5,595,428 Members 47,685 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] ADB for Noobs - How to get adb working !

Tip us?

steviewevie
Old
Retired Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWilson View Post
Also update it for Mac / Linux users.

Mainly different adb files (I had adb and fastboot for Win/Mac/Lin uploaded somewhere, if you want?) and they go in /system/bin instead of PATH.

Otherwise, good idea + well done.
Thanks. I need someone to help me come up with the different steps for Mac/Linux users please ? Then I can add those in.

DanWilson
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 55

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviewevie View Post
Thanks. I need someone to help me come up with the different steps for Mac/Linux users please ? Then I can add those in.
I'll do that.
I'll also hunt down my Mediafire adb and fastboot files, because not everyone wants the whole SDK

I don't know if you need any drivers for the phone (like HTC Sync for Windows). Someone else will need to tell you, or you can wait till Christmas.

DanWilson
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 55

DONATE TO ME
INSTALLING ADB

Step 0

Drivers perhaps? XD

Step 1

Download these files;
Mac - http://www.mediafire.com/?z8myxs9941kz3gg
Linux - http://www.mediafire.com/?m62rt943mroxm4s

Or you can download and install the Android SDK (Software Development Kit) Starter package from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

You can read all about how to install the SDK at http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing.html . Ignore all the stuff about Eclipse though, you don't need that unless you're going to start writing Android apps.

Now, from version 8 (Android 2.3) of the SDK onwards, adb has been taken out of this starter package. If you downloaded version 7 (Android 2.2), then you've already got adb and you can skip Step 3 and go straight to Step 4 below. Otherwise you need to proceed to Step 3 to add adb to the SDK.

Step 2

Extract the files and rename "adb-linux" ("adb-mac") to "adb" and "fastboot-linux" ("fastboot-mac") to "fastboot"
You could call it anything you like, like "cheese" and "bread", but that makes things difficult.

Step 3

Mac - Copy the files to the folder /bin
You will need to unhide the folder. Google it.

Linux - Copy the files to /system/bin *OR* /bin
I have not used Linux for ages so my folders are rotting away. I believe you will need root access to do this, I used Kongregate (I think) as an app to control my root copying needs.

Step 4

On your phone, go into Menu->Settings->Applications->Development and make sure you have the entry "USB Debugging" ticked. adb will not work without this.

Step 5

Plug your phone into your PC using the original HTC cable. This is important, do not use a third-party cable since it might not work with adb (even though it might seem fine with other communication with your phone). Or whatever.

Step 6

Open a Terminal window. On your PC/Mac. To emphasise, you are running this on your PC, not directly from your phone (e.g. terminal emulator) :

The part were it says "Dan-Wilsons-MacBook:~ danwilson$" will probably not be on your PC/Mac, unless you are called Dan Wilson, and have a MacBook.
Code:
Dan-Wilsons-MacBook:~ danwilson$  adb devices
This should display something like the following :

Code:
List of devices attached
XXX12345    device
... where the "XXX12345" bit is actually your phone's serial number. If the list is blank and the phone is plugged in ok, go back to Step 6 and make sure USB Debugging is enabled. If you can see your phone, YOU WIN A CHEESECAKE!

If you decided to be awkward and call "adb-linux" ("adb-mac") "cheese", replace the word "adb" in command lists (like the above) to "cheese". It looks cool but complicates things.
Example;
Code:
Dan-Wilsons-MacBook:~ danwilson$ cheese devices
-------------

I think this looks OK. Some bits are weird and I don't know about drivers, but still, better than nothing. It is rough, but I've not done it in ages. Sorry bout that.

Here is the adb and fastboot files for Windows. Check they work with the Z before throwing them in the first post. If you do.
http://www.mediafire.com/?zlbyfbaaf5lrj8i
The Following User Says Thank You to DanWilson For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

steviewevie
Old
Thanks Meter 615
I've updated this guide to flesh it out a bit more (still more to be done though).

Significantly, please note that in the latest version of the SDK (i.e the one for Android 2.3), they have taken adb *out* of the Starter version of the SDK. So now there's an additional step, which is downloading the "Platform Tools" component of the SDK. It's all in the guide though.
The Following User Says Thank You to steviewevie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lightningtrip
Old
Thanks Meter 8
nice, this needs to be "stickied"..

androidcues
Old
(Last edited by androidcues; 13th December 2010 at 08:02 PM.) Reason: added adb pull
Thanks Meter 91
steviewevie...

whatever you are on.. can i haz some?

you are poster of the year! wow, such effort.

this beeyotch must be stickied all over the world.

EDIT -- i dont see "adb pull /" so as to dump all your files from system data etc into your sdk folder. if i missed that nevermind!
grouper / htc ville tmous one-s / otter -kindle fire /htc vision -tmous g2 / htc dream - tmous g1
seriously, i love the Android community.

gtrab
Old
Thanks Meter 508
@steviewevie:

My 2 cents for your great work:

I have tested and uploaded a Mini ADB package and the ADB USB drivers for Windows Vista / Windows 7, to the Resources Centre, easy tutorial + FAQs thread here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=835777

I thought this would make things easier for newbies or people who don't want to download the whole SDK / Sync software

Also, setting the path is not required, since the "Runme" file is located inside the same folder within the ADB files

This could save some steps for newbies

If you find it helpful, feel free to link from your guide
The Following User Says Thank You to gtrab For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

steviewevie
Old
Thanks Meter 615
Thanks for the input guys, I have some updating to do !

amroush_1800
Old
(Last edited by amroush_1800; 14th December 2010 at 03:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviewevie View Post
INSTALLING ADB - METHOD B, THE "QUICK" WAY, NO SDK

Step 2

Download the adb binary from ? * to be completed *

Direct Download Links for Android SDK Platform-tools, revision 1

ht*p://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools_r01-windows.zip

ht*p://dl.google.com/android/repository/platform-tools_r01-windows.zip

It contains ADB.exe and needed dlls

size 3.06 MB

Also i recommend ADBMagic from Chainfire if you got tired of using ADB commands by hand for a lot of operations

ht*p://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=746313
Have fun
The Following User Says Thank You to amroush_1800 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ldf913
Old
Thanks Meter 0
if you add adb.exe to system32 folder is windows u can adb from anywhere in command prompt.. just in case adding the variables dont work
Modding Machine:
T-Mobile G1
T-mobile G2
HTC One S

ROM: Axiom S-Less
Mods: When my first Rom comes out

Recovery:Touch Clockwork Recovery
SD Card: 16GB