5,596,857 Members 49,048 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

FIXED: G2 Hinge Teardown/Repair

Tip us?

verkion
Old
(Last edited by verkion; 9th December 2010 at 12:24 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default FIXED: G2 Hinge Teardown/Repair

So, I decided to fix my G2 hinge which was a little on the loose side but didn't want to use magnets because it would affect the Compass. If you don't think magnets do affect the compass, i invite you to open up HTC or Google Navigation GPS app and wave a magnet around your phone and watch your direction change.

In any case, I looked for a teardown online in hopes that it would show the actual spring mechanism for the Z-Hinge...but all of them seemed to have skip that part. So...here's a photo of the ACTUAL MECHANISM responsible for the "snapping/springy" action of the phone. As you can imagine, assuming you can get to this point in terms of disassembly, tightening up the mechanism is SUPER EASY. All you have to do is take out the spring, stretch it, put it back in. I think the only way they could have made this mechanism smaller and more reliable is to have used a tiny hydraulic piston in place of the spring, but since I'm an EE and not a Mech Eng. well, what do I know!

<EDIT>
Link with instructions for taking apart your phone. You will need a T5 Screwdriver and a puny Phillips Screwdriver.

http://tjworld.net/blog/htc-desire-z-tear-down
</EDIT>

Ok, without further ado:

Enjoy!
verkion
P.S. I can have the KB open, G2 upside down and shake it fairly vigorously before it will begin to close now! Definite improvement!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to verkion For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ddgarcia05
Old
(Last edited by ddgarcia05; 7th December 2010 at 07:37 AM.)
Thanks Meter 122
Damn...

Assuming you could find a spring small enough to fit you could buy a spring with a higher tension. That's what I did with my Ruger LCP to help the feeding cycle.

You could have taken a couple dissemblely pics to help us get to that point.

Thanks for the info.

luis86dr
Old
Thanks Meter 1590
Might want to add this voids warranty. Lol. Secondly if you could add some insight as to how you actually managed to disasemble the phone to access the hinge. That would be great. Might actually try this myself. Big might. Lol.

[G2/HTC Vision]

verkion
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis86dr View Post
Might want to add this voids warranty. Lol. Secondly if you could add some insight as to how you actually managed to disasemble the phone to access the hinge. That would be great. Might actually try this myself. Big might. Lol.

[G2/HTC Vision]
Tear down is here...

You only need to tear it down as far as PCB Removal to access the spring mechanism in the hinge (its the top side near the power button). BE SUPER DUPER careful with PLUGGING IN the micro-SD ribbon cable when you reassemble. One of the spring tension pins (its a flip up type ribbon cable clamp), broke off on me. I was like OMFG for about 2 minutes until I realized it was just the tension pin NOT an actual connection pin.

Oh yeah, and for anyone that hasn't figured this out already...WARRANTY = VOID!!! :P Oh, and the normal CYA (cover your a$$ clauses) apply...I'm not responsible for any damage etc. etc. etc. that YOU might cause doing this fix/mod.

verkion
The Following User Says Thank You to verkion For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

luis86dr
Old
Thanks Meter 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by verkion View Post
Tear down is here...

You only need to tear it down as far as PCB Removal to access the spring mechanism in the hinge (its the top side near the power button). BE SUPER DUPER careful with PLUGGING IN the micro-SD ribbon cable when you reassemble. One of the spring tension pins (its a flip up type ribbon cable clamp), broke off on me. I was like OMFG for about 2 minutes until I realized it was just the tension pin NOT an actual connection pin.

Oh yeah, and for anyone that hasn't figured this out already...WARRANTY = VOID!!! :P Oh, and the normal CYA (cover your a$$ clauses) apply...I'm not responsible for any damage etc. etc. etc. that YOU might cause doing this fix/mod.

verkion
Thanks bro.

[G2/HTC Vision]

konoplya
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Excellent post, thanx

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

sino8r
Old
Thanks Meter 529
Thanks for finding a REAL cure! Magnets lol! morons... nice work though! I glad you found a fix for those how have (or imagine they have) a hinge problem. maybe this will shut folks up about this finally...
evolution
HTC Wizard G3
HTC Excalibur
HTC Dream
HTC Sapphire
HTC Rhodium
HTC Espresso
HTC Glacier
HTC Vision
HTC Doubleshot
Samsung Note 2

My recent works:
2G/3G/4G/H+ icons for CM7.1 and Nightly

How to defeat data throttling

2.1 with JIT enabled on MTS

boot animation (Nexus "X"/HTC "quietly brilliant") for MTS

nivlac978
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Nice job man. Quite the set of balls you got there my friend. I may try this when my warranty expires.(and my hinge gets to a point where i can,t stand it.)

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

Lennyuk
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1220

DONATE TO ME
Now I havn't tried magnets on this phone (or any other).. but I do know that the magnetic strength of magnetic tape, such as was used in the other "fix" is not very strong at all, as it barely strong enough to work as the fix it was intended to do, for this reason I could believe that it had no effect on the compass.

However sure, if you use a proper magnet it will mess things up.

However, very nice job on this but I doubt many will want to void their warranty when they could just send it back under warranty and do it that way.
I am some sort of dev and a writer for LandofDroid. I am also a member of HTC Elevate. Was a member of the now defunct "Team Villain" aka VillainRom.

HTC One
How to flash a firmware.zip? Thanks Makbil
How to find your product type i.e. M7_U or M7_UL?
Why has my files moved from /data/media to /data/media/0/?
UID Error? - Delete the Quadrant directory from /data/data and/or check /data/system/uiderrors.txt

Mods
Camera v5.1.620655 for Modaco.SWITCH - https://copy.com/VD4qKYFHM6F0
Fix for Google+ Locations Grey Map Issue

http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic2315688_1.gif

Device info:

Current: HTC One, Google LG Nexus 4, Google Asus Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Galaxy Note II Samsung Galaxy S III, Advent Vega (Tablet), Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire, HTC Hero

www.lennyuk.co.uk
Twitter | Google+
Like what I do? help me have a coffee<----- This is a link

sino8r
Old
(Last edited by sino8r; 7th December 2010 at 11:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyuk View Post
Now I havn't tried magnets on this phone (or any other).. but I do know that the magnetic strength of magnetic tape, such as was used in the other "fix" is not very strong at all, as it barely strong enough to work as the fix it was intended to do, for this reason I could believe that it had no effect on the compass.

However sure, if you use a proper magnet it will mess things up.

However, very nice job on this but I doubt many will want to void their warranty when they could just send it back under warranty and do it that way.
You are correct about the warranty. Although there are a few stickers on the torx screws that say void... they won't refuse your phone and claim that your warranty is voided. Its bs. They just check for eextremely obvious things like water damage and physical damage. I was a cell tech forever... they hardly care about that crap like is its rooted or whatever. Just don't make it too obvious like a phone stuck in a boot loop with cyanogen logo flashing over and over, lol!

But it does depend on the tech... if he/she is an asshole and dont root their own phones or hack... they could reject it. personally, I think those are the type that have no buisness being a tech nor would understand that rooting a phone is going to cause any serious damage to it. unless you flash the wrong spl/hardboot but at that point... 90% likely it wont even boot into bootloader in which there's no way to tell what happened whether it was a custom flash or a bad board. those are instant replacements as long as there's no physical/liquid damage. well, sorry for hijacking the thread and my poor spelling. good work with the hinge, OP! those ribbons can be a pain to reseat!
evolution
HTC Wizard G3
HTC Excalibur
HTC Dream
HTC Sapphire
HTC Rhodium
HTC Espresso
HTC Glacier
HTC Vision
HTC Doubleshot
Samsung Note 2

My recent works: