Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,901 Members 52,220 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Which Display do you have, Inferior or Superior? And which color?
Inferior Display Quality & Contrast (White Model) 76 7.99%
Inferior Display Quality & Contrast (Black Model) 249 26.18%
Inferior Display Quality & Contrast (Plum Model) 23 2.42%
Inferior Display Quality & Contrast (Red Model) 57 5.99%
Superior Display Quality & Contrast (White Model) 90 9.46%
Superior Display Quality & Contrast (Black Model) 356 37.43%
Superior Display Quality & Contrast (Plum Model) 26 2.73%
Superior Display Quality & Contrast (Red Model) 74 7.78%
Voters: 951. You may not vote on this poll

MT4G Bad Display vs Good Display, Which do you have? Don't wait get a good one today!

Tip us?

bobsbbq
Old
(Last edited by bobsbbq; 2nd January 2011 at 09:14 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 353

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up MT4G Bad Display vs Good Display, Which do you have? Don't wait get a good one today!

Well there has been a lot of interesting things taking place in regards to the MT4G display quality, or contrast and colors. There seems to be good evidence of some devices being shipped with a more rich color and better contrast display and with better viewing from angles. The majority of the ones shipped have the less than perfect display which has less contrast and the colors, white are washed out and blacks are not true dark blacks. And the inferior display has trouble with viewing angles not being clear and has a washed out look, the launcher bar is gray instead of black etc.

This has been discussed here on XDA in this thread starting at post 32
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=838379&page=4 , and on the MT4G T-Mobile Official forums at
http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/myTouc...es/td-p/592439

I would like to thank everyone who has helped bring this issue forward and to help substantiate it. A big thanks to btbuck1, DADDYDC650, spitacular1, for getting this ball rolling. Thanks for your support and I know everyone who has received there better display device thanks us for bringing this to everyone's attention, including T-Mobile and HTC. I know at least some of the CSR's and employees have seen the thread in the official T-Mobile MT4G forum. So hopefully positive steps are in the works to correct things.

Here is a Video I shot of my new device with a good display compared to my wifes with a bad display. The video is not perfect as I'm a amateur and no tripod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMu-5KWA6s

Here is a picture which shows the differences with the top pictures showing the washed out less contrast display and the bottom pictures showing the better clear higher contrast display with good viewing at all angles.

It is unclear if these different devices have actual hardware differences or if there is some change in the software which is making the differences. HTC has made a response to a user that it had something to do with a coating on the LCD and they were aware of the problem. This has not been confirmed as of yet.

EDIT: There seems to be one thing in common and that is the LCD version LCD-SO-C2 is the good screen. Some developers have said it is a SONY LCD. And the bad one is the LCD-SH-C2 is said to be from SHARP. I repeat I personally have no proof but well respected dev have mentioned this in their findings. So you be the judge. (2 different screens and 2 different LCD model numbers) makes some logical sense.

EDIT: There are a couple of ways to get the LCD information to know for sure which type of display you have. If you are rooted with Eng hboot you should be able to see the system info in hboot to view the LCD versions.

Second method for stock non rooted devices is to install Terminal emulator from the market. Restart your phone and immediately open the Terminal emulator and type "dmesg" without quotes. You will see a lot of data. Just scroll all the way back to the top and look around line 14-15 and you will see a line that ends with Panel Type=1 or Panel Type=2
Panel type 1 is the bad screen and Panel type 2 is the good screen.

Here is a picture of what to look for:

Thanks to shlongwoodian for his posting it and you can find the original post here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=88

EDIT: I have opened a new poll with multiple choice voting and with more options. Please visit this thread to get a better idea of where the good and bad screens are coming from etc.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=895427

Please vote in this poll and tell which display you have and what color you have?

IF THIS THREAD HAS HELPED YOU PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON!
HTC One T-Mobile version
Current ROM: Stock
Carrier: Solavei

Own your Cell service. Say no to contracts and take charge of your service.

**If you like my work click: Donations Here**

IF I HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE USE THE THANKS BUTTON BELOW THE POST:
The Following 79 Users Say Thank You to bobsbbq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vw671
Old
Thanks Meter 130
Bad White voted.
-------------------------
Smartphone History: iPhone 3 -> iPhone 3S -> Captivate -> MT4G -> Amaze 4G -> S2 -> iPhone 4 -> S3 -> S4 -> 1+1

ArcticWolf91
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Oh wow I didn't realize the difference was so pronounced. I might buy the MyTouch 4G is there any way for me to make sure I get the good display? Like something I should look for while I'm at the store?

bobsbbq
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 353

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticWolf91 View Post
Oh wow I didn't realize the difference was so pronounced. I might buy the MyTouch 4G is there any way for me to make sure I get the good display? Like something I should look for while I'm at the store?
It is very easy just hold down on the home screen and select widget then select clock, right arrow over to the HTC clock as shown in the picture. Then just tilt the device to different angles you can set the brightness to auto or up a little if you want. If you see it clear like in the bottom pictures it is one of the better displays.

Since you are buying a new device demand you want one with a good display. If they give you any trouble send them to the Official MT4G forum their is a thread on there too.
HTC One T-Mobile version

daewond3r
Old
Thanks Meter 125
I never really checked until now. Mine looks good at the same angle as the second set of pics, which makes me glad.

However, I will admit my colors are kinda warm. I wish my whites were brighter.

Google Nexus 5 + Nexus 7 (2013)

Set sail from Hawai'i nei, docked in Cali-for-ni-a

bobsbbq
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 353

DONATE TO ME
Wow there is more good black ones than I thought. Btw did your black ones come with 2.2.1 from factory?
HTC One T-Mobile version

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobsbbq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

$pitacular1
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Had the inferior black, dropped it and shattered it about 7 days in.. was devastated but had insurance.

Filed claim, received the superior black... not happy about shelling out $130.00 for a replacement but very pleased it's a better phone.

mgymnop
Old
Thanks Meter 42
To be honest I still have no idea which one of those I have. My colors look very vibrant when I look at it directly. When I tilt it a lot then the colors are washed out a bit but who is holding the phone like that? My laptop screen has the same problem.

bobsbbq
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 353

DONATE TO ME
Well this is not true if you have the device on your desk in front of you you are looking at an angle and the colors are washed out. Plus the overall contrast of whites and blacks on the good display are better.

To some people it will not mater, but to some it will.
HTC One T-Mobile version

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobsbbq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

btbuck1
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgymnop View Post
To be honest I still have no idea which one of those I have. My colors look very vibrant when I look at it directly. When I tilt it a lot then the colors are washed out a bit but who is holding the phone like that? My laptop screen has the same problem.
sounds like you have the good one. the bad ones color is washed out period. and they fade out at even the slightest angle. The good one does fade out, but only at extreme angles.