Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,296 Members 52,907 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

*WARNING* Unlocking to other network BREAKS MMS

Tip us?

scoob101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default *WARNING* Unlocking to other network BREAKS MMS

To anyone intending to buy an Omnia7 and unlock it to put on another network...

BEWARE - MMS WILL NOT WORK.

Theres no way to change MMS settings for your new carrier.

I bought one a couple of days ago, and fell into this trap. The phone is going back as a consequence.

at45
Old
Thanks Meter 8
MMS and other network settings can usually be configured via SMS. I'd call the new provider first and ask them to send you such a message. The phone should act on the information automatically.

Let me know if this works.
Lumia 1020 / PiPo U8 / Lumia 620 / Omnia 7.8 / Xperia X1

scoob101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by at45 View Post
MMS and other network settings can usually be configured via SMS. I'd call the new provider first and ask them to send you such a message. The phone should act on the information automatically.

Let me know if this works.
Good suggestion, but we already tried that. They sent two SMS, neither were received. Standard SMS works fine.

I assume Wp7 cannot be configured in this way

Necroman_AI
Old
Thanks Meter 10
You must use an app that can configure those options or try to find them on the test app of the Samsung...

This is because carriers block the auto configuration that WP7 makes use with the card you have inserted.

HTC made an app for that and i think LG can be configurated on the MFG app...

scoob101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necroman_AI View Post
You must use an app that can configure those options or try to find them on the test app of the Samsung...

This is because carriers block the auto configuration that WP7 makes use with the card you have inserted.

HTC made an app for that and i think LG can be configurated on the MFG app...
it appears Samsung also made an app, but me, and all the reviewers on the marketplace cannot get it to work. I'm left with a phone which can't support MMS. Very frustrated :(

Necroman_AI
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob101 View Post
it appears Samsung also made an app, but me, and all the reviewers on the marketplace cannot get it to work. I'm left with a phone which can't support MMS. Very frustrated :(
Thats really bad! Well i'm sure carriers will eventually get a WP7 configuration later, but can you try to obtain support from Samsung on the non working app?

scoob101
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necroman_AI View Post
Thats really bad! Well i'm sure carriers will eventually get a WP7 configuration later, but can you try to obtain support from Samsung on the non working app?
I will have a go with Samsung, but I`m not holding out much hope. It appears the carrier (Three) is blocking the configuration application from working. The only other thing I can think of is flashing the firmware with a stock samsung version. Anyone know if thats a possibility??

I`ve just been down to the 3 shop, and they won`t accept the phone back, because its been unlocked, funnily enough they didn`t mention this when I bought the phone and told them I`d be using it on O2.... I`ll speak to trading standards as well.

The saga continues.

at45
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob101 View Post
I`ve just been down to the 3 shop, and they won`t accept the phone back, because its been unlocked, funnily enough they didn`t mention this when I bought the phone and told them I`d be using it on O2.... I`ll speak to trading standards as well.
If you bought it in store and it's not faulty and is fit for purpose then they don't have to do anything as far as I'm aware. If you bought it remotely (online/phone) then you can return it without giving a reason within 14 days.

But since you've unlocked it that returns guarantee won't apply anymore as it's not in the condition it was in when sold. Your only grounds would be a fault or not fit for purpose, and the purpose was to work on the 3 network which I assume it does. And in neither case would they be obliged to give you a refund, just a replacement (which presumably would be locked to 3 again).

If I were you, I'd ask your preferred service provider (the new one) to re-flash it in their service centre, as that'll probably be their version of the firmware with their MMS settings. There will probably be a charge since they didn't supply the phone.

Have you checked if the Samsung Diagnostics tool can help you out?
Lumia 1020 / PiPo U8 / Lumia 620 / Omnia 7.8 / Xperia X1

josquin
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I have a T-Mobile UK phone unlocked and I'm using it on AT&T in the US. I have the same problem.

Everything else works great on the phone (including 3G) but not MMS.

secany
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I think I can help you relock it again.
Please try *7465625*638*XXXXXXXX#
which XXXXXXXX is an random number or the code you got from me before

Tags
mms