Request to develop basic app: Sobriety/Clean-time counter

Search This thread

oliphillips

Mar 2, 2009
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I wondered if there were any developers out there up for creating an app for android. What I am on about is a "Sobriety Counter" type app. The iphone has one it's called "Friends of Bill"

It is basically just a counter, you would type in a date and time and it continues counting from that date.

Would be great to get on on my android phone! and I'm sure loads of other people would be interested in this, as I see a lot of people in na/aa meetings who have the iphone one.

Cheers!
Oli

Last edited:
Reactions: rhaas12321

cyansmoker

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
I was about to put one together, but then I did a search for Android apps and found this: hxxp://listandroidapps.com/2010/09/06/android-apps/lifestyle-android-apps/12-steps-aa-companion-android-app/

Doesn't it do what you need?

Reactions: oliphillips

oliphillips

Mar 2, 2009
Hi, thanks for the replies. That AA app looks great, but doesnt have a counter on it, and the Daysanddate too, ive installed it, very useful, but what I am talking about is like a constant running counter. This is a screenshot of the iphone one:

hxxp://a1.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/045/Purple/57/63/f6/mzl.fdnllajk.320x480-75.jpg

Any counter like this would be great, but would be cool if it could say like "This is your clean time: "

Thanks a lot guys!
Oli

oliphillips

Mar 2, 2009
Or does anyone know an app that already does just a basic counter. Set a date/time and it continues counting.

oliphillips

Mar 2, 2009
Thanks so much man!!

Really like the way you've added the sponsor part into it. That is such a great idea. I would definately use that option.

Need to be able to enter date and time from when first got sober, then the counter continuously counting from then. So when you open the app it will say the amount of sober years/months/weeks/days/hours/mins/secs from the original Date/Time entered. Anyway of making the counter visually carry on counting when it's open too?

The oops button you included would be good too! I wont ever have to use it though :D (fingers crossed!)

Amazing for first attempt man. This really could become something great! I know it will be popular in the recovery community, I know a lot of friends who will use this.

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
I uploaded a new version.
It looks a bit better and the "Call sponsor" feature should work.

Still not happy with the overall look, especially the layout of the buttons. There is no sense of which ones are more important.

Also: the counter, albeit counting ok, actually can display weird stuff. Hrm.

oliphillips

Mar 2, 2009
Cool! Will install it when I get home.

The most important thing is to able to manually enter a time and date, then the counter will continuously count from that time and date. E.g for me I will want to enter 10am 07/07/10, and when the app is open it will display the elapsed time since then.

Is it possible to make the counter carry on counting when the app is open too?

Thanks a lot for this!

oliphillips

Mar 2, 2009
Love it!!!!

Looks awesome man! Really really grateful for this!! This is exactly like I was describing! Really this is great though man! Impressed. Now I have the icon on my homescreen it is the quickest way to actually call my sponsor 2 clicks, instead of going to contacts, etc!

Couple of things, I really like the "Token" option, is it possible to select image from gallery as well as take picture?

Also could you put it as "You have been clean and sober for:"

Would it be OK to send the link to this thread to some of my friends online who would be interested in this and could help test it out?

Last edited:

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
I will add the picture gallery at some point, for sure.
And I will change the text too.

Sure, tell your friends about it; it's free and I will soon upload it to the android market.

Captainkrtek

Retired Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 16, 2010
Seattle
I can put it on the market for ya if you want so it can receive updates and such. Also would benefit other users. PM me if you want! :)

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
Captainkrtek, thanks for your offer. I already have a market account though so it took me only a few moments to upload it (90% of that spent lamenting Google's new requirement for a 512x512 "icon"!)

For anyone interested, the latest version is now available on the market. Look for "Sobriety counter."

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com

So, here is the QR code for the app:

chart

cyansmoker

Sep 18, 2010
Los Angeles
nexus.zteo.com
Widgets

Coming very soon (need to run regression testing and that's it): Widgets.
As discreet -- or not -- as you want them to be. I'm thinking three different widgets:

Attachments

• oneday.jpg
    oneday.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 91

oliphillips

Mar 2, 2009
Hi, I have found a slight bug, thought I would report it. If you open the App and then exit it just using the back button, then when you open the app again the time hasn't continued counting. It has paused during the time when the app was closed (running in the background). The only way to sort it out at the moment is to use Taskiller, then when you open it again it is working normally. So if you could possibly fix it so that it carries on counting when the app is closed and running in the background.

Widgets sound great, again a great development!

I have shown a few people this app now and spreading the word, a lot of people want it on their phones. My friend has actually decided to upgrade her phone to an android phone simply so she can have this app!! Cleantime is a very important thing to people in recovery, so this app is brilliant! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I wondered if there were any developers out there up for creating an app for android. What I am on about is a "Sobriety Counter" type app. The iphone has one it's called "Friends of Bill"

It is basically just a counter, you would type in a date and time and it continues counting from that date.

Would be great to get on on my android phone! and I'm sure loads of other people would be interested in this, as I see a lot of people in na/aa meetings who have the iphone one.

Cheers!
    Oli
    I might be able to make something after Im done with my next app
    I was about to put one together, but then I did a search for Android apps and found this: hxxp://listandroidapps.com/2010/09/06/android-apps/lifestyle-android-apps/12-steps-aa-companion-android-app/

Doesn't it do what you need?
    First attempt:
    It displays a counter and you can reset it.

The sponsor stuff does not work yet, and it's butt-ugly because it's a proof of concept.

Get it from this page (second link): http://nexus.zteo.com/projects/beta/
    Typically an application isn't visible in the market when it isn't compatible with your phone.
    I believe I've made this little one compatible with all phones, starting with 1.5. This is very weird.
    I'll make the APK available elsewhere if this doesn't resolve itself.

One has an X10 mini pro the other has an htc wildfire (rooted and on 2.2). Dont think it is to do with the phones, so yeah very weird! :)