Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,906 Members 42,460 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How good is the camera?

Tip us?

Neo Cortex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default How good is the camera?

I am thinking of getting a Defy as a free upgrade to my Hero. Reviews of camera seem mixed but general impression is that it's not brilliant, especially in low light. Interested to hear the views of people here.

Mercano
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You can compare the photos from defy with various other phones, including N8, iPhone4 on gsmarena site. Just click on some of the latest reviews, doesnt matter which phone, and go to the camera section of the review. There is a photo compare tool.

Neo Cortex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Thanks. That was helpful but I am more interested in the low light performance.

Higgsy
Old
Thanks Meter 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Cortex View Post
Thanks. That was helpful but I am more interested in the low light performance.
I was pleasantly suprised with the quality of the flash. up to a metre or 2 it is very effective and doesn't wash out the photo like some others. All in all I am pleases with the camera - thats just my opinion though.

Nexus 5 - Cataclysm - Faux Kernel

Neo Cortex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Thanks. I am almost certainly going to get one. The nagging doubt in the back of my mind is the speaker issue. Difficult to know how much of a problem it really is. People who don't have the issue (obviously) don't post to forums

BizzaBoy
Old
Thanks Meter 29
None of those Cell Cameras are that cool in low light compared to a DSLR. What would really help is a camera app that writes out a dng file so that one can properly posprocess this in say Lightroom/Photoshop/Noiseware.

Just for completeness shake, the camera module seems to be a MT9PT012 ...

Sorensiim
Old
Thanks Meter 154

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgsy View Post
I was pleasantly suprised with the quality of the flash. up to a metre or 2 it is very effective and doesn't wash out the photo like some others. All in all I am pleases with the camera - thats just my opinion though.
IMHO - flash and camera is pretty awful. Here's a shot with flash, I even gave it +20 brightness in Gimp:

Then again, I might be spoiled by these babies:

Ironically - That was shot with my HTC Desire

I guess the Defy's camera is just below cell-phone average. It should't be your only camera, but for "Hey this looks fun!" shots it'll do fine.

xdaid
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 601
I really like my defy but, honestly, the camera is not the best part.
Also the display looks not so brilliant as the desire's one.

I'm not saying they're bad, just they're not wonderful, but considering defy's price it's absolutely fair.

dave79
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Well, one thing none of the others can do is H2Oing it. I just filmed in water, definitely better results than any other phone attempting the same

stfnlg
Old
Thanks Meter 2
I'm using the Camera360 app. There is a filter called "Effect enhancement". If i you this one, the pictures look better - the ones taken in short range. Ok, they do look a bit "artifical", but for me its ok. There is a "free" version of that app for trying out...

The Defy is not the first Android i bought, but it will be the first Android, which will not be sold again. I really like this phone...

Maybe there will be some kind of camera-optimization. Until then, i will take my digi-cam for "more important" pictures to make.

Best regards
Stefan