Root filesystem image.

12th December 2010, 09:44 PM   |  #51  
Thanks Meter: 275

896 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingwolf

One less reason to worry about using the SDE.

yay!!!
12th December 2010, 10:36 PM   |  #52  
Thanks Meter: 5

65 posts
Wow, that's great to hear.
I guess I should have expected that based on what others have learnt with the partitions and such.
This is going to be so amazing after we have SDE.
13th December 2010, 04:24 AM   |  #53  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _nz_

gen8 has no DRM keys.

Aside from potential warranty issues, are you aware of any drawbacks to using the SDE with Android compared with the stock firmware?
13th December 2010, 11:07 AM   |  #54  
Thanks Meter: 20

688 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonPhantasm

Wow, that's great to hear.
I guess I should have expected that based on what others have learnt with the partitions and such.
This is going to be so amazing after we have SDE.

exactly my question from another thread. will be be still able to use the (rather awesome) video player? if not it will be a bit of hard decision whether to use a custom rom since no other players i have come across will play the amount of content as smoothly as the archos one does.
13th December 2010, 11:13 AM   |  #55  

896 posts
Donate to Me
why should we throw the player away by making a custom rom?
13th December 2010, 11:16 AM   |  #56  
Thanks Meter: 20

688 posts
well given that sense roms you couldnt take the sense apps out of them to put in to a AOP rom at all. its not completely outrageous to think that maybe archos have tied in their apps to their own roms.
13th December 2010, 11:19 AM   |  #57  

896 posts
Donate to Me
ummm.. okay. so let's wait and see
14th December 2010, 12:59 AM   |  #58  
Thanks Meter: 3

38 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulri

why should we throw the player away by making a custom rom?

For the Archos 5IT (gen 7) around 60mb of the 256 mb RAM is always dedicated to the AVOS archos media player, leaving only ~196 for the android OS. I don't have a gen8 product yet, but i would be surprised if there was any difference here (anyone can confirm?). A clean android build would thus allow you to use the full 256 mb of RAM for your android experience.

Also, because of all the hard work archos has done integrating their media player into the OS, it might be easier and quicker for a 3rd party to come up with an AVOS-free gingbread or honeycombe release than for Archos to release an official one themselves. It is also possible that omitting Archos' media player might allow for a less buggy an snappier OS which would make better use of the hardware and provide a better android experience.

Finally, with a multiboot situation (which is currently possible with the gen 7's) you would not need to throw away the player as the original OS remains intact and available. However, I would agree that there might be little benefit of a home-made pure gingerbread release over an AVOS enabled froyo release by archos (i would personally not be bothered here but can see that someone else might).

Meego however....

bbop

tl;dr
why lose archos media player for a custom ROM?

More ram
Better pure android experience
no need to throw away archos media player anyway with a multiboot setup.

to see what has been done with gen7's you can read up on openaos.org
Last edited by bbop; 14th December 2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: my keyboard is rubbish and sticks and I'm too llazy to proof read before its already too late
The Following User Says Thank You to bbop For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th December 2010, 09:02 AM   |  #59  
Flag Warsaw
Thanks Meter: 38

335 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbop

For the Archos 5IT (gen 7) around 60mb of the 256 mb RAM is always dedicated to the AVOS archos media player, leaving only ~196 for the android OS. I don't have a gen8 product yet, but i would be surprised if there was any difference here (anyone can confirm?). A clean android build would thus allow you to use the full 256 mb of RAM for your android experience.

'free' command returns ~244 of total ram on archos 70
what was that on 5IT?
The Following User Says Thank You to czesiu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th December 2010, 09:49 AM   |  #60  
Thanks Meter: 11

22 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbop

it's way less in gen8, the video display grabs around 11M at boot...

The Following User Says Thank You to _nz_ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread