Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,205 Members 40,497 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Desk Docks...

Tip us?

scrannel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default Desk Docks...

Not sure when or if Defy will get its own Deck Dock. But my wife got me these somewhat useless business card holders. However, as they're steel, I stuck a magnet to the back, put in my Defy and voila! Deck Dock!

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...cat=2000000351

disturkis4u
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Can you post a pic of your phone in it please

Sent from my DEFY using XDA app

scrannel
Old
(Last edited by scrannel; 6th December 2010 at 04:31 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturkis4u View Post
Can you post a pic of your phone in it please

Sent from my DEFY using XDA app
No... well, OK: lousy pictures but you get the picture. First shows magnet, second "docked" Defy. (Magnet came from Radio Shack).

casouzaj
Old
(Last edited by casouzaj; 10th December 2010 at 01:39 AM.) Reason: english, as always...
Thanks Meter 93
Default Wouldn't the BB Torch's charging dock suit?

Hi all,

Within weeks I'll receive my first Android phone, after 5 years using WM. Really hope to get adapted to this new platform. It's that I'm that lucky guy who has happened to win Clove's Motorola Defy giveaway competition .

Anyway, this is purely theoretical, but I have noticed that the Blackberry Torch 9800, closed, is slightly bigger than the Defy, in all 3 dimensions. Besides, its charging dock + home charger (you'll be able to find some of them on eBay, like e.g. this one) takes the Torch in landscape mode, and seems to have its male micro-USB port more to the right side, related to its center, which could match the Defy's. Don't know whether it bears a magnet or not, though. Or, if it is be placed in the same location as required by the Defy sensor. Despite all 'ifs', I wonder if the Defy would fit in.

Anyone here would be brave enough to try one of those and see if it fits?

Just my 2 cents...

Regards,
Carlos
Sony Xperia SP C5303
Rooted Stock Brazilian12.1.A.1.205 ROM
Best mid-range smartphone!

Previous smartphones:
Xperia J (with my daughter), Moto Defy (my son's toy), Acer Tempo M900 (crippled)!), i-Mate Ultimate 9502 (in a drawer), O2 Xda Exec (dead! ); HP iPaq h6365 (sold); Palm Tungsten W (sold).

scrannel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Do you have a BB Torch to compare? The USB adpater would have to be in the same orientation as the Defy's, which is "upside down" (narrow edge up). You'd have to have room to move the USB cover aside on the Defy too.

casouzaj
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Do you have a BB Torch to compare? The USB adpater would have to be in the same orientation as the Defy's, which is "upside down" (narrow edge up). You'd have to have room to move the USB cover aside on the Defy too.
Unfortunately, not. It was pure speculation. Maybe someone here can make a simple test...
Sony Xperia SP C5303

Previous smartphones:
Xperia J (with my daughter), Moto Defy (my son's toy), Acer Tempo M900 (crippled)!), i-Mate Ultimate 9502 (in a drawer), O2 Xda Exec (dead! ); HP iPaq h6365 (sold); Palm Tungsten W (sold).

Sorensiim
Old
Thanks Meter 153

DONATE TO ME
According to Mobilefun.co.uk, this thing should fit the defy as well...

Anyone feel like taking one for the team and putting their claims to the test? Looks like a nice dock but I'm afraid that A) it won't fit snugly and B) the usb cover will get in the way.

Step666
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorensiim View Post
According to Mobilefun.co.uk, this thing should fit the defy as well...
It might be worth asking them if they can provide photos to back up their claim.
It's in their best interest after all as I'm sure a few of us are interested in finding a decent desktop dock for their Defy.

casouzaj
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Default What? Milestone (Droid)'s dock?

I don't see how the Milestone's dock would suit the Defy, since the former's micro-USB port is to the left, whilst the latter's is to the right.

I might me heavily wrong though (as usual)...

Regards,
Carlos
Sony Xperia SP C5303

Previous smartphones:

Passa91
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Anyone had any luck finding a dock for this thing? I am interested as well.