Quick hacked up app to create soft menu/back keys - SoftKeys v3.06

OP bpk

8th December 2010, 08:46 AM   |  #101  
Thanks Meter: 8

785 posts
I messed up and made the soft menu dissappear totally. I tried to uninstall and reinstall, but hat didn't help. I accidentally (kids, don't try to set up an Android device in the middle of the night!) pressed so that the regular function should take over for the soft menu, except for when doing long/double presses. But I press triple and press like crazy, and I can't get it to appear. So we have established that I'm an idiot... Do I have to do a hard reset for this to work again? I looked for it in Extras and Settings, but couldn't find anything.
8th December 2010, 10:28 AM   |  #102  
Thanks Meter: 5

42 posts
bpk,

THANK YOU SO MUCH! You added notification bar options - really useful for this HD2 user. Getting force close when I use the softkeys that appear at the bottom but the notification bar buttons work great - so thanks!

If I could make a suggestion? It would be great (at least for us on a HD2 with smaller screens) if we had the option for the icons to not persist on the notification bar when the bar isn't pulled down. My notification is quite crowded (see attached pic) because the softkey icons are there - for me they only need to be there when the bar is pulled down.

Also there is no entry for soft keys in the app drawer so getting back into the app to change preferences is tricky.

All suggestions not criticisms because this app is great and I'm so grateful - would love to donate a bit of cash for a coffee or two to help your efforts - let me know where I can do this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAP201012081024.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	459048  
8th December 2010, 12:24 PM   |  #103  
Flag Tamil Nadu
Thanks Meter: 6

151 posts
Looks like you are the Messiah for lot of HD2 Android Users here ( including me ). Thanks for your great application. Please continue your work and provide us HD2 User with it. We appreciate it!
Furthermore take a look at our Softkey Thread with cool UI suggestions and ideas...good success!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=841559
8th December 2010, 04:54 PM   |  #104  
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
anyone else having problems with this after rebooting the Nook?

the "home" screen doesnt load automatically.. (just a blank screen with the buttons on the bottom). I have to intiate the launcher and press the home button for it it load up the home screen.

Do I just have the options wrong or?

Thanks!

Chris
8th December 2010, 05:00 PM   |  #105  
Thanks Meter: 377

262 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanel

the "home" screen doesnt load automatically.. (just a blank screen with the buttons on the bottom). I have to intiate the launcher and press the home button for it it load up the home screen.

Thanks!

Chris

Mine does this as well, I just hit home and never really thought about it.
8th December 2010, 05:12 PM   |  #106  
Thanks Meter: 17

128 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanel

Thanks!

Chris

No, that's how it behaves. Since your system is treating SoftKeys as it's "home" app, that's what gets run after reboot. But SoftKeys is designed to act as an overlay on top of whatever app is running when you press the hardware button. At boot there is no foreground app, so you overlay onto a blank screen.

I don't know how easy it would be to detect that the device just booted and run the default launcher app automatically, but in the meantime just press the (virtual) home button after boot and you should be back to normal.

As as slight tangent, since SoftKeys is really needed for apps that hide the notification bar, it would also be really cool if there was a way to detect if that notification bar was already visible. If so, just straight to the home/launcher screen, if not then pop up the button bar (thus avoiding the double-stacked bar effect).

Either way, I think SoftKeys is the biggest thing that's happened to the nook color since the original rooting. Very cool stuff.
8th December 2010, 05:28 PM   |  #107  
Thanks Meter: 0

18 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk

That effects what the nook button does while softkeys is the current foreground application, so from any normal app the first press will bring up softkeys, then you can single press or double press from there. You can't tie softkeys to double press of the home because when you press home it just opens your home app, so that application would need to call softkeys on the second press and I don't think you'll get all the launcher authors to buy in to that

The only way to get around this would be to modify the android.policy.jar stuff and change the global home key behavior since it's handled in the window manager. If someone makes custom roms for this they could modify that but I'm trying to keep this all in a single apk and do as much as I can from there without having to modify the system.

bpk,
I thought about this some more driving in to work this morning. I think it might be possible to make this happen. If you made the "default" mode of your program to launch soft keys, check for a double tap, if none than immediately go to the soft home button, with no interaction. So, if you just click once, it would end up going directly to the Nook homescreen. In the event that you double clicked the Nook button, then it would recognize that and lauch the soft keys. Your thoughts? This isn't that big of a deal, but I find myself hitting the Nook button and then the soft button for home pretty often. I think out of habit with my Android phone and using the home key on it. When I am "done" with something I always want to get back to the home screen and it would be nice if I could do that with one button press.
8th December 2010, 05:32 PM   |  #108  
Thanks Meter: 3

31 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by go0nie

bpk,
I thought about this some more driving in to work this morning. I think it might be possible to make this happen. If you made the "default" mode of your program to launch soft keys, check for a double tap, if none than immediately go to the soft home button, with no interaction. So, if you just click once, it would end up going directly to the Nook homescreen. In the event that you double clicked the Nook button, then it would recognize that and lauch the soft keys. Your thoughts? This isn't that big of a deal, but I find myself hitting the Nook button and then the soft button for home pretty often. I think out of habit with my Android phone and using the home key on it. When I am "done" with something I always want to get back to the home screen and it would be nice if I could do that with one button press.

While I think this is a great option, I would want to see it as a selectable option in the settings. I personally would prefer to not have to double-tap to get the back button to show.
8th December 2010, 06:11 PM   |  #109  
Thanks Meter: 377

262 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by go0nie

bpk,

With the existing settings you can have a single press of the hard button load the softkeys and another press go to your launcher. This is how mine is set up now. I can see the virtues of being able to reverse this behavior, however. It is fairly infrequent that I'm in an app where I actually need SoftKeys, but when I am it is completely indispensable. As a result, I would say at least 90% of the time when I am pressing the physical home button I just want to load the launcher. The other 10% of the time maybe I am in Aldiko or viewing a photo in the Facebook where the statusbar is hidden. Right now I am having to double press the hardware button 90% of the time to go home and single click it 10% to access the soft Back or Menu buttons. This makes me concerned that I may be putting undue wear and tear on the physical button, etc.

I use an android app on my Droid called PowerStrip that can be configured the way go0nie wants. When you press home, there is a configurable delay while it waits for a second home press. If one is not received, it just goes to the launcher as normal. If I press home and again within the configurable delay, an on screen overlay appears with recent apps, shortcuts, and a full app drawer. I use it because it makes switching directly between apps very easy and fast. Maybe bpk can get some design ideas from PowerStrip. Here is a video of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRxVYXkO0Hs

Note: In this video PowerStrip is configured opposite of what I described. Single click opens PowerStrip and double click opens Launcher which is behavior that is already attainable in the current version of SoftKeys.
8th December 2010, 11:05 PM   |  #110  
Thanks Meter: 80

220 posts
More
Hey, devs, would it be possible/desirable to add another button to replace/fix the "reading now" function?

It seems that installing a different default launcher breaks the button in the status bar so that, if Nook Home launcher is not running, the button is useless.
Take a look at this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=865986
Last edited by feisty_noodle; 8th December 2010 at 11:11 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread