[App] Minimal notepad with Dropbox sync - need testers

Tip us?

mvilla
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 271
Default [App] Minimal notepad with Dropbox sync - need testers

Hi!

I've just published my first app on the market - it's called Epistle.
It's a very simple text editor that can sync your notes with Dropbox; I will add folder support and note search soon.
Since all I've got is an old HTC G2 I'd appreciate if someone could help me test it (especially the synchronization mechanism).

You can find the app here: kooklab.com

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	one.png
Views:	1191
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	459101   Click image for larger version

Name:	two.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	459103  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mvilla For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hiddenhandgun
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Looks nice. Love the interface. However I am getting an FC whenever i hit "Sync". Account linked, I turned off all the automatic syncs, have reinstalled. I don't see any activity in my dropbox. Have attached logcat.

The only thing I would change is the note title field. I appreciate how other notepads use a bit of the first note line as the title.

You need to make a donate version, btw. I have been jonesing for a PlainText-alike and would happily pay for one!
Attached Files
File Type: txt logcat.txt - [Click for QR Code] (59.9 KB, 22 views)

mvilla
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 271
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenhandgun View Post
However I am getting an FC whenever i hit "Sync".
There is a stupid bug that prevents the app to perform the very first synchronization.
I'll push an update soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenhandgun View Post
The only thing I would change is the note title field. I appreciate how other notepads use a bit of the first note line as the title.
I think I can manage to do that, somehow.

Thanks!

Invisible Elf
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi! I like your app, but there is one thing I don't like. You should be able to give an option name to the folder it creates in dropbox. I'd rather have a folder named "Notes" than "Epistle", no offense to your namechoice.

GZFan
Old
Thanks Meter 18
This app is awesome!
I've now a Todo-list on my desktop and phone, synced!

Becksman
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Good work. I really like the idea.

Some comments:
1. I agree regarding the aforementioned opinion on the titling of notes. If no personal title is entered, the note should display the first line of the note in the overview list.

2. When you create a new note, the title is highlited and can be entered. However, as soon as the orientation of the phone changes (e.g. to landscape) the cursor is in the beginning of the text field and the title of the note cannot be changed. The same goes for the use of a hardware keyboard. When I flip my Desire Z open to use the hardware keyboard the same thing happens.

3. Deleting notes: The app should refresh by taking the latest changes into account. If I remove the note on the phone it should disappear from Dropbox. If I delete a file from dropbox, it should delete the note in the app.

4. Discarding notes. It should be possible to get back to the list view without saving a note. It's a good idea to have the note saved automatically when you press back. But you might provide a "discard note" option when you press "menu" while editing a note.

Regards,
Becksman

mvilla
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible Elf View Post
You should be able to give an option name to the folder it creates in dropbox. I'd rather have a folder named "Notes" than "Epistle", no offense to your namechoice.
I'll add the option to change the sync folder in some future release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksman View Post
2. When you create a new note, the title is highlited and can be entered. However, as soon as the orientation of the phone changes (e.g. to landscape) the cursor is in the beginning of the text field and the title of the note cannot be changed. The same goes for the use of a hardware keyboard. When I flip my Desire Z open to use the hardware keyboard the same thing happens.
In landscape you should still be able to hide the virtual keyboard (with the back button) and double tap on the title to edit it.

Quote:
3. Deleting notes: The app should refresh by taking the latest changes into account. If I remove the note on the phone it should disappear from Dropbox. If I delete a file from dropbox, it should delete the note in the app.
If you delete a file from the phone everything works as expected; the other way around at the moment cannot be implemented - with the current API there is no way to tell if a file has been deleted from dropbox.

Quote:
4. Discarding notes. It should be possible to get back to the list view without saving a note. It's a good idea to have the note saved automatically when you press back. But you might provide a "discard note" option when you press "menu" while editing a note.
This is also coming in the future.

hiddenhandgun
Old
Thanks Meter 7
The new release fixed the sync right up. Thanks!

I am getting ready to import ~500 notes from simplenote. We'll see how it goes.

Becksman
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanz86 View Post
In landscape you should still be able to hide the virtual keyboard (with the back button) and double tap on the title to edit it.
You're right. I tried that earlier and somehow it didn't work. I'd still prefer the cursor not to jump out of the title if I switch the orientation or open the hardware keyboard.

Quote:
If you delete a file from the phone everything works as expected; the other way around at the moment cannot be implemented - with the current API there is no way to tell if a file has been deleted from dropbox.
For me it's not working either way round. I "removed" 2 notes in the App and in my Dropbox they still appear. When I start the App they however don't show up anymore. I tried hitting "Sync", which resulted in a FC. However I just tried it again - created a new note, synced it and removed it again. This time it somehow worked.

Regards,
Becksman

mvilla
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 271
Quote:
I'd still prefer the cursor not to jump out of the title if I switch the orientation or open the hardware keyboard.
That what it should do - I'll try to fix it.

Quote:
For me it's not working either way round. I "removed" 2 notes in the App and in my Dropbox they still appear. When I start the App they however don't show up anymore. I tried hitting "Sync", which resulted in a FC. However I just tried it again - created a new note, synced it and removed it again. This time it somehow worked.
I'll soon push another update on the market that should resolve most of the sync problems.

Tags
android, dropbox, notepad, text editor