Kaiser Kernel Thread - ONLY FOR KERNEL AND BUGS

OP l1q1d

10th February 2011, 06:35 PM   |  #291  
Thanks Meter: 1,620

1,673 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1q1d

sure, send me also the changes of initrd.

OK, posted it with yaffs2 drivers.
10th February 2011, 06:45 PM   |  #292  
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 178

600 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsyn

How old is the yaffs driver, is it from an old .2x kernel?
10th February 2011, 07:29 PM   |  #293  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Venice
Thanks Meter: 94

1,133 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsyn

You didn't solved the mke2fs problem :)

busybox haven't the support for ext4 so we need to create mke2fs from the original sources.
10th February 2011, 07:49 PM   |  #294  
Thanks Meter: 21

240 posts
"Googling" for yaffs2 nand ecc, I found this:

Title:NAND + YAFFS2 - bad blocks
Link:http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail...ay/025462.html
(UC Browser)

I think that might be useful...

Sent from my CyanogenMod Kaiser/Kaiser using XDA App
10th February 2011, 08:04 PM   |  #295  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Venice
Thanks Meter: 94

1,133 posts
Donate to Me
More
probably the nand issue is solved.
Test the latest version from here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=949387
10th February 2011, 09:28 PM   |  #296  
Thanks Meter: 21

240 posts
Thanks!
But I have bad news...
Lost my contacts after reboot using soft reset button.

Sent from my CyanogenMod Kaiser/Kaiser using XDA App
15th March 2011, 09:00 PM   |  #297  
Thanks Meter: 0

27 posts
The main issues I have:
-sometimes can't wake from sleep
-is the backup/recovery even working? It never worked for me
-battery usage, of course.

Is the CPU frequency changed when going sleep? I think it should, maybe it should be compiled in kernel or something? Maybe a smart roguetools-like app to dynamically change the freq?
4th April 2011, 02:40 AM   |  #298  
Thanks Meter: 0

31 posts
is this working with ipv6?
5th May 2011, 12:08 AM   |  #299  
Thanks Meter: 1

7 posts
I think you guys may be on to something suspecting the data connection having something to do with the data corruption. I have been running Not So Super Froyo on a Kaiser for the past 4 months or so and noticed something. As with everyone else I have suffered with the corruption of the data partition on NAND every couple of days.

I switched to Clemsyn's 2.6.32.9 kernel from post 61 a couple months ago and it was better but still corrupted the data partition a little more often than I like although I learned to live with it by backing up important info regularly.

Anyway, recently I was able to get my phone to go a whole 12 days without corruption by turning off background data and disabling backup my data in privacy settings. I always disable the cellular data connection because the sim card I use does not have a data plan (company phone).

I'm thinking maybe Android is trying to do backups or send data in the background when there is no data connection and it is corrupting the data partition somehow.

It may be related to the problems we have with this kernel not wanting to wake up from standby at times and requiring a reset.

I did notice that with background data and automatic backups disabled the phone would recover from a lockup with little if any corruption. Over the 12 days it ran without corruption I would say I rebooted the phone on average twice a day due to lockups.

Before this a reboot would almost certainly mean loss of data if not total corruption of the data partition.

Anyone else notice that the Kaiser tends to lock up more on cloudy/rainy days or when you are in an area where cell coverage is poor, especially if you use GPS?

How about issues with bluetooth especially when disconnecting and re-connecting?

Does turning bluetooth on/off mess with your WiFi connection?

At any rate keep up the good work, you guys have done a great job breathing new life into the old Kaiser.
5th May 2011, 02:48 AM   |  #300  
Thanks Meter: 40

338 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiligkuh

I think you guys may be on to something suspecting the data connection having something to do with the data corruption. I have been running Not So Super Froyo on a Kaiser for the past 4 months or so and noticed something. As with everyone else I have suffered with the corruption of the data partition on NAND every couple of days.

I switched to Clemsyn's 2.6.32.9 kernel from post 61 a couple months ago and it was better but still corrupted the data partition a little more often than I like although I learned to live with it by backing up important info regularly.

Anyway, recently I was able to get my phone to go a whole 12 days without corruption by turning off background data and disabling backup my data in privacy settings. I always disable the cellular data connection because the sim card I use does not have a data plan (company phone).

I'm thinking maybe Android is trying to do backups or send data in the background when there is no data connection and it is corrupting the data partition somehow.

It may be related to the problems we have with this kernel not wanting to wake up from standby at times and requiring a reset.

I did notice that with background data and automatic backups disabled the phone would recover from a lockup with little if any corruption. Over the 12 days it ran without corruption I would say I rebooted the phone on average twice a day due to lockups.

Before this a reboot would almost certainly mean loss of data if not total corruption of the data partition.

Anyone else notice that the Kaiser tends to lock up more on cloudy/rainy days or when you are in an area where cell coverage is poor, especially if you use GPS?

How about issues with bluetooth especially when disconnecting and re-connecting?

Does turning bluetooth on/off mess with your WiFi connection?

At any rate keep up the good work, you guys have done a great job breathing new life into the old Kaiser.

Data corruption is because of a buggy NAND driver, not because of something in Android. We know of the issue, we just don't have spare phones to break to attempt fixing the NAND driver. Also we've been working on temporary work arounds to help with data corruption (ECC checking, filesystem ECC checking, etc), but so far they've yielded minimal help because the actual NAND driver is not reading/writing data properly, even though it thinks it is.

As far as everything else. I believe is just coincidence, as the kernels are still buggy, and there will be crashes, so the fact that it "crashes more on cloudy/rainy days" is just superstition.

Bluetooth, at least with my kernel is because the phone sleeps it shuts EVERYTHING down including Bluetooth when it's suppose to stay on. Like I said, most of the issues we are aware of, and we are fixing them, and the only one I believe won't be fixed anytime soon is the NAND driver as it's buggy, and anytime one of us attempts to fix, we corrupt our NAND chips to the point our phone's are not even usable.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread