Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Root without z4Root or SuperOneClick? How does it work?

OP DavidThompson256

3rd December 2010, 04:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 16

11 posts
Hey guys, as always, thanks in advance.

I've been playing with the Galaxy Tab for a week or two, and it is fantastic. I was able to easily root it by downloading z4Root, and running that. Now I have a slightly different request. Is there a way to manually get root on the device without the use of programs like z4Root or SuperOneClick?

My assumption is that these programs are running an elaborate series of commands, and it is usually just simpler for most of us to download an existing root exploit, than to do it manually. What I'm looking for, is a way to automate the entire process of rooting a device from Sprint, removing the preinstalled Bloatware, making a few settings changes, and installing a few applications. I want to do this with no need for any interaction on the Galaxy (other than turning on USB debugging and plugging it in), including running z4Root and clicking the buttons.

I'm writing a batch file to send all the adb commands necessary, as I've done on previous Android devices. Say for instance I want to install this on 50 different devices, I'd prefer to not have to run z4Root on each of them by hand. On a previous Android tablet I was able to do something like this:

Code:
adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
adb shell cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
adb shell reboot
But that doesn't work on the Galaxy obviously. I'm just wondering if there is something similar. Basically, can someone explain to me how the z4Root exploit works? What exactly is going on under the hood? I suspect though, that it may require significantly more complicated logic that could/should be done in a simple batch file.

Here is what I'm looking to have when I'm done:

The Galaxy Tab will be used for an in-house, single purpose app. (Meaning, I don't need custom UI, phone calling hacks, etc).

The app I will be running does not actually need root itself to run even, meaning after I remove the bloatware and change a few settings, I don't even care if I KEEP Root access after things are set up.

I would like to avoid (if possible) adding any more programs/apps/files to the phone than necessary, meaning I'd prefer to not leave a "SuperUser" app in the menu if possible. And I want to find something that won't have a lot of licensing restrictions to my use.

I'm sorry that sounds complicated, and I tend to drone on, giving far more information than is actually needed. In short, lets just start with- "How does z4Root work?" Thanks again as always guys. I appreciate the help.
3rd December 2010, 04:38 PM   |  #2  
Flag Ealing
Thanks Meter: 313

3,863 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidThompson256

In short, lets just start with- "How does z4Root work?" Thanks again as always guys. I appreciate the help.

In essence, it uses the "RageAgainstTheCage" exploit

You may find this tutorial that I wrote for the Toshiba AC100 useful, as I'm pretty certain most of it applies to the Tab.

Regards,

Dave

EDIT- or you can just follow this thread instead which does much the same thing, but is Tab specific!
Last edited by foxmeister; 3rd December 2010 at 04:40 PM.
3rd December 2010, 04:46 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 16

11 posts
Ah, yes, I just finished reading that thread, and it had EXACTLY what I needed! I feel kind of dumb because that other thread was posted WHILE I was in the process of typing up my post. I guess I just type slow

Anyway, I'm willing to call this one closed already. I was able to find everything I need in blacklevel's post over here.

Thanks for the help.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread