Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

Automated GPS on/off and sync on "autopilot"

OP HoundDK

18th November 2010, 09:40 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

179 posts
More
Hi,

I puzzed why entering navigation (Google or Premium...same issue) doesn't automatically turn on the GPS and disable it on exit. The car panel setup allows for automatic turn on of bluetooth, but again no automation of GPS turn on/off. So I'm wondering if there an app out there, that will turn on GPS when charged and disable it again when disconnected from the charger? That would do the trick IMO.

Also, if anybody knows of an app that will automate syncing of the standard accounts (i.e. stock, exchange, facebook etc.) depending on time of day and weekday, I'm very interested? Exchange ActiveSync could be ex. be synced "upon new mail" during 8-17 and in user defined, reduced intervals (hourly, every 2 hours etc.) or completely off for the rest of the day/night. You might want to get updates on facebook, gmail, sense, news etc. a couple of times during workhours, but then more frequently when off work. You might change setting for the weekend and hollidays. Could be a very neat app - if it's out there?

Thanks guys!
18th November 2010, 09:50 PM   |  #2  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 426

1,430 posts
More
If you leave GPS enabled then when you open nav software it turns on and when you close it it turns off, there is no extra battery drain from leaving it enabled all the time, at least none that I have found.
18th November 2010, 11:12 PM   |  #3  
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 9

256 posts
More
I don't think many people appreciate this. Lots of posts about GPS disabled to save battery life. As you write, on GPS-aware apps turn on GPS so the battery drain is minimal.

My experience of the Desire HD is that the GPS and wi-fi radios are very efficient in terms of battery life but the 3G radio is absolutely and utterly fecking terrible and runs the thing down at an astonishing rate. HTC need to re-engineer this software urgently.
19th November 2010, 09:57 AM   |  #4  
Flag Montpellier
Thanks Meter: 29

317 posts
More
tasker
Hello,
I use "tasker" to define a task to switch on/off the GPS when running a specific application. works fine!
Thomas
19th November 2010, 03:44 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 3

58 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy584

Hello,
I use "tasker" to define a task to switch on/off the GPS when running a specific application. works fine!
Thomas

+1 for Tasker.

I don't use it to turn GPS on/off as you don't need to - just leave it enabled and it'll only be called upon when an app needs it.

What I do use Tasker for though is turning auto-sync on and off depending on the time of day. I believe that is similar to what you're looking for?

Sent from my X10i using XDA App
19th November 2010, 07:48 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

179 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunjinSak

+1 for Tasker.

I don't use it to turn GPS on/off as you don't need to - just leave it enabled and it'll only be called upon when an app needs it.

What I do use Tasker for though is turning auto-sync on and off depending on the time of day. I believe that is similar to what you're looking for?

Sent from my X10i using XDA App

Will try to leave the GPS on to check if it in fact doesn't affect battery drain unless called upon by an app.

Tasker sounds very intesting so thanks a lot!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread