Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

TRUE PermaRoot and the ULTIMATE S=Off!!! Check this out even if you're rooted!!!

OP grankin01

17th February 2011, 06:05 AM   |  #511  
everest.deth's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Managua
Thanks Meter: 163
 
921 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccaannabell

I have gfree on my sd card on my MT4G but I am unable to move it to data folder (my data folder is also empty no data/local)

I have the .86 and have been trying to get S-OFF for 3 hours now.

Any idea on what to do?

Your file manager does not have root access, get root explorer or tru_drew's option which is free on the market (i think astro works as well)

You could also use adb

Sent from my rooted glacier running CM7 and the honeybread theme
18th February 2011, 02:07 AM   |  #512  
moabizzi's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Marlboro NJ
Thanks Meter: 182
 
637 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2008
Donate to Me
More
Unhappy FML, have no clue what to do
i have a virgin MT4G (specs below) , i did the guide so i get the S-Off, but when i go into terminal and type su, it says access denied. idk why im getting that if my S-Off is there. doesnt that mean that its permanently rooted? i was reading through the threads, and thats what i understood from it. please correct me if im wrong. i couldnt do the titanium back up, terminal was "access denied" i tried attempting multiple visionary + temp roots and then tried the attempt permroot now, but regardless of what the S-Off teases me with, its not rooted... can anyone help?

Glacier PVT ship S-Off
Hboot - 0.86.000
Microp - 0429
Radio - 26.03.02.26_M
eMMC - Boot
Sep 27 2010, 11:12:59

Android Version: 2.2.1
Baseband Version: 12.28b.60.140eU_26.03.02.26_M
Kernal Version: 2.6.32.21-g899d047 htc-kernal@and18-2 #1
Build Number: 1.17.531.2 CL277036 release-keys
Software Number: 1.17.531.2
Browser Version WebKit 3.1
18th February 2011, 02:32 AM   |  #513  
Junior Member
Flag Sapulpa
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2009
More
Noob question, but:
Can we uninstall VISIONary? Or do we have to keep it installed, just with Root on Boot turned off?
18th February 2011, 04:33 AM   |  #514  
everest.deth's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Managua
Thanks Meter: 163
 
921 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeOperatee

Can we uninstall VISIONary? Or do we have to keep it installed, just with Root on Boot turned off?

Yes you may

Sent from my rooted glacier running CM7 and the honeybread theme
18th February 2011, 04:35 AM   |  #515  
everest.deth's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Managua
Thanks Meter: 163
 
921 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by moabizzi

i have a virgin MT4G (specs below) , i did the guide so i get the S-Off, but when i go into terminal and type su, it says access denied. idk why im getting that if my S-Off is there. doesnt that mean that its permanently rooted? i was reading through the threads, and thats what i understood from it. please correct me if im wrong. i couldnt do the titanium back up, terminal was "access denied" i tried attempting multiple visionary + temp roots and then tried the attempt permroot now, but regardless of what the S-Off teases me with, its not rooted... can anyone help?

Glacier PVT ship S-Off
Hboot - 0.86.000
Microp - 0429
Radio - 26.03.02.26_M
eMMC - Boot
Sep 27 2010, 11:12:59

Android Version: 2.2.1
Baseband Version: 12.28b.60.140eU_26.03.02.26_M
Kernal Version: 2.6.32.21-g899d047 htc-kernal@and18-2 #1
Build Number: 1.17.531.2 CL277036 release-keys
Software Number: 1.17.531.2
Browser Version WebKit 3.1

I had that same issue for whatever reason the root was not stickin even though i had S=OFF, grankin suggested me to change my bootloader to the engineering one and maybe that would fix it. In fact it did, you will find the steps to flash the eng bootloader at the end of the guide

Sent from my rooted glacier running CM7 and the honeybread theme
The Following User Says Thank You to everest.deth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th February 2011, 08:09 PM   |  #516  
bobsbbq's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Covington, LA
Thanks Meter: 353
 
5,153 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2008
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essenar

This should be added to the OP!
1) If after using the gfree method, you install a custom rom and wish to revert, understand that some custom roms have a different kernel than the stock kernel.
2) In order to completely revert:
Use the stock T-Mobile rom, changed to PD15IMG.zip to convert the rom/kernel back to stock.
After the convert to stock is complete
Install Visionary from SDCARD after enabling unknown sources/usb debugging AGAIN.
Use Visionary to temproot like you would if you were rooting (your root will be dead after stock T-Mobile rom but S=OFF will still be there)
DO NOT REBOOT.
After getting Temp-Root, you can do the following:
Use adb push to put gfree on /data/local again.
chmod 777 gfree again as well, this is important.
Now do the ./gfree -f followed by the dd if=/blah step.
Once that's done, do NOT reboot.
While in terminal with SU still enabled, cd to your unroot directory and sh unroot.sh.
After doing this, you will 100% guaranteed have s=on!!!

The reason people are having trouble with s=off still sticking is because after flashing a custom rom, gfree can't find the necessary files to run fully. Without gfree finishing, unroot.sh will not be able to turn secu-flag back on.

I can't seem to get S=Off. I had cm7 ROM on there and I did the steps to revert and did not work. I got the stock hboot but still S=off. I tried your method and got the original ROM back on but this did not work. I tried 2 different part7 backups I had but neither worked.

I still have S=off. Any other ideas?
18th February 2011, 10:26 PM   |  #517  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
144 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2008
Did you make sure to push gfree on data/local again and chmod it again? After flashing stock rom, you have to push gfree again and chmod it because it won't be there anymore.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App
19th February 2011, 01:03 AM   |  #518  
unk2009's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag New York(Hudson Valley)
Thanks Meter: 208
 
729 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2009
More
I followed the guide, but when I chmod 777 gfree it says unable to chmod 777 gfree: no such file or directory...Any suggestions ?
19th February 2011, 01:15 AM   |  #519  
everest.deth's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Managua
Thanks Meter: 163
 
921 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by unk2009

I followed the guide, but when I chmod 777 gfree it says unable to chmod 777 gfree: no such file or directory...Any suggestions ?

You are not on the directory where gfree is located .

If gfree is on /data/local then

Su
Cd /data/local
Chmod 777 gfree


Sent from my rooted glacier running CM7 and the honeybread theme
19th February 2011, 01:39 AM   |  #520  
bobsbbq's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Covington, LA
Thanks Meter: 353
 
5,153 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2008
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essenar

Did you make sure to push gfree on data/local again and chmod it again? After flashing stock rom, you have to push gfree again and chmod it because it won't be there anymore.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

I'm not sure who you were answering but for me yes I did. Not sure why I can't get S=on

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes