Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,794 Members 44,697 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How do i unlock the Defy to all Networks

Tip us?

arixal
Old
Thanks Meter 1
got the same problemo here.. my uncle bought a motorola defy from the oprah show, then call t-mobile for unlock code..

t-mobile always sent the same code (just 8 digits) & it doesn't work.. they said that he has to call directly to motorola because he doesn't get the phone directly from tmobile (what the heck?? it's a tmobile phone for crying out loud..!!)

now he is trying swiftunlock from ebay.. haven't got the code yet..

hope it will work..

QSMR
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default same thing here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru1dev View Post
I got a TMobile (US) DEFY as a gift (I believe it is an Oprah show giveaway) and have been having a very hard time trying to unlock the phone. even the code that TMobile provided was wrong.

Attempts:
1 - TMobile - they said they did not have it in their database and contacted motorola. The code they sent was 8 digits and did not work.

2 - Unlockitnow-com - Paid $20 - Sent me 3 codes and all three did not work (I did a motorola database "not found" lookup) -> I made a youtube video of the code not working to get a refund and they said they are mailing me a sim unlock kit.

3 - Private Unlocker in Toronto - Paid $35 - Sent me 1 code and it was the same as one of the codes from unlockitnow-com so I did not try it as I knew it failed previously -> he then contacted motorola who advised him that the phone may possibly have a network lock and not a simlock so it would require 2 codes?? both 16-digit subsidy codes as the phones sent to Oprah were never sent to TMobile to remove the subsidy codes and insert TMobile 8digit calculated codes.

Debating trying to apply for a subsidy code from GSM liberty -> gsmliberty-net/shop/16-digit-motorola-subsidy-code-p-3213.html

Anyone else with a DEFY from the Oprah Show manage to unlock it? please help! PM or reply!! thanks in advance
I have the same problem with this oprah defy phone. I bought it for my husband for christmas (Im a Tilt2 .. and sticking with it..LOL)

You got much further than I did with T-Mobile, after being "disconnected" twice, I called back a third time only to have possibly the rudest tmobile rep on the planet tell me that there is no way they can know whether or not I stole the phone! and so it is impossible for them to give me a code. She then said that because it was a prepaid oprah phone that it could not be unlocked.

I gave up on T-Mobile and bought a code from unlock to talk and they sent me 2, both of which didnt work...(currently shooting my refund video as we speak...LOL...but they didnt sound too eager to give me my money back either way).

If anyone finds a reputable place that can unlock this expensive paper weight, please please post!....

help!!!
QSMR

Beach_Head
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Interested in this as well since the code that T-Mobile provided didn't work...

scrannel
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach_Head View Post
Interested in this as well since the code that T-Mobile provided didn't work...
Well, this dude claims he is (or was) selling an unlocked Oprah Defy, maybe he can tell you how he did it. Or, maybe he really didn't?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ250984506

QSMR
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default gsmliberty

I decided to bite the bullet and risk losing more money on yet another unlock code....

Im trying gsmliberty too, since they have the 16 digit subsidy codes that this phone seems to need...

I have a ticket open with them at the moment 'cause they dont actually list the defy as a supported model, I already paid so we'll see...I really hope they can help me (its for my husband who is a US Marine)...I think it will also be the ultimate test for the ruggedness of this phone...LOL

I'll let you know what happens with gsmliberty...

QSMR

QSMR
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Well, this dude claims he is (or was) selling an unlocked Oprah Defy, maybe he can tell you how he did it. Or, maybe he really didn't?

I also emailed this guy ..LOL....we'll see if he answers....

ru1dev
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Gsm liberty 16 digit worked!

QSMR
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default gsm liberty

really, thats great....can you tell me how exactly you ordered on that site? I put in my order, on thego the email to choose my phone model and wasnt listed. So I asked them what to put in the dropdown list and they keep putting trouble tickets in and then resending the same dropdown request.

Im so frustrated, but I feel better now that you said you got a working code from them...how did you order?

thanks!!!

QSMR
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default supposed to be....

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSMR View Post
really, thats great....can you tell me how exactly you ordered on that site? I put in my order, on thego the email to choose my phone model and wasnt listed. So I asked them what to put in the dropdown list and they keep putting trouble tickets in and then resending the same dropdown request.

Im so frustrated, but I feel better now that you said you got a working code from them...how did you order?

thanks!!!
that was supposed to say... then got the email ...lol... spaz typing...lol

I know thay have a couple different pages, for carrier and for model etc. I was afraid to choose "all T-Mobile" because that hasnt worked for me with anyone else....

Beach_Head
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Any updates on this?