T-Mobile "Blocking" WiFi Tethering by Detecting & Denying Browser User Agent
Just thought I'd share my experience. I was surfing on my G2 (running stock w/ the first OTA update installed, phone was not temp rooted) last night and I got this txt:
Free T-Mobile Msg: Phone Tethering & Wi-Fi Sharing access may be blocked unless you add a Phone Tethering & Wi-Fi Sharing plan available at my.t-mobile.com
I didn't think anything of it since I am on vacation and didn't even bring a laptop to tether with... until I got another text later that night:
Free T-Mobile Msg: Phone Tethering & Wi-Fi Sharing access has been blocked. Please add a Phone Tethering & Wi-Fi Sharing plan available at my.t-mobile.com
Sure enough, as soon as that was sent EVERY page I tried in the Dolphin browser I was using redirected to a generic "buy tethering for $10" placeholder! After a few moments I realized they were trying to detect what kind of browser I was using and seem to be blocking certain browsers from getting online. I was surfing on my G2 with Dolphin's "user agent" set to "desktop." I changed the setting to "Android" and have had no issues since. I am able to visit "full" sites and even stream embeded flash movies, java, etc.
Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App