5,593,401 Members 36,281 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[App] ButtonRemapper - Beta v0.2.4 (New Galaxy S version added)

Tip us?

appelflap
Old
(Last edited by appelflap; 20th February 2011 at 09:27 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 785
Smile [App] ButtonRemapper - Beta v0.2.4 (New Galaxy S version added)

Important questions will be marked with the tag FAQ when they are answered in this thread. Search for FAQ with the "search this thread" button to fetch them.

-------- Update notes --------

Update (Jan 22): New, separate version for the Samsung Galaxy S (This version is not compatible with the Galaxy S variants like the Captivate and Vibrant. A version compatible with these devices will be posted soon)

A special version for the Galaxy Tab can be found here .

------ Initial Announcement --------

* Beta* for full rooted devices. (NAND unlocked. Full, permanent write access to the system dir is needed)

Tool to remap the hardware buttons. Or better: a generic tool to edit the key layout map file Android uses to map the keys. (For info about key layout files, see:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695936 and
http://source.android.com/porting/ke...ard_input.html)

Supported devices: All, except Samsung Galaxy S variants (only partial support. Update: new, separate version for SGS attached to this post), Droid 2 and Huawei U8110/Android 2.1. On the Vibrate and Captivate only a few buttons can be remapped.
(If you have issues with your device, please let me know)

Functions that can be assigned:
Code:
            "Power",
            "Home",
            "Menu",
            "Back",
            "Search",
            "Volume up",
            "Volume down",
            "Camera",
            "Focus",
            "Endcall",
            "Call",
            "Media Play Pause",
            "Media Stop",
            "Media Next",
            "Media Previous",
            "Media Rewind",
            "Media Fast Forward",
            "Dpad center",
            "Dpad up",
            "Dpad down",
            "Dpad left",
            "Dpad right"
As it with all root apps a Nandroid backup is adviced, because you never know.

Tips
In generall, these are the codes of the keys on a standard Android device (for people who can also edit the keyboard codes of a hardware keyboard):
Code:
		102, // home button
		114, // Volume down
		115, // Volume up
		116, // Power
		139, // Menu
		158, // Back
		217, // Search`
		231, // CALL              
		232, // DPAD_CENTER      
		108, // DPAD_DOWN        
		103, // DPAD_UP           
		105, // DPAD_LEFT         
		106, // DPAD_RIGHT  
		211, // HEADSETHOOK
		212, // CAMERA
		242  // FOCUS

Attached is a little helper app (KeynrTracker.apk) to identify the keynumber you want to remap .

Faq

Q: can you do also other remappings with the buttons, like for example long pressing, double press, context sensitive remappings etc.
A: For now, this is pretty much it. Check out LaunchKey if you also want to remap the long-press search button.

Q: So this is it?
A: I do plan to add some more functionality and to update the interface, but when that will be I can't tell.

Reviews

Review by Android Police

Review by Gizmoninja

Changelog
v0.2.4: Fixed restore problem on some devices (Thanks ljjehl for noticing)

v0.2.3: Hasn't never been released

v0.2.2: * Added support for the Droid X (Thanks Doug for your feedback!) * added an option to hot reboot the device after applying a change, so one can almost change buttons on the fly.

v0.2 Fixed UI issues * Fix for Galaxy S Variants * added (camera) focus as an option to the "remap list"

--
If you like the app and/or wish to support this project consider buying the donation version from the market (Search term: ButtonRemapper). Don't feel obliged though!
Attached Files
File Type: apk KeynrTracker.apk - [Click for QR Code] (8.3 KB, 35391 views)
File Type: apk ButtonRemapper v0_2.4.1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (51.6 KB, 113530 views)
File Type: apk ButtonRemapper Galaxy S.apk - [Click for QR Code] (72.8 KB, 20870 views)
The Following 120 Users Say Thank You to appelflap For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

overground
Old
Moderator & Developer Committee / Recognized Developer - xxxda-developers Founder
Thanks Meter 1051
Location: Oxnard, CA Likes: Los Angeles Lakers Dislikes: Heavy petting zoos
So on a nexus 1, this will only remap the power, volume rockers and possibly trackball? Will it work for the capacitive buttons?

T-mobile SDA, T-mobile G1 (bronze) Rooted, Nexus One Rooted 4.0.4, T-mobile G2x Rooted, Viewsonic G-tab 10.1", HTC OneX (SOLD), Kindle Fire Rooted, T-mobile SGS3 rooted, Note 10.1 rooted / GDE=360s of fun!! / pinkventure.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumfuq View Post
That is correct. Or you cold use the escape sequence instead of quotes.
Code:
sh /system/sd/bart.sh Double\ post -d -u -m -f -u -q knockeduphooker9.1.1Full10-26-09
Buy me some meds
The Following User Says Thank You to overground For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

appelflap
Old
Thanks Meter 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by overground View Post
So on a nexus 1, this will only remap the power, volume rockers and possibly trackball? Will it work for the capacitive buttons?
Absolutely. It will remap all buttons. I added a list of functions that can be remapped. (Also hardware keyboards can be remapped with this app... )

I plan to integrate this with the LaunchKey app in the future, so it would be possible to assign also apps etc to buttons.

overground
Old
(Last edited by overground; 24th November 2010 at 06:44 PM.)
Moderator & Developer Committee / Recognized Developer - xxxda-developers Founder
Thanks Meter 1051
I'll be giving it a shot shortly, then. Thanks, AF!
EDIT: donated

T-mobile SDA, T-mobile G1 (bronze) Rooted, Nexus One Rooted 4.0.4, T-mobile G2x Rooted, Viewsonic G-tab 10.1", HTC OneX (SOLD), Kindle Fire Rooted, T-mobile SGS3 rooted, Note 10.1 rooted / GDE=360s of fun!! / pinkventure.com
Quote:
Code:
sh /system/sd/bart.sh Double\ post -d -u -m -f -u -q knockeduphooker9.1.1Full10-26-09
Buy me some meds

appelflap
Old
Thanks Meter 785
Quote:
I'll be giving it a shot shortly, then. Thanks, AF!
EDIT: donated
Thanks.
As always your critical feedback is very much appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to appelflap For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

overground
Old
(Last edited by overground; 24th November 2010 at 08:15 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1051
What's "Grave" ? And there's 2 search entries and 3 menu entries. A little confusing. Are these for long press, double tap, etc. or are those for possible layouts across devices? How does one get to the "Apply" screen pictured? Will play around some more.

Quote:
Code:
Buy me some meds

appelflap
Old
(Last edited by appelflap; 25th November 2010 at 02:46 AM.)
Thanks Meter 785
Quote:
What's "Grave" ? And there's 2 search entries and 3 menu entries. A little confusing. Are these for long press, double tap, etc. or are those for possible layouts across devices? How does one get to the "Apply" screen pictured? Will play around some more.
Well, I don't know
At the moment this app is just a tool to play around with the low level key layout mapping files Android uses for mapping the keys. It's sort of a power user tool.

In the future I'll need this layer to make a user friendly key remap tool that can do some low level remapping. Then I will hide much of the definitions that can be tweaked with this app.

Some background info about the key layout mapping files:

http://source.android.com/porting/ke...ard_input.html

Pat123
Old
Thanks Meter 89

DONATE TO ME
Looks good..Will give it a shot soon..

ldc2335
Old
Thanks Meter 289
SWEET, im wondering if it will eventually be possible to use search button on evo to actually take pics(not just open the camera)

hav0c
Old
(Last edited by hav0c; 25th November 2010 at 07:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 93
Just what I needed. Thanks a lot appelflap.

Would be nice to have the "call" and "end call" function on 1 button (because the only button I do not use on my DHD is the search button..) Don't know if that is possible tho..

Thanks again!

Edit: I'll donate on the final version for sure.
--

SONY XPERIA TABLET Z WIFI + LTE 16 GB BLACK @ CM 11
NEXUS 5 @ CM 11
Samsung Galaxy Note III SM-N9005 @ X-NOTE
Samsung Galaxy SIV GT-I9505 @ CM 11
Nexus 7 3G @ CM 11