FORUMS

HTC Delivering Ads Straight to Sense Home

HTC’s 2015 has been a year marked by a desperate search for revenue.The HTC One M9 … more

Galaxy S6 & Edge get €100 Price Cut—New Models Incoming

Samsung has dropped the price of both the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge by … more

How To Port Fully Featured Sony Xperia Z4 Camera

Xperia Z4’s hardware may not impress, but its software is definitely … more

Experimental TWRP Available For Moto G 2015

XDA Senior Member squid2 has posted experimental builds of TWRP for the Moto G … more

Beta testers wanted: NES, tool to manage data partition

497 posts
Thanks Meter: 628
 
By cyansmoker, Recognized Developer on 27th November 2010, 09:01 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Update 03/08/11

NotEnoughSpace has finally graduated to the Android Marketplace!
Beta testers can currently get it at its "thank you" price of $0.99.
I will set the regular price in a week so hurry


*** *** *** ***

Note #1: your phone needs to be ROOTED to use this application.
Note #2: so far, only tested on Droid Incredible and HTC Desire.

From the built-in help:

About this application

This application's goal is to help you understand and possibly work around a common vexation of using Android; i.e. these messages:

"not enough space"
"Low on space. Application data space is low."

What is happening?

You've checked your phone's vitals and it appears that it has plenty of space left, both internal storage and SD Card storage. So, what's happening?
Android allows your applications to store their data, primarily, in a dedicated partition whose size happens to be much smaller than even the phone's internal storage space. Generally south of 150 MBs.
This is the partition that fills up so quickly and that Android has been complaining about.

And the help goes on and on so I'll stop here.

The short version

Using this application, you can see which applications use up most of your phone's data space and decide what to do with them.
You can also move the biggest directories to the phone's SD Card.

Additionally, you can use the app to cleanup the Dalvik cache but it's not the app's primary function.

Please, help test it!

I will gladly welcome any constructive criticism; I expect most of it to be along the lines of "The tool is not quite accurate" and that's what I wish to address first.

To create a debug report (these are very important):
Simply select the "Debug" menu and follow the on-screen instructions.
The whole email business is so that you can copy/paste from a desktop client.

The .apk can be downloaded from nexus.zteo.com/projects/beta/

Update 12/04/10

The application should now display correct stats for phones/ROMs that use Busybox. If you have already tested it and it said "NaN" please try it again.
Last edited by overground; 9th March 2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: no market links to paid apps
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cyansmoker For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
27th November 2010, 02:37 PM |#2  
teorouge's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Trento
Thanks Meter: 216
 
More
This should be interesting, maybe kinda Android GpartED?
27th November 2010, 02:54 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,160
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyansmoker

Using this application, you can see which applications use up most of your phone's data space and decide what to do with them.
You can also move the biggest directories to the phone's SD Card.

Curious, does this mean you can move and symlink data, or are you talking about Froyo Apps2SD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teorouge

This should be interesting, maybe kinda Android GpartED?

Obviously not, he's managing what's there, he's not partitioning anything.. Did you read?
27th November 2010, 03:06 PM |#4  
teorouge's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Trento
Thanks Meter: 216
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus

Obviously not, he's managing what's there, he's not partitioning anything.. Did you read?

Come on, what's the matter dude? I did read, and from what I read I thought whole partition handling was the only thing this app would be missing. Single files is a good start, but making that "kinda GpartED" would be killer. Though I fear you should be in bootloader/recovery to work on those, don't know how Android deals with them (i.e. in Windows you have programs you can change partitions size "on the fly" with). Now that I elaborated more, are you still angry?
27th November 2010, 04:15 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
This application would be genius. I'm wondering however, will the phone still be able to access that data once it is moved off of the system memory and onto the SD Card? And is it possible to actually partition the /data/data section so that it will use more than the allowed 150mb that it has, like open it up so that instead of it being partitioned to a small amount, it just roams free with the rest of the 748mb or whatever that is in the system memory.
27th November 2010, 04:40 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 74
 
More
A promising app, thanks.

Navigon, however, doesn't like its data to be moved to SD card. Even after moving it back with the app, it FCs (Android 2.1). I think I have to reinstall. So be careful if you're trying to do the same.

Edit: After reinstalling the .apk (without doing anything with the maps), Navigon works again. The packet installer didn't ask me if I wanted to replace the existing installation (as is otherwise usual in such a case).

Edit2: There seems to be a general problem. The next app I tried was mediaU. It has a large database which I moved (using NES) to the SD card. It also FCed after having moved its database, and restoring to the old location (again using NES) also didn't succeed. No error message during restore, but app still won't run.

Phone: Galaxy 3, Android 2.1 (original ROM).
Last edited by mizch; 27th November 2010 at 04:59 PM.
27th November 2010, 05:37 PM |#7  
teorouge's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Trento
Thanks Meter: 216
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizch

A promising app, thanks.

Navigon, however, doesn't like its data to be moved to SD card. Even after moving it back with the app, it FCs (Android 2.1). I think I have to reinstall. So be careful if you're trying to do the same.

Edit: After reinstalling the .apk (without doing anything with the maps), Navigon works again. The packet installer didn't ask me if I wanted to replace the existing installation (as is otherwise usual in such a case).

Edit2: There seems to be a general problem. The next app I tried was mediaU. It has a large database which I moved (using NES) to the SD card. It also FCed after having moved its database, and restoring to the old location (again using NES) also didn't succeed. No error message during restore, but app still won't run.

Phone: Galaxy 3, Android 2.1 (original ROM).

Tonight I'm gonna try for sure and report back, this does look promising! Did you succeed with some apps?
27th November 2010, 08:17 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 74
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by teorouge

Did you succeed with some apps?

K9 seemed to work. However, I had to reflash for another reason, and now K9 reports its lib as being in the standard location (reported by NES). For now, I have stopped testing NotEnoughSpace so I can not say more.
28th November 2010, 01:28 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,160
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizch

K9 seemed to work. However, I had to reflash for another reason, and now K9 reports its lib as being in the standard location (reported by NES). For now, I have stopped testing NotEnoughSpace so I can not say more.

eh? K9 has native use of the SD card if you enable it... Why would you use this on it?
28th November 2010, 10:20 AM |#10  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 628
 
Donate to Me
More
Thanks for doing this testing, guys.
I will install these apps and test them myself.


teorouge: you moved the database/ directory, is that it?

mizch: so, you re-installed K9 after reflashing, right?

Everybody: what about the "free space" numbers reported by the app? Do they seem correct to you? I had to use a dedicated algo to compute them, taking block size in account, and I've had reports of fairly surprising discrepancies.
28th November 2010, 04:32 PM |#11  
teorouge's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Trento
Thanks Meter: 216
 
More
Free space doesn't seem to update after moving, though I see the difference in the Titanium Backup count: tried for a couple of apps (G Earth and well... don't remember!) and it did move everything, free up space on /data and I can still use those apps. Still afraid to move many apps, just moving one at the time and test.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes