Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,174 Members 36,245 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] integrated GPS on both Rogers and AT&T Focus

Tip us?

fastmhc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] integrated GPS on both Rogers and AT&T Focus

Does both Rogers and AT&T Samsung Focus have a built in GPS (don't need a data plan)? Ever site I've looked at for the specs gives conflicting information.

siralex241
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmhc View Post
Does both Rogers and AT&T Samsung Focus have a built in GPS (don't need a data plan)? Ever site I've looked at for the specs gives conflicting information.
As I understand, my focus at&t has built in GPS that can be used with and without a data plan. It just depends what GPS software you are using for instance any GPS software that uses realtime updates or online maps requires data to be used while GPS is enabled...some 3rd party software use stored on device offline maps that would not require a data plan. As for specific programs that use online and offline maps I don't know. I use a data plan so I don't have to worry about that stuff.

This is my understanding so if anyone has better insight be my guest
[Nokia Lumia 920 Yellow] [Stock rom] [WP8] [AT&T USA ]
OS Version: 8.0.10211.204
Firmware:1232.5962.1314.0001
Radio:1.0.202009MT.3

[Samsung Focus SGH-i917] [Version REV. 1.3] [WP7] [At&t USA ]

Sold to my friend
FuzE|6.5| Energyrom Sense 2.5 build 21681| At&t network USA
Radio: 1.14.25.35
Cabs and tweaks...anything JVH3 has(standard)
others(what i want)

http://www.culturedtees.com

wildbilll
Old
(Last edited by wildbilll; 28th November 2010 at 03:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 14
All WP7 phones have a GPS, just like they all have a camera, three front buttons, a gravity sensor, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor and a compass. There are free GPS apps that are on the Marketplace that will allow you to see the GPS does work.
In time, there will be standalone gps navigation apps for sale on the Marketplace, it just takes a little patience.

fastmhc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I just don't want assisted GPS (A-GPS). I want an integrated GPS chip. All phones dont' have a built in GPS (I think older iphones). I currently have a Samsung i8910 and it has an integrated GPS. I bought Garmin software to use the GPS maps and when I am overseas I just need to buy the maps for that region to access the maps. If you have A-GPS you have to buy a data plan from that country's carrier and using their network, you access the internet (google maps) to get your maps. I hope that is clear??

foxbat121
Old
Thanks Meter 198
You totally misunderstood what A-GPS is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

fastmhc
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Maybe I don't? this is a quote for the wiki page for GPS navigation for phones
" Some phones with GPS capability work by assisted GPS (A-GPS) only, and do not function when out of range of their carrier's cell towers. "

JMackey
Old
Thanks Meter 4
WP7's have A-GPS. They use both radio towers and satellites to obtain a fix on your location.
So yes, once a proper mapping application is released, you can travel to other countries without needing a data plan.

reaver_shadow
Old
Thanks Meter 0
From wiki, sums it up pretty well i would say:

""Standalone" or "Autonomous" GPS operation use radio signals from satellites alone. A-GPS additionally uses network resources to locate and utilize the satellites faster as well as better in poor signal conditions."

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS

foxbat121
Old
Thanks Meter 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmhc View Post
Maybe I don't? this is a quote for the wiki page for GPS navigation for phones
" Some phones with GPS capability work by assisted GPS (A-GPS) only, and do not function when out of range of their carrier's cell towers. "
Most of today's cell phone GPS chips can work either in standalone mode or Assited mode. A(ssited)-GPS helps to speed up your initial satellite lock by downloading satellite information from network. If you have no data connection, the chip will fall back to standalone mode. With A-GPS properly working, you can achive first lock within 10 seconds. Without it, you may have to wait for couple minutes for your first lock. After the initial lock these GPS chips work autonomously unless you use MS-Assited A-GPS mode. With the power of today's Smartphone, there is zero reason for using MS-Assisted mode unless you're using it in E911 situations.

It is ultimately the navigation software you choose determines whether or not you need cell data connection. Currently standalone navigation software on WP7 is quite limited or non-existent. If that is important to you, you may want to look for other Smartphones like iPhone or Android phones. Your old WM software won't work in WP7.