Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,460 Members 40,279 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ChevronWP7 Unlocker & Cert download - *here* + video tutorial

Tip us?

ceesheim
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2071

DONATE TO ME
yup , I got the same to ,you can unlock it again and then it is working again

the hottest geek girl in the world SassiBoB, SassyBoB, Sassy BoB, sassibob

Iron Fist !!!

XDA-Developers is all about Developers

mathiaspe
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceesheim View Post
yup , I got the same to ,you can unlock it again and then it is working again
yeah, but how long...

Jaxbot
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 546

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathiaspe View Post
yeah, but how long...
Unlocked my device around 2:40ish, and it's already relocked for the second time. Not looking good, folks.
That guy from Windows Phone Hacker, 2009-2013. Retired June 2013.
Personal Blog | Twitter | Youtube

hounsell
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Contrary to what people are saying, it doesn't look to be an MS thing. The certificate is not revoked. My guess is that the Phone checks with MS every so often to make sure that the account used to unlock it hasn't expired. Since you unlocked it in the first place by spoofing the server with your PC, it now calls home and gets told that the phone shouldn't be unlocked, and so it locks itself again. Unlocking simply resets the process.

That's my guess anyway. Rafael tweeted to say it wasn't an MS thing either, and that there'd be a blog post coming to explain it...

Contact me on Twitter or through WLM

Jaxbot
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 546

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by hounsell View Post
Contrary to what people are saying, it doesn't look to be an MS thing. The certificate is not revoked. My guess is that the Phone checks with MS every so often to make sure that the account used to unlock it hasn't expired. Since you unlocked it in the first place by spoofing the server with your PC, it now calls home and gets told that the phone shouldn't be unlocked, and so it locks itself again. Unlocking simply resets the process.
I agree. If Microsoft was really trying to destroy homebrew, they would've said something by now. And would've blocked ChevronWP7 entirely.
That guy from Windows Phone Hacker, 2009-2013. Retired June 2013.
Personal Blog | Twitter | Youtube

nok_fusion
Old
Thanks Meter 28
confirmation here => http://windowsphonehacker.com/micros...7-12-07-10.php

Darnell_Chat_TN
Old
Thanks Meter 334
Does not matter whether MS put it in place before the device was sold or initiated it after the sale. Bottom line is that MS via WP7 is not allowing customers to express the FCC (USA) affirmed ability to customize their own property.

hounsell
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd2leo_fusion View Post
How is that confirmation? It's just repeating the "news" that just quoted people earlier in this thread.

I suspect it's actually falling foul of a system to ensure that actual developers don't keep the device unlocked after their developer account expires, by calling back. There's no confirmation of that, admittedly, but there's not for MS remotely locking phones either, and mine makes more sense than MS suddenly pushing an OTA update to block something that's been around a good few weeks now, with no official or unofficial statement coming from anyone related to MS.

Contact me on Twitter or through WLM

gcmobile
Old
Thanks Meter 0
It runs fine here - no probs - no message - no lock

Regards
gc
1610>>3110>>5110>>6110>>6630>>6820>>N95>>HD>>[HD7]<<HD2>>SGS2>>SGS3&AcerA700
__________________ E310>>AximX50v>>AximX51v>>

Darnell_Chat_TN
Old
Thanks Meter 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd2leo_fusion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hounsell View Post
How is that confirmation? It's just repeating the "news" that just quoted people earlier in this thread.

I suspect it's actually falling foul of a system to ensure that actual developers don't keep the device unlocked after their developer account expires, by calling back. There's no confirmation of that, admittedly, but there's not for MS remotely locking phones either, and mine makes more sense than MS suddenly pushing an OTA update to block something that's been around a good few weeks now, with no official or unofficial statement coming from anyone related to MS.
The article that link cites as its source of their post has already updated their thread to mention it's likely not an OTA kill directed at the app.
Quote:
Update: Itís actually starting to look like this is a server side thing where the MS Servers check the validity of the certificate every once in a while and then automaticaly re-locks the phone if it is expired or not recognized as a valid certificate. The fact that you can re-unlock the phone afterwards means that the ChevronWP7 certificate has not been revoked yet by Microsoft.
My whole issue, is that even the FCC has affirmed anyone can customize their own phone, which is their personal private property. And MS has made it very hard for a consumer to do so. I'm just not a fan of these built in measures that twart a consumer from expressing a little freedom with phones they purchase.

Tags
chevron, unlock