Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,664 Members 42,521 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to repartition your sd card to fat32 after rooting

Tip us?

Ben74
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 187
Default How to repartition your sd card to fat32 after rooting

if you're having trouble partitioning your sd card back to fat32 after you root using nooter, try the method here. what that guide tells you is to basically use this program to enable the Delete Partition menu option in Windows Disk Management, if it's grayed out.

i was going crazy trying to partition my sd card until i found this info. hope it helps.
Nexus 5 | Galaxy Nexus | Kindle Fire | Samsung Captivate | NookColor | T-Mobile G1
Developer of SkipLock, Touch Pilot, Unlock With WiFi, NookColor Tools, and Choose Browser
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben74 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tokyomonster
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Unless you need to make separate/multiple partitions, there's a much easier way to do this.

Follow the steps to root your nook. Once those are done, and the nook is all rooted and booted, take your SD card as is, put it back into the Nook, then go to:

(this is from memory so feel free to correct me)
Press the button to pull up the context menu with device settings
Then go to device info
Then click on SD card
Click on 'umount sdcard'
Then click 'format sdcard'

And voila! You're done. The SD card has to be put back into the Nook AFTER it's booted, otherwise it will try to boot off the SD card when you turn it on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tokyomonster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ben74
Old
Thanks Meter 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyomonster View Post
Unless you need to make separate/multiple partitions, there's a much easier way to do this.

Follow the steps to root your nook. Once those are done, and the nook is all rooted and booted, take your SD card as is, put it back into the Nook, then go to:

(this is from memory so feel free to correct me)
Press the button to pull up the context menu with device settings
Then go to device info
Then click on SD card
Click on 'umount sdcard'
Then click 'format sdcard'

And voila! You're done. The SD card has to be put back into the Nook AFTER it's booted, otherwise it will try to boot off the SD card when you turn it on.
yes, you can format it, but it's still going to have a 40mb partition, because that's what the card is left with after rooting. assuming your card was larger than 40mb, you'll want to repartition it to get the full capacity of the card back.
Nexus 5 | Galaxy Nexus | Kindle Fire | Samsung Captivate | NookColor | T-Mobile G1
Developer of SkipLock, Touch Pilot, Unlock With WiFi, NookColor Tools, and Choose Browser

tokyomonster
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben74 View Post
yes, you can format it, but it's still going to have a 40mb partition, because that's what the card is left with after rooting. assuming your card was larger than 40mb, you'll want to repartition it to get the full capacity of the card back.
Are you sure? I'm not positive that's the case. I won't be able to verify until later this evening, but I'm pretty sure the SD card is just left with one partition using the full size of the SD card, and not with the 40MB partition, and then a partition with the remainder of the space.

I know for a fact that when I plug my Nook in, I only see the Nook's internal memory and 1 SD card partition get mounted. If the 40MB partition remained, it should show me the Nook's internal memory, and 2 SD card partitions get mounted, which is not the case.

califrag
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben74 View Post
when you format the card using the nook it will fix the partition tables. i did this with my 4GB card and it worked fine.

Ben74
Old
Thanks Meter 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyomonster View Post
Are you sure? I'm not positive that's the case. I won't be able to verify until later this evening, but I'm pretty sure the SD card is just left with one partition using the full size of the SD card, and not with the 40MB partition, and then a partition with the remainder of the space.

I know for a fact that when I plug my Nook in, I only see the Nook's internal memory and 1 SD card partition get mounted. If the 40MB partition remained, it should show me the Nook's internal memory, and 2 SD card partitions get mounted, which is not the case.
yeah. the nooter method leaves the card with only one 40mb partition. you can format this partition to fat32 and you will see it in the nook, but it's still only 40mb. there won't be two partitions on the card. i did this myself. then i realized the partition was only 40mb, and that repartitioning is necessary.

Ben74
Old
Thanks Meter 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by califrag View Post
when you format the card using the nook it will fix the partition tables. i did this with my 4GB card and it worked fine.
i see. so the nook is clever like that. very well, ignore my OP!

JJ.80
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Partition/Format SD card

I used a 2GB (1.86GB usable)SD card to root my nook color and followed Tokyomonster's method of using the nook to format the SD card so I could get back the rest of the space available. Once formated the nook, as well as disk management in windows verified that the sd card was back to 1 partition with the 1.86GB of usable space.

Thanks Tokyomonster!!

gtriever
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Not as elegant or simple as using the Nook, but I use Active@ Partition Manager (free, btw) and delete the existing partitions, then create a new one and format.

wvcachi
Old
Thanks Meter 107
If for some reason you can't let the Nook reformat it, you can also insert the SD into a rooted android phone, and format it using Amon Ra Recovery. I did this before I found out that the Nook could do it.