Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Disable Cell Standby (increase battery life)

OP raydog153

30th November 2010, 02:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

88 posts
More
I noticed that I had a lot of battery usage from 'Cell Standy' so I put together this update that removes the phone apks that have to deal with the phone system, which doesn't exist on this device. I have only tested this on CM6.1b4 rom. It only deletes 4 apks. Afterwards you won't see cell standby in the battery usage. Use at own risk, and backup system first.

On a side note, I followed this thread as well to reduce redraw lag for the home screen, seems much faster now: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bug...sonite801.html
Attached Files
File Type: zip RemoveCellStandby.zip - [Click for QR Code] (723 Bytes, 3845 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raydog153 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th November 2010, 03:03 AM   |  #2  
DFW, TX
Thanks Meter: 132

701 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by raydog153

I noticed that I had a lot of battery usage from 'Cell Standy' so I put together this update that removes the phone apks that have to deal with the phone system, which doesn't exist on this device. I have only tested this on CM6.1b4 rom. It only deletes 4 apks. Afterwards you won't see cell standby in the battery usage. Use at own risk, and backup system first.

On a side note, I followed this thread as well to reduce redraw lag for the home screen, seems much faster now: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bug...sonite801.html

Thanks for the shortcut... For those of us that 'may' already have removed some of the .apk's, could you list which ones you have removed in this?
30th November 2010, 03:06 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

66 posts
i dont have this usage. tnt doesnt come with that because vs knew they didn't add cellular resources anyways. but i could be wrong. but i have no usage with that title. however 12% is used by (blank) no name
30th November 2010, 03:09 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 278

811 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4x0rjdag

i dont have this usage. tnt doesnt come with that because vs knew they didn't add cellular resources anyways. but i could be wrong. but i have no usage with that title. however 12% is used by (blank) no name

Right. CM is made for phones only so far, and Zpad versions do have a radio. So, that is what this would be useful for.

Thanks for putting this together, I'll have to check it out.
30th November 2010, 03:20 AM   |  #5  
DFW, TX
Thanks Meter: 132

701 posts
Donate to Me
Rothnic.. Please let us know what you find out.... It would probably be just as easy to remove the apk's with root explorer, unless there's something else?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
30th November 2010, 03:23 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

88 posts
More
Yes it would be just as easy to remove with root explorer, I just wanted to experiment with creating an update for my own learning as well. The apk's are Phone, Mms, VioceDialer, and TelephonyProvider.
30th November 2010, 03:26 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1

66 posts
i'm curious, when i try to install google voice it won't let me becuase it tries to pull voicemail settings. if i were to slap that services on my TnT would it let me install ? lol
30th November 2010, 03:39 AM   |  #8  
OP Member

88 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4x0rjdag

i'm curious, when i try to install google voice it won't let me becuase it tries to pull voicemail settings. if i were to slap that services on my TnT would it let me install ? lol

I have google voice installed, but can't configure it, hangs on the voicemail even thou I tell it to skip voicemail. I don't have that apk installed either, not sure if I removed it manually. I believe other people have been able to get it configured, but not working still.
30th November 2010, 05:47 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 47

82 posts
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by raydog153

I have google voice installed, but can't configure it, hangs on the voicemail even thou I tell it to skip voicemail. I don't have that apk installed either, not sure if I removed it manually. I believe other people have been able to get it configured, but not working still.

I've used Titanium backup to backup GV from my EVO4G and then transferred the files to my CM6.1b4 gTablet and restored it there. Works perfectly...

Although... for some reason I cannot call out using GV
30th November 2010, 06:53 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 278

811 posts
Works on Zpad, (only Phone an Telephony present). I added a link here for the the patch on the zpad page.

The Following User Says Thank You to rothnic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread