery-v0.3.2.7-DoctorWFix.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.57 MB, 33924 views)
File Type: zip recovery-v0.3.2.8-beta.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.57 MB, 54244 views)
The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to mistadman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Azamatka
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Nice one! It would help dramatically, expecially to the newbies, if you kinda add some small hints there like 'press shut down button to go to upper menu'.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azamatka For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

homeiss
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Recovery looks good. I tried to do a nandroid backup a couple times but the screen just went black mid backup both times and I had to pull the battery. The third time I booted back in I was just looking through the menus and the screen went black again. Not sure what's causing this, just thought I would let you know.

Thanks for your work!
The Following User Says Thank You to homeiss For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mistadman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Thank homeiss! This is exactly the feedback I was looking for. Anyways, I uploaded a new version of the Recovery and the nandroid backup is working correctly. It seems as if the kernel was the culprit. Thanks again!!

gingernator007
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Very impressive work, much better than the hacked ported cw recovery we've had up until now. The only small issue I can find is that the 'advance' setting probably should read 'advanced' but that's just trying to find fault.

I think you should give it a better name so it's not confused with the stock dell recovery...how about Streakovery!
The Following User Says Thank You to gingernator007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

spences10
Old
Thanks Meter 44

DONATE TO ME
Awesome,

Glad to see it on the forums at last mistadman

I know you have put a hell of a lot of work into this [on IRC at what hour??] and the community here will only help strengthen the recovery

Downloading now
I have ORD

Nexus 5; Nexus 7

Circle Me or Follow Me

Android History: HTC Magic; DELL Streak; ZTE Blade; HTC Desire; Nexus S; HTC Desire Z; HTC Wildfire; LG Optimus 2x; HTC Hero, Acer Liquid Metal; HTC MyTouch 4G; Orange San Diego <SMH; Huawei Ascend G300; Samsung Galaxy Nexus; Nexus 4
The Following User Says Thank You to spences10 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gingernator007
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Looks like the choose zip option doesn't populate the whole folder directory of my sd card, only folders that start with a capital letter (and not all of them either). I would also like the ability to save the disable signing feature as this currently resets on boot.

Thanks again for all your work.
The Following User Says Thank You to gingernator007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lufc
Old
Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Thanks Meter 1,485

DONATE TO ME
Must say very surprised to see this did not know you was working on it
I will give it a sticky and thanks
Pay attention and participate,Encourage,
not discourage, Listen to advice and accept instruction,
and in the end you will be wise.......... Prov. 19:20

airbillion
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingernator007 View Post
Looks like the choose zip option doesn't populate the whole folder directory of my sd card, only folders that start with a capital letter (and not all of them either). I would also like the ability to save the disable signing feature as this currently resets on boot.

Thanks again for all your work.
Awesome work, Thanks! Just a heads up I have the same problem here. The whole folder is not populated on my SD card. Otherwise great work, this finally allows streak owners to have a working way to backup out streaks.

drgopoos
Old
Thanks Meter 477
Great to see more developers getting involved with streak.
Gud luk and keep it coming.