Kaiser Kernel Thread - ONLY FOR KERNEL AND BUGS

Search This thread

l1q1d

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 19, 2008
Venice
www.tech-team.it
I start this new thread because i want highlight only kaiser changes
Before posting use search button and look in this thread.

This is the kernel thread so all problem like "how to install","i can't install", "miss module", ecc ecc are not allowed. If you need to ask this probably you didn't read correctly the guide in atools.
Atools is multyplatform and need python.

2.6.32 kernel changelog
nand fixed
irq problem is now fixed

TODO:
finish battery support
rewrite camera driver
speed up gps

Latest releases are here

Atools thread

Last edited:

aceoyame

Jul 14, 2009
Maybe now kernel development will be a little easier to keep track of. I had a random freeze in the kernel before with a message i've never seen before. Didn't think about exporting the logs. I will upload if I see it again.

It was with the 11-29 .32 kernel and only happened after I just switched to it, installed my barebones build and rebooted for the 1st time. I have never seen it since so it could have been an anomaly. Like I said, it was an error I have never seen before and will catch a log if I ever see it again.

Last edited:

Restorer

Dec 14, 2007
It would be helpful if someone could make a list of which types of problem are kernel related, which are build related and which could be either.

I am fairly new to android and not at all clear on what does what :).

daedric

Dec 24, 2006
Porto
I belive it's kind of dificult to explain properly whats a kernel bug, and whats a build bug. At least with a few lines of text anyway...

We probably will have to deal with _no_kernel_related_ questions, but we must stick to the topic. If it's not kernel related, point to another thread. Or perhaps instruct to open a new one.

Also, it would be nice to have this stickied again, and if those asking questions would be so nice to inform about device ; kernel version+builddate ; type of instalation (nand VS sd img file VS sd partion VS whatever) ; radio, it would probably make it easier to understand why is the user facing issues.
IMHO of course

ferr2

Jul 30, 2010
Ipv6 support in kernel

Hi Liquid,

Could you please include ipv6 support in kernel? It's needed by some apps, like google goggles, i compiled my own kernel with ipv6 and worked fine.
I hope there is enough kernel space to include ipv6 in the current kernel version:)

daedric

Dec 24, 2006
Porto
Question, not directly kernel related, but must start here.
If data using Yaffs is so unstable... why not another FS ?

clemsyn

Sep 19, 2006
I noticed that 2.6.25 kernel doesn't mount the partitions on relatime. Is there any chance we could do the same for 2.6.32 (which defaults to relatime). In 2.6.32, I tried to put it to atime but it doesn't work and just defaults to relatime. Could this possibly be the reason we have an unstable data partition in 2.6.32?

daedric

Dec 24, 2006
Porto
I noticed that 2.6.25 kernel doesn't mount the partitions on relatime. Is there any chance we could do the same for 2.6.32 (which defaults to relatime). In 2.6.32, I tried to put it to atime but it doesn't work and just defaults to relatime. Could this possibly be the reason we have an unstable data partition in 2.6.32?

Could you point me where are the partitions mounted ? normaly i would search /etc/fstab, but i fearin droid they're mounted elsewhere.

One thing i found in kerneltrap is nice...

"It's also perhaps the most stupid Unix design idea of all times. Unix is really nice and well done, but think about this a bit: 'For every file that is read from the disk, lets do a ... write to the disk! And, for every file that is already cached and which we read from the cache ... do a write to the disk!'"

This is explaining why relatime is better than atime. But if we could force a write to the disk on every access... :D

clemsyn

Sep 19, 2006
Could you point me where are the partitions mounted ? normaly i would search /etc/fstab, but i fearin droid they're mounted elsewhere.

One thing i found in kerneltrap is nice...

This is explaining why relatime is better than atime. But if we could force a write to the disk on every access... :D

its on /system/bin/userinit.sh

aceoyame

Jul 14, 2009
I think scooter synchronised it a little over a month ago? I know its been about that long.

clemsyn

Sep 19, 2006
You sure ? i only find a remount there ... to fix su

you can add this to userinit.sh

busybox mount -o remount,rw,nouid,nodiratime,nodev /data

I think it depends on the rom but my ROM have those options. I'll upload my userinit.sh

Here is a copy of my userinit.sh

BTW, I added noatime on 2.6.25 kernel (which is suppose to be stable) and I got a Reboot and data corruption. I think if we mount 2.6.32 like 2.6.25's default mount, it could be better but it has to be done in the kernel itself coz 2.6.32 defaults to relatime.

Attachments

• userinit.sh.zip
    756 bytes · Views: 12
Last edited:

n2rjt

I think scooter synchronised it a little over a month ago? I know its been about that long.

I synchronized my yaffs sources yesterday. It survived several battery-pulls yesterday with no corruption, but one single clean shutdown modified email settings for one account and made Maps FC. A dalvik clear cured maps but not the email settings.

Yaffs has data recovery capabilities, as proven by the battery pulls that gave no corruption at all.
So i think yaffs is good and nand is good. The data corruption problem lies outside the kernel and is a subject for a different thread.

Sent from my Android on HTC Kaiser/Kaiser/Polaris using XDA App

clemsyn

Sep 19, 2006
I synchronized my yaffs sources yesterday. It survived several battery-pulls yesterday with no corruption, but one single clean shutdown modified email settings for one account and made Maps FC. A dalvik clear cured maps but not the email settings.

Yaffs has data recovery capabilities, as proven by the battery pulls that gave no corruption at all.
So i think yaffs is good and nand is good. The data corruption problem lies outside the kernel and is a subject for a different thread.

Sent from my Android on HTC Kaiser/Kaiser/Polaris using XDA App

I read this quote about atime since you had problems with email on reboot

1. atime – This option causes Linux to record the last (or latest) time when a particular file was accessed. This information is particularly helpful for sysadmins or some programs (specially mail programs) to know when a particular file was last used/accessed.

So I think here is were atime option would help (email programs)

daedric

Dec 24, 2006
Porto
I read this quote about atime since you had problems with email on reboot

1. atime – This option causes Linux to record the last (or latest) time when a particular file was accessed. This information is particularly helpful for sysadmins or some programs (specially mail programs) to know when a particular file was last used/accessed.

So I think here is were atime option would help (email programs)

I think you're confused... the e-mail problem n2rjt was having was complete random. He had problems in e-mail and maps.. could be browser and settings. It's random.

Now:

2. noatime – This option stops recording the last file access time when the file is just read. The noatime option eliminates all the writes to the disk each time a file was just read which previously used to happen with atime. However a write is made to a disk in case if a file is being changed/written.

3. relatime – A filesystem mount with this option causes the access time to be updated if they are (before the update has occurred) earlier than the modification time. This significantly cuts down the writes caused by atime updates. However not many people use this option because they are simply not aware of it.

source: http://linux.koolsolutions.com/2009...sb-part-4-noatime-and-relatime-mount-options/

Indeed relatime is the most usefull option for us.

Yet... reading this for the 2nd time:

Could it be... a proc atempting to unmount /data or remount,ro that causes a defect ?

One other thing... you're sync'ing to yaffs.net, would it be too bad/dificult to use the yaffs2 provided with usual HTC sources ?
I'm looking at Supersonic... it uses our 2.6.32 kernel....

Last edited:

krava1209

Nov 24, 2010
Trying to setup 2.6.32 kernel over 2.6.25 on my tytnII with Warm Donut on board.
Using Atools. Doing everything step-by-step, but when i reach this steps:

33 then flash from sd (gray)
34 reset device when it finished

it's booting from sd, (gray), show "Loading.." and never complete :-(
have wait more than hour.

What's possible reason?
Using zImage-11-27-10 from l1qu1d sourceforge.net site.

Thanks in advance for help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is my latest nbh. Fixed the GPS and reboot issue with wifi (and hopefully any random reboots)

Hope you guys have the time to try it. LMK how it goes.
    BTW, use atools to edit it accordingly. This is panel 2 tilt keyboard

If issues still persists LMK and I'll Force chunk erase check and enable block refreshing for more stability (but this well decrease speed in writing)

BTW, this can be used with any BUILD. Just reinstall everything and would recommend fresh install of data.
    I'm back! Didn't realize our device was pushed back to legacy now :) Anyways, I got a G tab and was quite busy updating the kernel and playing with the device. I have to say, it's a pretty impressive tablet. I just built a kernel for my wet Kaiser that is still chugging along. Here are the changes I made.

1. Loosen up some Yaffs setting to improve speed
    2. Decreased kernel log buffer size to 32
    3. Enabled Block layer SG support to v4
    4. Enabled Block layer data integrity support
    5. Enabled CONFIG_UACCESS_WITH_MEMCPY
    6. Enabled Installation of FIQ hander

Please give me input on how it goes. Thanks.
    I start this new thread because i want highlight only kaiser changes
    Before posting use search button and look in this thread.

This is the kernel thread so all problem like "how to install","i can't install", "miss module", ecc ecc are not allowed. If you need to ask this probably you didn't read correctly the guide in atools.
    Atools is multyplatform and need python.

2.6.32 kernel changelog
    nand fixed
    irq problem is now fixed

TODO:
    finish battery support
    rewrite camera driver
    speed up gps

Latest releases are here

Atools thread
    Yah, not sure why but system is still mounted under RW permissions, no matter which build is used.

I know the partition is mounted on a RO section, but couldn't the kernel overwrite that permission and remount it as RW?

Our default userinit.sh calls for it to mount in ro so you might want to check your userinit.sh. My device mounts /system as ro.

BTW, Here is another experimental kernel to test. Here are the changes from the previous one

1. Disabled Cache short names in RAM
    2. Disabled yaffs2 block refreshing
    3. Disabled yaffs2 background processing
    4. Added Nand Device Support to Verify NAND page writes

Been trying to enable YAFFS to do ECC checks on tags by default but it crashes androidinstall. Anyways, I was informed by l1q1d that this is useless at the moment so I guess it's fine disabled.

This would require fresh installation of data. I dont think the data backup would work with this kernel.
    OK, releasing another experimental kernel..Here are the changes from the last kernel

1. Enabled yaffs ECC on tags (via init)
    2. battery fix by n2jrt
    3. Enabled block refreshing by yaffs (recommended by scooter)
    4. Enables background processing by yaffs
    5. Force chunk writes

and a few things I can't remember (must be the beer)

So far, I have enabled most of the options to protect the partition. Any recommendations will be appreciated. BTW, don't complain if it's slower than the last kernels :) Its because of all the options to make it stable. I Challenge you to make it fail :)