Coby Kyros MID7015 Utimate Guide - Rooting, Android Market, ClockworkMod Recovery

Search This thread

apr24991

May 1, 2009
This guide is written for new users who have NO experience with the Android OS or this device. I do not take credit for the patches/fixes. I am just documenting the process to make it easier for new Kyros tablet users.

Intro Steps

1. Put your device in USB Debugging mode.
From the main menu, press Settings, Applications, make sure Unknown sources is checked.
Press Development,and make sure that USB Debugging is enabled.

2. Turn on your WIFI by going to Settings, Wireless & Networks, check WIFI,and then Wi-Fi settings.

Select your Wi-Fi access point.

3. Open AppsLib,press the search hour glass icon,and type File Manager and press Search. I like the File Manager by mmaapp. Install it. Close AppsLib

Rooting your Tablet

By rooting, what they mean is that you will have full control over all of the files and folders on your tablet. This is a good and a bad thing. It is good because we can add programs. It is also bad because you can delete files that you shouldn’t…meaning you could kill your tablet if you mess around.

From your PC, download z4Root and copy it to your micro SD card. Z4Root can be found here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953

2. Put the sd card in your Kyros, and open File Manager.

3. In File Manager, Press SD card, then press z4root.x.x.x.apk (x indicates the version number), and press install.

4. Press Open

5. Z4Root will open. Press Permanent Root. Once it is done rooting, it will reboot your Kyros.

Installing the Windows software and ADB drivers

1. Download and install The Java Development Kit 6here (you will need to register on their site first):

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHO...ProductRef=jdk-6u22-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer

2. Download and unzip the android-sdk-r07-windows.zip file to the C: drive on your computer.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

3. Go to the android-sdk-windows folder that you unzipped

4. Launch SDKManager.exe

5. Under choose which package to install, click accept all. As a part of what it is downloading, it will download the Android USB drivers. This part will probably take like 30 minutes or more to complete.

6. Once the download is done, close the SDK Manager.

7. You should now see a folder called usb_driver. Open that folder.

8. You will see a file called android_winusb.inf. Open that file in notepad.

--- Alternatively you can just download an android_winusb.inf file with all of the modifications already done here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/435451166/android_winusb.inf

--- You would then just copy over the original android_winusb.inf file in your \android-sdk-windows\usb_driver folder.
--- Once the file is over written, skip to step 12

9. Right underneath the section labeled [Google.NTx86] paste in the following:

%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_DEED
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_18D1&PID_DEED&MI_01
; Android Eclair
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C02&MI_01
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FFF

10. Right underneath the section labeled [Google.NTamd64] paste in the following:

---- Note --- Thanks goes to phygman for the code here to get the ADB driver working in XP!

11. Save the changes in the android_winusb.inf file

12. Plug in your Kyros device. Windows will still not find the driver for the device, but go into the Device manager, and select AndroidEclair, and update driver, browse my computer, let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

13. Click "Have Disk" and browse to the c:\android-sdk-windows\usb_driver folder. Double click on android_winusb.inf.

14. Select Android ADB Interface.

15. It will then come up with some messages about this is unsigned or something, are you sure you want to do this, click yes or continue.

Then it will install the driver and detect the kyros.

Installing ClockworkMod Recovery to back up your Kyros.

1. On your pc, download recovery.img and place it on the root folder of your sd card (\)

Recovery.img can be found here: sendspace.com vkv6yz

2. Put the sd card back into the tablet and then plug the usb cable into the tablet, and then your pc. Make sure your tablet is powered on.

3. Open the Command Prompt in windows (cmd.exe)

4. Go to the android-sdk-windows\tools folder. Since I placed the android-sdk-windows folder on the root of my c drive, I typed cd\android-sdk-windows\tools and pressed enter.

5. Type adb shell and press enter.

6. Type su and press enter.

7. Type flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img and press enter.

8. Press and hold the CTRL button, then press C.

9. Type adb reboot recovery and press enter.

10. Your Kyros tablet will reboot. Clockwork Mod Recovery will then load.
When Navigating through ClockworkMod Recovery, here are the keys:

Home is down
Menu is select
Back is back

11. Press the Home button until backup and restore is highlighted and press Menu.

12. Backup should already be selected. Press Menu.

13. It will now do a complete system backup. This is ESSENTIAL as it is VERY easy to play around and break your Kyros to the point that it is useless.

14. It will say “Backup complete” once the backup is done.

15. Reboot system now should be highlighted. Press Menu to reboot.

Installing Google Marketplace

1. Remove your sd card and put it back in your pc. Download the file gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip and place it on the root of your sd card (\).

The file can be downloaded here: mediafire.com mjmmfmm0jez

2. Connect the usb cable to the Kyros and the pc.

3. Put the sd card back into the tablet and then plug the usb cable into the tablet, and then your pc. Make sure your tablet is powered on.

4. Open the Command Prompt in windows (cmd.exe)

5. Go to the android-sdk-windows\tools folder. Since I placed the android-sdk-windows folder on the root of my c drive, I typed cd\android-sdk-windows\tools and pressed enter.

6. Type adb reboot recovery and press enter.

7. It will boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery menu.

8. Press Home until install zip from sd card is selected and press menu.

9. Press Home until choose zip from sd card is selected and press menu.

10. Press Home until gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip is selected and press Menu.

11. Press Home until Yes – Install gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip is selected and press Menu.

12. It will then install the Google Market.

13. Once the install is done, it will say Install from sd card complete.

14. Press the back button

15. Reboot system now should be highlighted. Press Menu.

16. It will reboot the Kyros. You will see a Wizard appear. Go through the Wizard

17. You now have the Android Marketplace installed on your Kyros.

I would also recommend installing the AppBrain app from the Google Market. It gives you the ability to install more apps then just the Google Market alone.

Enjoy!

Jason Andreas

Last edited:

Deenybird

Nov 29, 2010
Philadelphia
Wow! Thanks so much. Can't figure out how to give you a +rep...

Question: is it possible to do without an sd card? The stock model only comes with internal memory...

Last edited:

apr24991

May 1, 2009
The Kyros MID7015 should have (mine does) an port on the side for a MicroSD card. You MUST have an sd card to do these steps. I don't see any other way to acheive some of the steps (particularly with ClockworkMod recovery) without having the MicroSD card installed. My understanding is that it will support a max of a 16GB sd card. I have a 16gb installed and it works great

Plus with a card that big you can put movies on it and watch them with the tablet. The movie player on this is really phenominal!

moon303

Nov 29, 2010
Is it possible to get this done through Windoze XP or Linux? I have the files needed and rooted kyros and a terminal on the device...anyway to bypass a pc completely? I just don't have windoze 7.

apr24991

May 1, 2009
I came up with the ADB fix myself. I tried both Windows 7 and XP. Even though they are both 32 x86 operating systems, I just can't get XP to recognise the ADB driver. Without this driver, you can not run the ADB commands in Windows. I have heard that there are some programs that will let you type in the commands right on the Kyros, but I have not used them. You will need to find the file on your pc, and it will need to be in the .apk file format. Then copy to the sd card. Put the sd card in to the kyros and launch File Manager. You should be able to install the .apk file, then run the commands on the Kyros.

Again all of that is theory since I have not tried it.

As far as linux is concerned, I have NO idea. I'm pretty linux savy, but getting devices to recognize can be tricky to say the least.

This adb driver in reality would probably work in Vista as well. Surely you know someone who has Vista or Windows 7 that would let you run through the commands?

phygman

Dec 9, 2009
To make the Windows 7 or XP, x86 or x64 make these changes to your android_winusb.inf.

under the [Google.NTx86] section add :

under the [Google.NTamd64] section add :

I know these changes work on both windows XP and Windows 7

Phygman

HypnoticGuy

Jun 17, 2010
Tampa. FL
Could someone please post a Factory ROM backup from their Coby Kyros-4G please?

Before there were these backup instructions above I messed up my WiFi trying to get the tablet to see an ad-hoc network. I have tried everything I can think of to try to fix it, with no luck.

So, if someone could post a backup of the ROM out of the box I would really appreciate it. That should solve my problem.

Thanks.

ghbrown

Dec 3, 2010
Effect of Rooting 2.1 on Future 2.2 Upgrade

I am new to Android. The Kyros is my first device, which I got while waiting for the Archos 101. My question(s):
If I root 2.1, what effect will this have on a future 2.2 upgrade.
1. will I have to restore to a baseline 2.1 system before upgrading?
2. will the 2.2 upgrade remove any customizations and downloaded apps?

Deenybird

Nov 29, 2010
Philadelphia
just followed your tutorial and all went great!

Question: Now that I have finished this, what is required to update to the new firmware file recently posted on coby's website because I hear there are fixes to the touchscreen and wifi?

moon303

Nov 29, 2010
To make the Windows 7 or XP, x86 or x64 make these changes to your android_winusb.inf.

under the [Google.NTx86] section add :

under the [Google.NTamd64] section add :

I know these changes work on both windows XP and Windows 7

Phygman

Ha! I replied earlier and looks like it didn't post.
Phygman...many thanks it seemed to work. However, I have a problem, for a minute I thought I bricked by tablet. I got to the point where I ran the command to reboot into recovery; however, it did not do anything and I did not have any clockwork options. I copied the image from the zip file into the root of sdcard. What do I do with all the other files? Was I supposed to just copy the entire zip instead of just one file? Does the whole archive get unziped, not unzipped? Or just a single file on the SD card? Also, prior to me trying this I upgraded the firmware of the device. Coby just posted it yesterday, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it because everything else like rooting went well.

Deenybird

Nov 29, 2010
Philadelphia
Also, prior to me trying this I upgraded the firmware of the device. Coby just posted it yesterday, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it because everything else like rooting went well
I'm also wondering if updating prior to following these instructions will affect the outcome

moon303

Nov 29, 2010
It will not affect your outcome. In fact, if you try to do the update after these steps, you will have to redo each of them. Also, clockwork will not install the update without modification.

I agree with you but I can't figure out what went wrong with Clockwork.

Anyone added clockwork that can tell me what to do with the zip file? I tried extracting all contents of the zip on the root of sdcard and I still don't get anything. Can anyone give me a pointer or two?

moon303

Nov 29, 2010
I agree with you but I can't figure out what went wrong with Clockwork.

Anyone added clockwork that can tell me what to do with the zip file? I tried extracting all contents of the zip on the root of sdcard and I still don't get anything. Can anyone give me a pointer or two?

ok, I figured it out. I completely bypassed using a pc and did it all within the tablet using a terminal. Finally got to the recovery menu.

D

Deleted member 5132789

anyone know if there are any 2.2 modded roms for this device? google search yields nothing.

whoisthis)95

Dec 4, 2010
Market Place bloat

Does anyone know of a way to either modify the market place zip install or remove the bloat that comes with it ? I installed according to all the instructions and it worked great, but some of the apps don't work like voice search so I'd like to get rid of that, and also the amazon mp3 app and some other apps that came with it that are just bloatware for me.

Any help or hints appreciated greatly.

Halkeye93

May 17, 2008
flashed 3 now

I have done this with 3 Coby tablets now, I will be glad when there is a custom kernel to do some over clocking, since Coby thought it was a good idea to throttle back to 725mhz. I personally went ahead and did the Coby firmware update before I did any other flashing. This is a GREAT thread mega props! These are certainly not the best tablets in the world but for the price they aren't bad...

Last edited:

Steve0771

Jan 11, 2010
Thank you for the walk-thru! Made the process very easy.

Anyone have any luck getting Latitude (google maps) working on this? I can't find where to enter my google credentials so when I click "Join Latitude" all I get is logon failed.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is written for new users who have NO experience with the Android OS or this device. I do not take credit for the patches/fixes. I am just documenting the process to make it easier for new Kyros tablet users.

Intro Steps

1. Put your device in USB Debugging mode.
    From the main menu, press Settings, Applications, make sure Unknown sources is checked.
    Press Development,and make sure that USB Debugging is enabled.

2. Turn on your WIFI by going to Settings, Wireless & Networks, check WIFI,and then Wi-Fi settings.

Select your Wi-Fi access point.

3. Open AppsLib,press the search hour glass icon,and type File Manager and press Search. I like the File Manager by mmaapp. Install it. Close AppsLib

Rooting your Tablet

By rooting, what they mean is that you will have full control over all of the files and folders on your tablet. This is a good and a bad thing. It is good because we can add programs. It is also bad because you can delete files that you shouldn’t…meaning you could kill your tablet if you mess around.

From your PC, download z4Root and copy it to your micro SD card. Z4Root can be found here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=833953

2. Put the sd card in your Kyros, and open File Manager.

3. In File Manager, Press SD card, then press z4root.x.x.x.apk (x indicates the version number), and press install.

4. Press Open

5. Z4Root will open. Press Permanent Root. Once it is done rooting, it will reboot your Kyros.

Installing the Windows software and ADB drivers

1. Download and install The Java Development Kit 6here (you will need to register on their site first):

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHO...ProductRef=jdk-6u22-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer

2. Download and unzip the android-sdk-r07-windows.zip file to the C: drive on your computer.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

3. Go to the android-sdk-windows folder that you unzipped

4. Launch SDKManager.exe

5. Under choose which package to install, click accept all. As a part of what it is downloading, it will download the Android USB drivers. This part will probably take like 30 minutes or more to complete.

6. Once the download is done, close the SDK Manager.

7. You should now see a folder called usb_driver. Open that folder.

8. You will see a file called android_winusb.inf. Open that file in notepad.

--- Alternatively you can just download an android_winusb.inf file with all of the modifications already done here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/435451166/android_winusb.inf

--- You would then just copy over the original android_winusb.inf file in your \android-sdk-windows\usb_driver folder.
    --- Once the file is over written, skip to step 12

9. Right underneath the section labeled [Google.NTx86] paste in the following:

; Android Eclair
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C01
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C02&MI_01
    %SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FFF

10. Right underneath the section labeled [Google.NTamd64] paste in the following:

---- Note --- Thanks goes to phygman for the code here to get the ADB driver working in XP!

11. Save the changes in the android_winusb.inf file

12. Plug in your Kyros device. Windows will still not find the driver for the device, but go into the Device manager, and select AndroidEclair, and update driver, browse my computer, let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

13. Click "Have Disk" and browse to the c:\android-sdk-windows\usb_driver folder. Double click on android_winusb.inf.

14. Select Android ADB Interface.

15. It will then come up with some messages about this is unsigned or something, are you sure you want to do this, click yes or continue.

Then it will install the driver and detect the kyros.

Installing ClockworkMod Recovery to back up your Kyros.

1. On your pc, download recovery.img and place it on the root folder of your sd card (\)

Recovery.img can be found here: sendspace.com vkv6yz

2. Put the sd card back into the tablet and then plug the usb cable into the tablet, and then your pc. Make sure your tablet is powered on.

3. Open the Command Prompt in windows (cmd.exe)

4. Go to the android-sdk-windows\tools folder. Since I placed the android-sdk-windows folder on the root of my c drive, I typed cd\android-sdk-windows\tools and pressed enter.

5. Type adb shell and press enter.

6. Type su and press enter.

7. Type flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img and press enter.

8. Press and hold the CTRL button, then press C.

9. Type adb reboot recovery and press enter.

10. Your Kyros tablet will reboot. Clockwork Mod Recovery will then load.
    When Navigating through ClockworkMod Recovery, here are the keys:

Home is down
    Menu is select
    Back is back

11. Press the Home button until backup and restore is highlighted and press Menu.

12. Backup should already be selected. Press Menu.

13. It will now do a complete system backup. This is ESSENTIAL as it is VERY easy to play around and break your Kyros to the point that it is useless.

14. It will say “Backup complete” once the backup is done.

15. Reboot system now should be highlighted. Press Menu to reboot.

Installing Google Marketplace

1. Remove your sd card and put it back in your pc. Download the file gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip and place it on the root of your sd card (\).

The file can be downloaded here: mediafire.com mjmmfmm0jez

2. Connect the usb cable to the Kyros and the pc.

3. Put the sd card back into the tablet and then plug the usb cable into the tablet, and then your pc. Make sure your tablet is powered on.

4. Open the Command Prompt in windows (cmd.exe)

5. Go to the android-sdk-windows\tools folder. Since I placed the android-sdk-windows folder on the root of my c drive, I typed cd\android-sdk-windows\tools and pressed enter.

6. Type adb reboot recovery and press enter.

7. It will boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery menu.

8. Press Home until install zip from sd card is selected and press menu.

9. Press Home until choose zip from sd card is selected and press menu.

10. Press Home until gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip is selected and press Menu.

11. Press Home until Yes – Install gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip is selected and press Menu.

12. It will then install the Google Market.

13. Once the install is done, it will say Install from sd card complete.

14. Press the back button

15. Reboot system now should be highlighted. Press Menu.

16. It will reboot the Kyros. You will see a Wizard appear. Go through the Wizard

17. You now have the Android Marketplace installed on your Kyros.

I would also recommend installing the AppBrain app from the Google Market. It gives you the ability to install more apps then just the Google Market alone.

Enjoy!

Jason Andreas
    It looks like XDA stripped out some of my download links. I also posted this how to guide on another website. All of the links are in tact on their site.

http://tipstir.the-talk.net/rooted-...ackup-and-then-install-google-market-t689.htm
    Everything is ok doing the update first - that is actually better.

The update changes the way recovery works - look at the Edit on the first page to make clockwork stick, otherwise you need to flash recovery each time you want to use it.

If you are using the Terminal method, do the following from the shell and it will go to clockwork recovery instead of the stock recovery:

1. Open up the Terminal Application and type su and press enter.
    2. Type flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img and press enter.
    3. Type reboot recovery and press enter.

It will now boot to clockwork recovery. Check the edit on first page to make clockwork recovery stick.
    I don't see why we would need to update to Coby's firmware (rom) since we can install clockwork recovery (with all mods to have it working properly... well not perfect but it's working).

btw: I was trying to find the edit you were refering to in the first page and can't see it.

Thanks to lschroeder from another forum...

--

To make ClockworkMod stick do this fix from terminal emulator.

su
    (Accept Super User status if Dialog appears)
    mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    reboot recovery

From ClockworkMod Recovery (use the default option and press menu button)
    - reboot system now
    it seems the mid7005 does not like this version of clockwork recovery, if that is the version of the tablet you are using (like me).

another version of clockwork recovery is out there which will work on the 7005. BUT the home / menu keys are reversed in functionality.

teamtelechips.naobsd.org/clockworkmod/telechips_HSG-X5AG_cw2.5.1.0.zip

-Frank

Does anyone have instructions to follow for the Coby Kyros 7005, I tried the 7015 instructions but it hung up at Clockwork. Does anyone know if I use those instructions and use the clockwork above will it work. I am at the original version 127 I think, that can be upgraded as well correct.