Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,559 Members 52,434 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Root filesystem image.

Tip us?

_nz_
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelch View Post
And so I've been digging into this, and it turns out that this is really quite similar to how the Gen 7 Archos 5 IT is locked.

The signature there is a RSA + MD5 signature, which is really the worst case as that means a 2048 bit RSA key, so we're kinda screwed there.

... has a good description of the situation on the 5IT. Getting a flash_unlock binary should be fairly trivial, so perhaps we can tamper with the key store to add additional keys.
just a note of caution, if you write a bad key store or a bad bootloader, you will brick this device permanently. I would advice you to wait for the gen8 "SDE" release that will allow you to run your own kernel and userspace without risk of bricking. SDE should be out in a few days.
The Following User Says Thank You to _nz_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chrulri
Old
Thanks Meter 275

DONATE TO ME
so with SDE we could run perm. root with the Archos' Froyo or even Googles Android 2.3 / 3.0 release and do whatever we want? (e.g. custom rootfs / custom kernel)
what are the borderlines of SDE?

mothy
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by _nz_ View Post
just a note of caution, if you write a bad key store or a bad bootloader, you will brick this device permanently. I would advice you to wait for the gen8 "SDE" release that will allow you to run your own kernel and userspace without risk of bricking. SDE should be out in a few days.
nz: If I'm wrong let me know but you work for Archos right?

blazingwolf
Old
Thanks Meter 401

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothy View Post
nz: If I'm wrong let me know but you work for Archos right?
Yep. Confirmed in another thread.

I really like the sound of the SDE. Can't wait to see it.
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 (Rooted NC5), Nook HD (CM11)

In fire and EMS? Check out my apps on Google Play Pumper Calc and Code Log.

mothy
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingwolf View Post
Yep. Confirmed in another thread.

I really like the sound of the SDE. Can't wait to see it.
thats what I thought but is it dangerous to the root development to have a company rep seeing what we are doing? I dont know just wondering?

thefunkygibbon
Old
(Last edited by thefunkygibbon; 10th December 2010 at 04:04 PM.)
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mothy View Post
thats what I thought but is it dangerous to the root development to have a company rep seeing what we are doing? I dont know just wondering?
you really dont think that google/htc/microsoft etc dont use these forums? i know for a fact microsoft have been for many years when these guys were hacking up wm5 roms

its just a shame that they dont take positive actions from what they must learn (i'm positive that some people on here are much better devs than what some companies have in their dev teams!)

mothy
Old
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon View Post
you really dont think that google/htc/microsoft etc dont use these forums? i know for a fact microsoft have been for many years when these guys were hacking up wm5 roms

its just a shame that they dont take positive actions from what they must learn (i'm positive that some people on here are much better devs than what some companies have in their dev teams!)
Yeah true!

Hexidecimal
Old
Thanks Meter 2
If I'm mistaken please let me know but the SDE looks like the environment that lets you install Angstrom linux. How will that be helpful in loading a rooted android image onto the device? Will it give us the ability to see the encryption on these flash chips so we can build new ROMs without fear of bricking? Just curious. Thanks!

czesiu
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulri View Post
so with SDE we could run perm. root with the Archos' Froyo or even Googles Android 2.3 / 3.0 release and do whatever we want? (e.g. custom rootfs / custom kernel)
what are the borderlines of SDE?
there is some info for older devices at the bottom of this page:
http://www.archos.com/support/support_tech/updates.html
Quote:
Once the SDE firmware is installed on a device, this device will be watermarked and ARCHOS will be able to detect that this firmware has been installed once.
Installing the SDE firmware is considered by ARCHOS as a voiding of the warranty

blazingwolf
Old
Thanks Meter 401

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by czesiu View Post
there is some info for older devices at the bottom of this page:
http://www.archos.com/support/support_tech/updates.html

Not really a surprise. Most of the stuff we do usually voids the warranty.
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 (Rooted NC5), Nook HD (CM11)

In fire and EMS? Check out my apps on Google Play Pumper Calc and Code Log.