Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,418 Members 46,319 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Automated GPS on/off and sync on "autopilot"

Tip us?

HoundDK
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Question Automated GPS on/off and sync on "autopilot"

Hi,

I puzzed why entering navigation (Google or Premium...same issue) doesn't automatically turn on the GPS and disable it on exit. The car panel setup allows for automatic turn on of bluetooth, but again no automation of GPS turn on/off. So I'm wondering if there an app out there, that will turn on GPS when charged and disable it again when disconnected from the charger? That would do the trick IMO.

Also, if anybody knows of an app that will automate syncing of the standard accounts (i.e. stock, exchange, facebook etc.) depending on time of day and weekday, I'm very interested? Exchange ActiveSync could be ex. be synced "upon new mail" during 8-17 and in user defined, reduced intervals (hourly, every 2 hours etc.) or completely off for the rest of the day/night. You might want to get updates on facebook, gmail, sense, news etc. a couple of times during workhours, but then more frequently when off work. You might change setting for the weekend and hollidays. Could be a very neat app - if it's out there?

Thanks guys!

Doktaphex
Old
Thanks Meter 424
If you leave GPS enabled then when you open nav software it turns on and when you close it it turns off, there is no extra battery drain from leaving it enabled all the time, at least none that I have found.

bobbyelliott
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I don't think many people appreciate this. Lots of posts about GPS disabled to save battery life. As you write, on GPS-aware apps turn on GPS so the battery drain is minimal.

My experience of the Desire HD is that the GPS and wi-fi radios are very efficient in terms of battery life but the 3G radio is absolutely and utterly fecking terrible and runs the thing down at an astonishing rate. HTC need to re-engineer this software urgently.

goofy584
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Default tasker

Hello,
I use "tasker" to define a task to switch on/off the GPS when running a specific application. works fine!
Thomas

SunjinSak
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy584 View Post
Hello,
I use "tasker" to define a task to switch on/off the GPS when running a specific application. works fine!
Thomas
+1 for Tasker.

I don't use it to turn GPS on/off as you don't need to - just leave it enabled and it'll only be called upon when an app needs it.

What I do use Tasker for though is turning auto-sync on and off depending on the time of day. I believe that is similar to what you're looking for?

Sent from my X10i using XDA App
Devices: SGS3-I9300 Blackstar V3 | DHD 2.3.3 Stock | TF101 4.0.4 Stock

HoundDK
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunjinSak View Post
+1 for Tasker.

I don't use it to turn GPS on/off as you don't need to - just leave it enabled and it'll only be called upon when an app needs it.

What I do use Tasker for though is turning auto-sync on and off depending on the time of day. I believe that is similar to what you're looking for?

Sent from my X10i using XDA App
Will try to leave the GPS on to check if it in fact doesn't affect battery drain unless called upon by an app.

Tasker sounds very intesting so thanks a lot!