Originally Posted by OuncE718
In my opinion you shouldn't upgrade a phone every couple of months unless you're a developer or unless you have upgrade-A-phone-Syndrome. I think if anyone has the Slide then you should hold off until some real ground breaking phone comes out before you upgrade. The only good I can say about the G2 vs the Slide is the faster processor. Yes I am aware of the larger screen and better resolution on the G2, but is it really worth leaving the Slide behind? The Slide does a lot for a phone. I don't think we realize how far technology has come. I think we sometimes take it for granted. Do you remember before cell phones there was beepers? Do you remember getting paged and having to return that call on a near by pay phone (I'm 21 years old by the way)? The Slide can browse the internet, record video's, take pictures with LED flash (some high end phones don't even have flash), play music, download music/video's from websites, wireless tether, voice turn by turn gps navigation for free, text/call hands free (genious button) etc. A lot of other smart phones still can not do some of the things the Slide can. PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS TO OFFENSE, BUT FEEL FREE TO RESPOND IN A RESPECTABLE MANNER. ANYONE CAN RESPOND!
Black myTouch Slide w/stock rom
Some people, this may be true, but for many there are very good reasons to upgrade that have nothing to do with the "A-phone-syndrome". I'm in the process of upgrading to the G2 myself now. I waited, but now that they broke the root I just cant justify staying any longer.
If I had to say there was only one single reason, I'd say for the mass of community support. The G2 is so much newer, yet there is much more support for it already on the forums. This is very important to me.
Other things to consider:
- There are now sense ports for it, as I wouldn't buy it with vanilla.
- Basic sense has no stupid faves/faves widgets, just the original HTC favorites. Much better
- Now with overclock kernels you can run it at 1.4ghz, and I hear it runs pretty fast! The espresso still hangs a bit sometimes, and at times, long enough to annoy me.
- You have full s-off.
- True full root. With the slide, you cant modify system apps while booted normally, or even reboot through adb shell. Annoying.
- Better resolution with a bigger screen.
- More storage.
- No genius button. I've had mine remapped since I bought the phone - not a fan of the genius app. And its slow.
-I prefer the keyboard, and I only buy phones with physical boards because I use them! Otherwise I'd buy all touch. Only downside is its still not 5 row like the good ol g1, but then again neither is the espresso. Still wins out for typing speed.
-There are now mods making it so that you can use the trackball to wake/sleep the phone like on the espresso, which was about the only other thing I didnt like. Top mounted power buttons = inconvenient.
- 4G network anybody?