[Ask Your Questions Here] Questions & Answers for Epic 4G Users

6th December 2010, 06:47 PM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 1,253

2,173 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylwsub68

n00b question.

If an SDK version is released (say, like, Gingerbread today), does that mean chefs could take it and cook up a ROM for ANY phone (say, like, the Epic)? Or do they need something else to do that?

The SDK is just the toolkit (programs to compile and related functions) but it doesn't come with the source code for our phones - while an experienced programmer may be able to convert the gingerbread source from another device, that is more difficult than it might sound. So the short answer is, no, the only way to cook up a ROM for ANY phone is to have the source code (or a stable stock rom to use as a base, but no source means the changes will be mostly graphic alterations). We probably won't see gingerbread on the Epic for a long time... (Fingers crossed that I'm wrong, lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by byersbw

Please forgive my ignorance... I've searched the forums, looked at the wiki...

I use titanium backup and am now running the DK27 froyo build by noobnl. My question... How do I restore my e-mail accounts to the phone everytime without having to re-type them in? I've been flashing a rom every other day on average since I got the phone and it's getting REALLY old.

EDIT: Wow, this response was worded poorly, lol...
As far as I've seen, restoring data from a backup causes a lot of force close problems. The only exception (which I haven't tested myself) is app data for downloaded apps - I have read that Titanium Backup can restore just the data without subsequent problems... but we're talking about things like game progress (Angry Birds was the app discussed in the thread I saw), and as far as I know, restoring anything else (including system data) will cause problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSanna1488

When can we expect a custom Kernel with netfilters for wifi tethering?

Custom kernel work can't really even begin until we have the source code, which usually drops shortly after the official OTA release... which raises the question, has this recent OTA update started coming to the rest of us yet? (I won't see the notification as I'm already on DK28)
Last edited by styles420; 7th December 2010 at 11:55 PM.
6th December 2010, 08:16 PM   |  #22  
Flag Portland, OR
Thanks Meter: 166

575 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by styles420

which raises the question, has this recent OTA update started coming to the rest of us yet? (I won't see the notification as I'm already on DK28)

Great question. I was actually planning on flashing back to DI18 after the 5 day test period that someone with "insider information" mentioned on the original (now deleted) OTA leak post. Since the unofficial OTA came out on the 3rd I'm going to flash to DI18 on the 8th or 9th to see if the official OTA is available. That is, unless someone reports it sooner.
6th December 2010, 08:32 PM   |  #23  
Flag GMT-8
Thanks Meter: 473

2,111 posts
More
On DI18 my Macbook Pro was able to mount my phone/sd card no problem, but with DK28 I always get an error that it could not be mounted and OSX asks me if I want to ignore it or eject the device. Has anyone mounted to OSX on DK28 successfully?
7th December 2010, 01:04 AM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 451

1,406 posts
noob here, so 2 questions

so i read this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...rkmod+unrooted

and watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H723FzC8E_o
(just read his description)
this might sound stupid but....
can i do this basically as a way to just create a backup of my system pre-rooted, pre-anything? (Got my phone 3 days ago)...because as far as I can tell, this allows me to effectively boot into clockwork (without having root access), and instead of flashing, do the backup option so I can take a picture of my unrooted virgin phone and then reboot and still be stock?

and second (If I'm right about the first one)if I ever recovered to that backup, would my phone also be stock recovery (not clockwork)..

obviously this is all for if I decide to flash to stock for an OTA without losing anything, return the phone, etc..
7th December 2010, 01:56 AM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
can someone help me in flashing back to stock DI18?
7th December 2010, 04:14 AM   |  #26  

2,173 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzn210

can someone help me in flashing back to stock DI18?

There is a thorough guide on this forum, and I believe it is stickied - without a more specific question, that's the best answer anyone can give you... What part are you having difficulty with?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
7th December 2010, 04:21 AM   |  #27  

7 posts
[QUOTE=styles420;9636441]There is a thorough guide on this forum, and I believe it is stickied - without a more specific question, that's the best answer anyone can give you... What part are you having difficulty with?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App[/QUOT

Can you send a link to that guide going from the leaked 2.2 back to DI18? All i saw on the forums was using odin and unfortunately i have a mac.
7th December 2010, 05:26 AM   |  #28  

2 posts
hello i have the stock build samsung ECLAIR.dg17 i tried updating to 2.2 and it would not work i tried everything then i read that you need DI18 for the update to work so i tried that and it would not update to DI18 either any thoughts
7th December 2010, 12:32 PM   |  #29  

2,173 posts
[QUOTE=jayzn210;9636554]
Quote:
Originally Posted by styles420

There is a thorough guide on this forum, and I believe it is stickied - without a more specific question, that's the best answer anyone can give you... What part are you having difficulty with?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App[/QUOT

Can you send a link to that guide going from the leaked 2.2 back to DI18? All i saw on the forums was using odin and unfortunately i have a mac.

Heimdal is a homemade equivalent to Odin, that has versions for Windows, Mac and Linux. I have never used it since Odin has worked fine for me, but there are guides floating around XDA

I don't have the link, and since I don't really need it, I'll leave it up to you to do the search
7th December 2010, 12:41 PM   |  #30  

2,173 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs385

hello i have the stock build samsung ECLAIR.dg17 i tried updating to 2.2 and it would not work i tried everything then i read that you need DI18 for the update to work so i tried that and it would not update to DI18 either any thoughts

First thought - what steps did you do? (Don't leave out ANY details - you're giving us directions to get where you are, leave out one turn and there's no telling where we'll end up, but it won't be where you are)

How did you attempt to update to DI18? Also, what method did you use to try to go straight to 2.2? (I'm guessing an update.zip method, as the full Odin methods completely overwrite the system, so it wouldn't matter if you had DOS and a picture of a monkey on your phone before the flash...)

Remember, there are several methods to accomplish the same task - we can't say which step you might have messed up on until we know which steps you actually took.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
epic, epic 4g, epic 4g help, epic help, epic support, help thread, impaler, impaler help, impaler support, samsung, samsung support, theimpaler help, theimpaler747
Previous Thread Next Thread