Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 41,865 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Minimal UI for LUKS encryption on the Wildfire

Tip us?

sigkill1337
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Lightbulb Minimal UI for LUKS encryption on the Wildfire

This is a basic gui I wrote to unlock my encrypted partitions during boot.
I'm running my /data and /sdcard partitions encrypted, and the "luksunlock" binary is launched from init.rc to read the password and unlock the encrypted partitions.

I have included my somewhat modified init.rc for those interested.
For more information about LUKS on Android see this blogpost, written by shawn (Seems I'm not allowed to have urls in the post, but Google for 'android luks' , first hit)

This works good on Wildfire, altough it should work fine on other phones as well. Just remember that you need to set up your partitions as in the luksunlock.c (or change the defines).

Dont forget to backup before you start playing around!
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	menu.jpg
Views:	1620
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	459499  
Attached Files
File Type: txt init.rc.txt - [Click for QR Code] (14.8 KB, 524 views)
File Type: zip luksunlock.zip - [Click for QR Code] (610.3 KB, 415 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sigkill1337 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tusabe
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks! i'll give a try!

tusabe
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,

I tried to use your cryptsetup binary from your blog, but I have some issues that you'll sure have an answer:

I run ./cryptsetup luksFormat -c aes-plain /dev/block/loop2 and after i put the luks password it says 'Command failed', no logs, no other output, even using the -v flag...

Any clue?

Thanks in advance!

PS: the module dm-crypt is necessary for cryptsetup? could be this the error? I don't have it installed on the system because I can't find it for 2.6.35.9-cyanogenmod

Sympnotic
Old
Thanks Meter 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusabe View Post
Hi,

I tried to use your cryptsetup binary from your blog, but I have some issues that you'll sure have an answer:

I run ./cryptsetup luksFormat -c aes-plain /dev/block/loop2 and after i put the luks password it says 'Command failed', no logs, no other output, even using the -v flag...

Any clue?

Thanks in advance!

PS: the module dm-crypt is necessary for cryptsetup? could be this the error? I don't have it installed on the system because I can't find it for 2.6.35.9-cyanogenmod
CM6.1 for wildfire uses a 2.6.32 kernel (see HCDR.jacob's post about his custom kernel for more info)

sigkill1337
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusabe View Post
Yeah you really need dm-crypt support, either compiled into the kernel or as a module. You also need the AES ciphers support.

tusabe
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigkill1337 View Post
Yeah you really need dm-crypt support, either compiled into the kernel or as a module. You also need the AES ciphers support.
Hi! Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.... ok, but the problem is that i'm running CM6.1 with 2.6.35.9 which has no dm-crypt module neither compiled in kernel... where can i find some kernel with this modules included? Is for an HTC Desire (@Sympnotic )

Thanks in advance!

NathanFreitas
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Great work and thanks for sharing @Sigkill. Working on building it here for my NexusOne with CM6.1.

BTW, I’m the lead on a project working on general secure Android distro – we’ve ported Tor, have an OTR IM app, and have supported other projects along those lines. Would love to talk more about supporting anyone working on this specific capability.

needto
Old
Thanks Meter 0
wow! awesome work!!! Very exciting news. Gonna give this a go on my MyTouch Slide

sigkill1337
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanFreitas View Post
Great work and thanks for sharing @Sigkill. Working on building it here for my NexusOne with CM6.1.

BTW, Im the lead on a project working on general secure Android distro weve ported Tor, have an OTR IM app, and have supported other projects along those lines. Would love to talk more about supporting anyone working on this specific capability.
Seems really nice. I like the secure phone concept.

NathanFreitas
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Talking New Makefile and wiki info up

_hc from the @guardianproject has a new build process up for Crypsetup/LUKS which includes a Makefile compatible with Android NDK r5.

We have new instructions up on our wiki, as well.

I cannot post links under this account, but you can find the info on github if you search "LUKS" or just under our guardianproject account.

Tags
dm-crypt, encryption, luks, remember-to-backup-before