5,596,354 Members 38,936 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My new Vibrant's GPS works better than my old one

Tip us?

heygrl
Old
(Last edited by heygrl; 20th November 2010 at 11:38 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Default My new Vibrant's GPS works better than my old one

It's no joke. Ignore the accuracy rating because it's just an estimate. Look at the SNR's between the two. It works much better in buildings, with Google Navigation, has no problem getting a lock, reported accuracy when driving is often 5-7 meters vs 10 then 40 then searching for GPS with the old phone. Never loses it's GPS lock, EVER and I've been testing it for a few days now. No big circles (stable lock)..

just fyi, when someone says their GPS works fine - they might be telling the truth
-Samsung Galaxy S III Ceramic/Marble White on T-Mobile
-Samsung Exhibit 4G
-Samsung Vibrant
-Samsung Captivate on T-Mobile

kdf2883
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Just curious, why did you get your phone replaced?

heygrl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf2883 View Post
Just curious, why did you get your phone replaced?
The headset jack
-Samsung Exhibit 4G
-Samsung Vibrant

lqaddict
Old
(Last edited by lqaddict; 20th November 2010 at 03:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by heygrl View Post
The headset jack
The replacement you got is JI6, correct?
Also if you leave it stationary, does the SNR jumps up and down or stays relatively stable?
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it.
-- Linus Torvalds

samnada
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
It's no joke. Ignore the accuracy rating because it's just an estimate. Look at the SNR's between the two. It works much better in buildings, with Google Navigation, has no problem getting a lock, reported accuracy when driving is often 5-7 meters vs 10 then 40 then searching for GPS with the old phone. Never loses it's GPS lock, EVER and I've been testing it for a few days now. No big circles (stable lock)..
just fyi, when someone says their GPS works fine - they might be telling the truth
I see you're using 3G on the new one, and wifi on the old one. I get faster locks with wifi off. Can you try them both setup exactly the same? Not saying this accounts for the difference, but I like to see exact comparisons on things like this.

Thanks.

heygrl
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
It's the same with or without WiFi on. It was tethered to the other phone. aGPS data was already downloaded. I've tested it both ways and there is no difference, the new phone reports higher SNR's
-Samsung Exhibit 4G
-Samsung Vibrant

samnada
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Quote:
It's the same with or without WiFi on. It was tethered to the other phone. aGPS data was already downloaded. I've tested it both ways and there is no difference, the new phone reports higher SNR's
Cool. Thanks.

heygrl
Old
(Last edited by heygrl; 20th November 2010 at 06:29 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
The replacement you got is JI6, correct?
Also if you leave it stationary, does the SNR jumps up and down or stays relatively stable?
It's much more stable (obviously because of the increased SNR) but I don't know what the reasonable range is. Like I said below, it's cloudy so they should be unstable

Furthermore: off of WiFi for both like requested

It's cloudy today. The new Vibrant's GPS performed admirably when going under clouds while driving but accuracy did decrease. The old Vibrant is probably so bipolar because they are passing clouds. Maybe 2 minutes before I took that pic it had a better lock and as you can see, 4 minutes inbetween shots and the SNR has lowered and shifted on the new Vibrant but the older one completely lost it's (inaccurate) GPS lock.
-Samsung Exhibit 4G
-Samsung Vibrant

lqaddict
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
It's much more stable (obviously because of the increased SNR) but I don't know what the reasonable range is. Like I said below, it's cloudy so they should be unstable

Furthermore: off of WiFi for both like requested

It's cloudy today. The new Vibrant's GPS performed admirably when going under clouds while driving but accuracy did decrease. The old Vibrant is probably so bipolar because they are passing clouds. Maybe 2 minutes before I took that pic it had a better lock and as you can see, 4 minutes inbetween shots and the SNR has lowered and shifted on the new Vibrant but the older one completely lost it's (inaccurate) GPS lock.
You should be pretty much on the dot if your SNR is between 30 and 45, the higher the better obviously.
The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it.
-- Linus Torvalds

ZX3ZX4
Old
Thanks Meter 2
heygrl-
Just so I'm clear...are both of those phones set up identically, i.e., stock 2.1 JI6, etc.? No other differences in settings?