MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Samsung thinks that 2.2 is a marketing Gimmick?

OP CharlieBoy808

20th November 2010, 08:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Honolulu
Thanks Meter: 4

87 posts
More
Ok I know that its bad to jump to conclusions on this but I was listening to a recent podcast on Engadget where they were talking about Samsung devices. I saw it on their site and I knew I just had to listen having a Vibrant. I was enjoying their bashing about on things and then they mentioned that a Samsung rep told them that they think of 2.2 as a marketing gimmick. I'm sure that's just some guy who doesn't understand what 2.2 or 2.3 do for our phones.

But what do you think about that? I mean looking at how long it takes to get updates for the phone, does a part of you believe that this maybe true?

What's your thoughts?

hmm i can't post the link since i read more than i post but it's on engadget's site and here's the rest of the URL after .com

/2010/11/13/engadget-podcast-219-11-13-2010/

At about 00:17:25 of the podcast.
20th November 2010, 09:25 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 8

183 posts
More
it doesn't really matter we get 2.2 or 2.3(your dream only) or not. It only matters they sell it more or even more.
20th November 2010, 05:49 PM   |  #3  
Flag Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 0

25 posts
Donate to Me
More
Well, I can almost guarantee that the Froyo update is gonna be held until after the holiday season. T-Mobile is as guilty as Samsung for this. They think that people will opt for the newer phones with 2.2 and don't want their sales diminished by having it available on older handsets.

Personally, I don't think the average consumer cares that much. Only people like us and similar communities keep on top of what each version does better than it's predecessor.

In the end, you're far better off flashing one of the ROMs here anyway. I've got buddies at work still kickin' it with the G1 due to it's versatility. Why would I want the 2.2 update from T-mobile? Crappy TouchWiz, bloatware and all that nastiness. Only thing I can see it useful for is if I wanted to send in the phone for warranty work.
20th November 2010, 06:10 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 3

293 posts
+1 im on the onyx rom right now and tell you the truth the only thing i want an official 2.2 froyo from tmobile would be to iron out the very lil tiny things thats wrong on this rom other than that i can care less ..

as for gingerbread 2.3 im pretty sure we will have it due to the amazing work of people like som, viral, eugene, and master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGaines

Well, I can almost guarantee that the Froyo update is gonna be held until after the holiday season. T-Mobile is as guilty as Samsung for this. They think that people will opt for the newer phones with 2.2 and don't want their sales diminished by having it available on older handsets.

Personally, I don't think the average consumer cares that much. Only people like us and similar communities keep on top of what each version does better than it's predecessor.

In the end, you're far better off flashing one of the ROMs here anyway. I've got buddies at work still kickin' it with the G1 due to it's versatility. Why would I want the 2.2 update from T-mobile? Crappy TouchWiz, bloatware and all that nastiness. Only thing I can see it useful for is if I wanted to send in the phone for warranty work.

20th November 2010, 06:36 PM   |  #5  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 69

1,343 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez92

+1 im on the onyx rom right now and tell you the truth the only thing i want an official 2.2 froyo from tmobile would be to iron out the very lil tiny things thats wrong on this rom other than that i can care less ..

as for gingerbread 2.3 im pretty sure we will have it due to the amazing work of people like som, viral, eugene, and master.

I am running an unofficial Froyo ROM, and yet to find "wrong", ymmv.
20th November 2010, 06:46 PM   |  #6  
Flag St. Louis
Thanks Meter: 173

1,057 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBoy808

Ok I know that its bad to jump to conclusions on this but I was listening to a recent podcast on Engadget where they were talking about Samsung devices. I saw it on their site and I knew I just had to listen having a Vibrant. I was enjoying their bashing about on things and then they mentioned that a Samsung rep told them that they think of 2.2 as a marketing gimmick. I'm sure that's just some guy who doesn't understand what 2.2 or 2.3 do for our phones.

But what do you think about that? I mean looking at how long it takes to get updates for the phone, does a part of you believe that this maybe true?

What's your thoughts?

hmm i can't post the link since i read more than i post but it's on engadget's site and here's the rest of the URL after .com

/2010/11/13/engadget-podcast-219-11-13-2010/

At about 00:17:25 of the podcast.

Well, considering that a Vibrant Froyo ROM already leaked, either that Samsung Rep is full of crap (likely), or Engadget staff is (even MORE likely).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGaines

If that were the case, ATT, Sprint, and Verizon would all have released Froyo for their GalaxyS devices. So yeah, I pin the blame on Samsung...
20th November 2010, 08:35 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag Honolulu
Thanks Meter: 4

87 posts
More
I do find it hard to believe that t-mobile is to blame here considering the other galaxy s devices that have yet to implement as well.

And yes it's true a rom here would be a lot better. Not to say that an official rom would be terrible. All roms have bugs, but you would think by now that samsung would want the best for their consumers. Even if they don't know what 2.2 is. Oh and if you were wondering, yes I'm still on the stock rom. I'm just not ready to redo all my settings on my phone when I update to a new rom.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App
20th November 2010, 08:48 PM   |  #8  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 69

1,343 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBoy808

I do find it hard to believe that t-mobile is to blame here considering the other galaxy s devices that have yet to implement as well.

And yes it's true a rom here would be a lot better. Not to say that an official rom would be terrible. All roms have bugs, but you would think by now that samsung would want the best for their consumers. Even if they don't know what 2.2 is. Oh and if you were wondering, yes I'm still on the stock rom. I'm just not ready to redo all my settings on my phone when I update to a new rom.

Yeah, I am frustrated with the Samsung heading into Android as well.
They marketed Galaxy S as a such a great phone (which it is) with the ability to upgrade it to the latest (at the time of the launch) OS within months, yet they have released new hardware - Galaxy Tab - with 2.2, and keep the Galaxy S phone users out dry - thanks to these boards I do not have to rely on them, but I did void the warranty by rooting my device and installing the custom ROM. And now they are already marketing Gingerbread platform that will ultimately become second Google dev phone, and again let everyone dry on a Galaxy S phone market.
I do want to get the real Google phone, and knowing that I don't have to rely on the carriers to release the update for me, but seeing how it will be a Samsung device makes me uneasy.
Last edited by lqaddict; 20th November 2010 at 08:51 PM.
20th November 2010, 09:33 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 31

143 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict

I do want to get the real Google phone, and knowing that I don't have to rely on the carriers to release the update for me, but seeing how it will be a Samsung device makes me uneasy.

Nexus S could be a good thing. Very good hardware, Samsung, combined with the best OS development, Google.
20th November 2010, 09:50 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 196

3,613 posts
More
Can't google release the firmwares to our phone?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread