Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

T-Mobile "Blocking" WiFi Tethering by Detecting & Denying Browser User Agent

OP ochlo

19th November 2010, 11:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
More
Just thought I'd share my experience. I was surfing on my G2 (running stock w/ the first OTA update installed, phone was not temp rooted) last night and I got this txt:
Free T-Mobile Msg: Phone Tethering & Wi-Fi Sharing access may be blocked unless you add a Phone Tethering & Wi-Fi Sharing plan available at my.t-mobile.com

I didn't think anything of it since I am on vacation and didn't even bring a laptop to tether with... until I got another text later that night:
Free T-Mobile Msg: Phone Tethering & Wi-Fi Sharing access has been blocked. Please add a Phone Tethering & Wi-Fi Sharing plan available at my.t-mobile.com

Sure enough, as soon as that was sent EVERY page I tried in the Dolphin browser I was using redirected to a generic "buy tethering for $10" placeholder! After a few moments I realized they were trying to detect what kind of browser I was using and seem to be blocking certain browsers from getting online. I was surfing on my G2 with Dolphin's "user agent" set to "desktop." I changed the setting to "Android" and have had no issues since. I am able to visit "full" sites and even stream embeded flash movies, java, etc.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App
20th November 2010, 01:50 AM   |  #2  
San Diego, CA
Thanks Meter: 613

1,808 posts
More
so u changed dolphins user agent and wifi tethering continued to work without issues? ur last sentence just isn't very clear.

20th November 2010, 04:42 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2

27 posts
He is saying that browsing on dolphin browser with user agent set to "desktop" was b being blocked. Changing back to "android" fixed it. He was not using wifi-tether at all.

20th November 2010, 04:57 AM   |  #4  

27 posts
OP: what rom are you running? Are you stock? I have not had this problem while running Cyanogen 6.1rc

20th November 2010, 10:08 AM   |  #5  
Flag Sacramento

52 posts
More
If this is the case, t-mobile may remove the block for you on a per-account basis if you complain about now being able to use your device fully..
21st November 2010, 07:20 PM   |  #6  
Flag Arlington TX
Thanks Meter: 11

106 posts
More
I just changed my user agent to desktop in the stock browser. If they block me I will call 611 and raise hell, I will not be blocked from using my "unlimited" web plan. I am all stock no root.
22nd November 2010, 02:04 AM   |  #7  
Flag Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Meter: 282

1,880 posts
More
Does anybody encounter similar problem with Skyfire?
It appears the problem happens on Dolphin and I heard nothing on Skyfire (and I have no problem).
22nd November 2010, 07:25 AM   |  #8  
Flag Tacoma, WA
Thanks Meter: 20

252 posts
More
Odd, I was tethering with Android wifi tether, and have not received that message.
22nd November 2010, 10:05 AM   |  #9  
Flag snailem
Thanks Meter: 0

16 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruleftbehind

If this is the case, t-mobile may remove the block for you on a per-account basis if you complain about now being able to use your device fully..

there is no possible way to do that.
22nd November 2010, 10:13 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 5

102 posts
Why not? Do you work for tmobile? Not challenging you, just saying if this is the case where its now hardcoded into the network, then we should think about raising hell to corporate!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread