Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,633 Members 37,971 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung thinks that 2.2 is a marketing Gimmick?

Tip us?

CharlieBoy808
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Samsung thinks that 2.2 is a marketing Gimmick?

Ok I know that its bad to jump to conclusions on this but I was listening to a recent podcast on Engadget where they were talking about Samsung devices. I saw it on their site and I knew I just had to listen having a Vibrant. I was enjoying their bashing about on things and then they mentioned that a Samsung rep told them that they think of 2.2 as a marketing gimmick. I'm sure that's just some guy who doesn't understand what 2.2 or 2.3 do for our phones.

But what do you think about that? I mean looking at how long it takes to get updates for the phone, does a part of you believe that this maybe true?

What's your thoughts?

hmm i can't post the link since i read more than i post but it's on engadget's site and here's the rest of the URL after .com

/2010/11/13/engadget-podcast-219-11-13-2010/

At about 00:17:25 of the podcast.

zerosource
Old
Thanks Meter 8
it doesn't really matter we get 2.2 or 2.3(your dream only) or not. It only matters they sell it more or even more.

KGaines
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Well, I can almost guarantee that the Froyo update is gonna be held until after the holiday season. T-Mobile is as guilty as Samsung for this. They think that people will opt for the newer phones with 2.2 and don't want their sales diminished by having it available on older handsets.

Personally, I don't think the average consumer cares that much. Only people like us and similar communities keep on top of what each version does better than it's predecessor.

In the end, you're far better off flashing one of the ROMs here anyway. I've got buddies at work still kickin' it with the G1 due to it's versatility. Why would I want the 2.2 update from T-mobile? Crappy TouchWiz, bloatware and all that nastiness. Only thing I can see it useful for is if I wanted to send in the phone for warranty work.

Rodriguez92
Old
Thanks Meter 3
+1 im on the onyx rom right now and tell you the truth the only thing i want an official 2.2 froyo from tmobile would be to iron out the very lil tiny things thats wrong on this rom other than that i can care less ..

as for gingerbread 2.3 im pretty sure we will have it due to the amazing work of people like som, viral, eugene, and master.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGaines View Post
Well, I can almost guarantee that the Froyo update is gonna be held until after the holiday season. T-Mobile is as guilty as Samsung for this. They think that people will opt for the newer phones with 2.2 and don't want their sales diminished by having it available on older handsets.

Personally, I don't think the average consumer cares that much. Only people like us and similar communities keep on top of what each version does better than it's predecessor.

In the end, you're far better off flashing one of the ROMs here anyway. I've got buddies at work still kickin' it with the G1 due to it's versatility. Why would I want the 2.2 update from T-mobile? Crappy TouchWiz, bloatware and all that nastiness. Only thing I can see it useful for is if I wanted to send in the phone for warranty work.

lqaddict
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez92 View Post
+1 im on the onyx rom right now and tell you the truth the only thing i want an official 2.2 froyo from tmobile would be to iron out the very lil tiny things thats wrong on this rom other than that i can care less ..

as for gingerbread 2.3 im pretty sure we will have it due to the amazing work of people like som, viral, eugene, and master.
I am running an unofficial Froyo ROM, and yet to find "wrong", ymmv.
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it.
-- Linus Torvalds

reuthermonkey
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBoy808 View Post
Ok I know that its bad to jump to conclusions on this but I was listening to a recent podcast on Engadget where they were talking about Samsung devices. I saw it on their site and I knew I just had to listen having a Vibrant. I was enjoying their bashing about on things and then they mentioned that a Samsung rep told them that they think of 2.2 as a marketing gimmick. I'm sure that's just some guy who doesn't understand what 2.2 or 2.3 do for our phones.

But what do you think about that? I mean looking at how long it takes to get updates for the phone, does a part of you believe that this maybe true?

What's your thoughts?

hmm i can't post the link since i read more than i post but it's on engadget's site and here's the rest of the URL after .com

/2010/11/13/engadget-podcast-219-11-13-2010/

At about 00:17:25 of the podcast.
Well, considering that a Vibrant Froyo ROM already leaked, either that Samsung Rep is full of crap (likely), or Engadget staff is (even MORE likely).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGaines View Post
If that were the case, ATT, Sprint, and Verizon would all have released Froyo for their GalaxyS devices. So yeah, I pin the blame on Samsung...

^ TMO LTE ^---------------|--------------------|----------------^ ATT LTE ^
Nexus 4 (ROM: Rooted Stock 4.4.2)
Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ (ROM: Rooted Stock 4.2)
Nexus 7 (ROM: Stock Rooted 4.4)

retired: Samsung Nexus S 4G | Kindle Fire | Samsung Vibrant w/ FFC | HTC Hero CDMA | iPhone | HTC Dream/G1

CharlieBoy808
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
I do find it hard to believe that t-mobile is to blame here considering the other galaxy s devices that have yet to implement as well.

And yes it's true a rom here would be a lot better. Not to say that an official rom would be terrible. All roms have bugs, but you would think by now that samsung would want the best for their consumers. Even if they don't know what 2.2 is. Oh and if you were wondering, yes I'm still on the stock rom. I'm just not ready to redo all my settings on my phone when I update to a new rom.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App
The road not taken leads to the road that has yet to be discovered.
=============================
Samsung Galaxy Note II - Stock T889UVMD1 (Odexed)
Samsung Vibrant - MIUI
Samsung SideKick 4G - Stock... GF broke her phone
Kindle Fire - Jelly Bean

lqaddict
Old
(Last edited by lqaddict; 20th November 2010 at 07:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBoy808 View Post
I do find it hard to believe that t-mobile is to blame here considering the other galaxy s devices that have yet to implement as well.

And yes it's true a rom here would be a lot better. Not to say that an official rom would be terrible. All roms have bugs, but you would think by now that samsung would want the best for their consumers. Even if they don't know what 2.2 is. Oh and if you were wondering, yes I'm still on the stock rom. I'm just not ready to redo all my settings on my phone when I update to a new rom.

Yeah, I am frustrated with the Samsung heading into Android as well.
They marketed Galaxy S as a such a great phone (which it is) with the ability to upgrade it to the latest (at the time of the launch) OS within months, yet they have released new hardware - Galaxy Tab - with 2.2, and keep the Galaxy S phone users out dry - thanks to these boards I do not have to rely on them, but I did void the warranty by rooting my device and installing the custom ROM. And now they are already marketing Gingerbread platform that will ultimately become second Google dev phone, and again let everyone dry on a Galaxy S phone market.
I do want to get the real Google phone, and knowing that I don't have to rely on the carriers to release the update for me, but seeing how it will be a Samsung device makes me uneasy.
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it.
-- Linus Torvalds

Krzysiek_CK
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
I do want to get the real Google phone, and knowing that I don't have to rely on the carriers to release the update for me, but seeing how it will be a Samsung device makes me uneasy.
Nexus S could be a good thing. Very good hardware, Samsung, combined with the best OS development, Google.

iynfynity
Old
Thanks Meter 195
Can't google release the firmwares to our phone?

"Did you know every time you make a troll comment an android phone is activated?"