Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,461 Members 47,512 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[App] UC Browser, another amazing Browser replacement from China

Tip us?

Just_s
Old
(Last edited by Just_s; 24th November 2010 at 02:08 AM.) Reason: Now with pinch-to-zoom
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 629
Default [App] UC Browser, another amazing Browser replacement from China

Lately, it seems like there has been an influx of Android goodies from China. Some of this stuff is pretty amazing, like the MIUI ROM. A couple of weeks ago, I discovered the "MIUI" -aka Charming, aka Miren- Browser and was stoked to get that thing in a translated form. It is speedy and has a pretty cool interface. You can find a number of posts on XDA (here, here, and here among them).

Everyone I have talked to who has used the Miren browser has been jazzed about how much better it is than the traditional options (stock, Dolphin, Fennec/FF, Opera, SkyFire, Xscope, etc.) and I too have been impressed.

Yesterday, I discovered yet another browser, this one also from China and I have to say, so far it has blown me away! I have been preaching on the Miren browser for a week, but This new UC browser is simply the best mobile browser I have used. I have only had it for about twelve hours, so I don't know what the full capabilities are or if there are any major bugs, but so far, I am incredibly impressed.

It can be a little tricky to locate and I am hesitant to post the apk here as it appears to work with hundreds of handsets in different formats. i will post the link where I found it and you can do your own research on which version to grab. This is the English language site (on a side note, these guys are PROS! Just check out the flawless translations in the various languages and you can see that they take immense pride in their product and work. You'd be hard pressed to find other Android devs who have the time or skill to provide such clean sites in multiple languages. Provides me as an end user with a lot of confidence in the final product.)

UC Browser

Pretty amazing specs includes all the typical options, some less prevelant ones and a few atypical inclusions such as built in File Manager, Night Mode lighting and super fast URL autocomplete. The only shortcoming so far is I can't find anyway to get pinch to zoom on this thing, but I am submitting a query to the devs on that.

Edit: Thanks to jpyounis1 for figuring out the pinch-to-zoom settings!

To enable pinch to zoom change user agent to "web ua" then browse mode to "zoom mode" and ur done. Now you have full pages with intelligent fit.

Edit2: Unfortunately, so far as I can tell, no flash support in 7.2. For now I will have to stick with Miren and Skyfire as my main browsers and keep UC as an alternate until 7.4 is available in English.

And it's pretty too...
...nothing is perfect...nothing is complete...nothing lasts forever...

|Rig [GalaxyNote3] |Rom [Stock, Rooted, Xposed] |Kernel [Stock]|Recovery [Stock]|Base [MI7]

Stellar cloud solutions COPY.COM, DROPBOX, the awesome new ONEDRIVE & JottaCloud!
The Following User Says Thank You to Just_s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ninjajtm
Old
Thanks Meter 1
thanks for the find

Adevem
Old
Thanks Meter 78
looks damn sweet, thanks for the share, gonna try it out!

Sony Xperia Z2

dadoc04
Old
Thanks Meter 574

DONATE TO ME
interesting... ill try it out.

thanks for the post

Adevem
Old
(Last edited by Adevem; 18th November 2010 at 12:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 78
the "built-in" facebook scared me, security issues and all that :eek:

other than that this looks really sleek and nice, gonna try it out for a few days.

Sony Xperia Z2

Just_s
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 629
I was pretty psyched by the prospect of this browser, but if they don't have the ability to integrate pinch-to-zoom it might be a bust. That would be a shame because in all other respects this browser is superior to most others.

I guess I will wait and see what response i get from the devs.

|Rig [GalaxyNote3] |Rom [Stock, Rooted, Xposed] |Kernel [Stock]|Recovery [Stock]|Base [MI7]

Stellar cloud solutions COPY.COM, DROPBOX, the awesome new ONEDRIVE & JottaCloud!

jpyounis1
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Yea I really like this browser. Looks great and its ui is superior. I think its better than miren browser and is my new default. I think between this and firefox take the cake.

To enable pinch to zoom change user agent to web ua then browse mode to zoom mode and ur done. Now you have full pages with intelligent fit. Love it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
HTC DROID DNA
Patiently Waiting For CM10 - Thanks guys, Cant Wait!!!

Just_s
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpyounis1 View Post
Yea I really like this browser. Looks great and its ui is superior. I think its better than miren browser and is my new default. I think between this and firefox take the cake.

To enable pinch to zoom change user agent to web ua then browse mode to zoom mode and ur done. Now you have full pages with intelligent fit. Love it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Awesome, thanks for discovering that. I thought I had tried that combo, but it must have been the "zoom Mode(Compressed)" that I tried. Now this is my favorite browser

PollPixx
Old
Thanks Meter 530
thanks for sharing, looks great!

mizch
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Anybody knows what that compression means:

Quote:
Advanced compression technology can reduce data costs by up to 85%, making mobile surfing cheaper.
Does it mean that traffic goes through third party servers?

Tags
browser, china, lightning fast, miren, uc browser