Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,424 Members 36,232 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Use phone as bluetooth headset for tablet?

Tip us?

fatboislimm
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Lightbulb [Q] Use phone as bluetooth headset for tablet?

Okay this is what I've been wondering...is there anyway to use an Android phone as a bluetooth headset for the Galaxy Tab (or any Android tablet for that matter)? im planning on getting T-Mobile's prepaid Android 2.2 phone and i want to keep my minute usage down by using Google Voice on the tablet. And since they both have bluetooth capabilities it should be possible to use it in this manner, right? I do not want to use one of those hideous, uncomfortable bluetooth headsets because im already going to have a bluetooth device (the phone) with me that im more comfortable using. Is there any way to do this or an app that enables this functionality?

generalamerica
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Isn't that like call forwarding or something?

fatboislimm
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
no because your not forwarding your calls, your handling the call over bluetooth. this is what im talking about: people will call my tablet's Google Voice number, and I will be able to use my phone as a bluetooth headset for the tablet to take the call

its the same concept as bluetooth headsets today:
-you get a bluetooth headset
-you pair the headset with your phone
-you take calls on your phone but talk and listen through your bluetooth headset

the way im trying to do this is:
-you get a bluetooth-capable phone
-you pair the phone with your tablet
-you take calls on your tablet but talk and listen through your bluetooth phone

since the phone already has everything that a bluetooth headset has--microphone, earpiece, bluetooth radio-- it should be able to pair with the tablet and work in the same manner as a regular bluetooth headset
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatboislimm For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nectons2000
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default yes!

Im looking thos for months my friend. But no one seems to know anything. We are talkin for clever and serius programming so it is not so easy to find sonething.

jpalcantara
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Profile

I have been looking to do the same thing with my Samsung tab. Instead of walking around stucked to my face.

Yes I could use a BT headset, but it won't dial out. There is a specific Bluetooth profile to do this.

srtpusher
Old
Thanks Meter 11
i don't know much about this, but wouldn't the phone would need the bluetooth protocol that a headset uses? someone would have to make a program that would allow the phone to be used as a headset, but then also decide what gets priority if the phone needs to also access the mic or earpiece when you are on a call...

i don't mind simply using a bluetooth - that is more comfortable and flexible than me holding a phone in one hand.

Yuna
Old
Thanks Meter 58
I am seekung solution too.
Samsung Galaxy S IV (I9500)
The Following User Says Thank You to Yuna For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

junglizste
Old
Thanks Meter 18
I'm looking for a solution to this as well. But a different application.

using a tablet as a car-computer.

leave phone in pocket. take and view phone calls though tablet, which is mounted to dash, which is routed to the car audio system with strategically placed microphone built into dash.

I'm surprised no one has made this... seems like something many would be after.

xd4d3v
Old
Thanks Meter 3
looking for the same here :(
I want to buy a cheap tablet to leave in the car and use as a gps.
I'd like it to being able to be connected to my phone and work as a bluetooth hands free of sorts.

anyone has 2 android devices to try and connected and see what happens?

evlo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Me too - so i'm posting here to show that there is really demand for solution

Tags
android, app, bluetooth, phone, tablet