Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[MOD]Change "Sprint" on AOSP (No HexEdit/CDMA)(Scrolling Lockscreen Text)

OP Karadorde

9th December 2010, 08:37 AM   |  #1  
Karadorde's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Sugar Creek
Thanks Meter: 145
 
488 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
I searched through EVO 4G Themes and Apps and did not find this method; however, I am posting it here in case it is a repost. I suppose a mod could move it later if users find it helpful and they felt inclined to do so.

So far the two main methods I've seen are done with CDMA workshop or hex editing .xml files. I didn't like either of these methods too much. CDMA workshop costs money unless you download it illegally, and even then it only works half the time. I do not care for hex editing very much either. Not to mention the fact that you have to use a text-hex converter and download a hex editor. Plus, whenever the framework changes in the rom (happens very often with CM) you have to do a lot of work with the .xml if you don't want your phone to bootloop into eternity. (Do not misconstrue what I am saying. The user who created the hex editing method for changing your lockscreen/notification bar text does great work and I used his method for a long time. The framework in CM changes so much though and I don't expect him to constantly update his method for one specific rom.)

I scoured several sites to find this method only to find out it has been posted on XDA. The only problem I saw was that the posts were within [Q] threads and therefore buried to the average user. This is my attempt to share this with the community. I don't take any credit for the actual method. Just trying to bring it up so we all have options.

This edit is very easy to complete. Try it at your own risk.

0. Make a Nandroid backup. Hopefully this is second nature by now.
1. Download eri.zip
2. Unzip the file to wherever you please.
3. Right click on eri.xml and choose "Open with Notepad"
4. Once you open the file you will see "Sprint" in the 5th line.
5. Delete Sprint and place whatever you would like in it's place. I believe you have up to 16 spaces to work with if need be.
6. Save the file with an .xml extension. Important: Make sure it is eri.xml and not eri.xml.txt. This will cause issues.
7. Place the eri.xml in your /androidsdk/tools directory.
8. Pull up your Command Promt/Terminal/Etc
9. CD to your /androidsdk/tools directory and:
Code:
adb remount
adb push eri.xml /data/eri.xml
adb reboot
10. Success. Hopefully.

I have heard that this method does not work for some. It worked for me earlier tonight and for another CM user that I shared it with. Hopefully this gives you an alternative to the other methods if they didn't work or if you aren't comfortable with them.

Let me know if I left anything out or if there are any issues.




UPDATE:
Thank you lovethyEVO for bringing it to my attention. Looks like this will only work for CM roms (though I would imagine it would work on any AOSP rom) at this point in time. Just tested on a Sense based rom and saw no change. Sorry folks.


UPDATE 2:
After reading through a few posts, I figured it was only right to write up some instructions on how to complete the edit from the phone itself.


Apps needed: Root explorer is ideal but it costs money and it is not necessary if you don’t want to pay for it. So for this method, we will go the long way and use AndroZip and Terminal Emulator (Possibly DropBox as well, will explain later), all of which are free on the Market.

1. Download the file to your phone. Depending on your settings it will either be on the root of your SDCard or in a “download” folder. If in a folder, move it to the root of your card. Do this by opening Androzip, go to your download folder on your SD card, long press on the file, select “Move,” press the back button, and then press the “Move Here” button that has appeared in the top right.
2. Unzip the eri.zip file. Tap on eri.zip and select “Extract file here.”
3. Open the file. Tap on your newly unzipped eri.xml, tap “Open,” pick an app to edit the file (AndroZip has a built in text reader that won’t work because it does not have an Edit option. This is where DropBox can come in handy since it contains a Text Editor in case your rom does not have one built in.)
4. Find “Sprint” and change it to your desired text. Save the file before exiting. If you try to back out before saving it should prompt you to save.
5. Move the file to the appropriate location. Exit AndroZip and Open up Terminal Emulator. Type:
Code:
su
cd /sdcard
mv eri.xml /data/eri.xml
Alternately, use
Code:
cp
instead of
Code:
mv
if you want to keep a copy of your edit eri.xml on your sdcard. Will come in handy if you ever do a full wipe and a fresh install of CM.
6. Back out of Terminal Emulator and restart your phone.
7. Success?

Sorry for the wordy directions. Tried to make sure I covered all of my bases. Figured more directions were better than not enough. Let me know how this works. You can use other apps if you want. These just happened to be the ones I had on my phone at the time. Hope this helps those that don't like ADB or just want to complete the edit straight from the phone.

UPDATE 3:
To remove the edit completely you can use Root Explorer, navigate to /data, long press on eri.xml, and then select Delete. If you don't have Root Explorer, then open Terminal Emulator and type:
Code:
su
rm -r /data/eri.xml
Reboot after deleting the file and you will go back to Sprint.

UPDATE 4:
There doesn't really seem to be a limit on the character count with this modification. 24601 did a little bit of experimenting and found out that the text will actually scroll across the lockscreen if you complete the edit with a long enough phrase. The text doesn't scroll in the drop down notification menu and looks a little jumbled, but it is definitely a cool effect on the lockscreen. Nice find either way.
Last edited by Karadorde; 12th January 2011 at 05:48 PM.
The Following 52 Users Say Thank You to Karadorde For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th December 2010, 04:21 PM   |  #2  
kingcliff00's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag new york
Thanks Meter: 4
 
122 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2007
More
Thumbs up
Thanks man finally a fast way to do it.....using a mac everything is different lol but just wanted to confirm that it worked for me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20101209_101526.jpg
Views:	4708
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	460078   Click image for larger version

Name:	snap20101209_101744.jpg
Views:	3808
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	460079  
The Following User Says Thank You to kingcliff00 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th December 2010, 04:39 PM   |  #3  
-shift-'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 826
 
4,596 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
fantastic post...

gonna test it out later and complain to you about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to -shift- For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th December 2010, 07:22 PM   |  #4  
w84mike's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Long Beach CA
Thanks Meter: 23
 
161 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
This didn't work for me. The text change is definitely on the phone. I used root explorer to find and read the eri.xml file in the data folder and my change is there, but "Sprint" still shows up on my notification bar and lockscreen, not my newly revised text. Have rebooted a second time just to be sure. Dang, I knew this sounded too easy, lol.
9th December 2010, 07:23 PM   |  #5  
Senior Member
Flag Schofield Barracks
Thanks Meter: 112
 
763 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
I'm assuming this only works for cm since in most sense based roms (and I think aosp but I'm not sure) there aren't any xml files that are parsed from the data folder.

As far as needing a text-hex convertor, you don't need it with hxd or any decent hex editor. In hxd, on the right hand pane are the text equivalents of the hex values. Just replace the text in the right hand pane and the proper hex values will be automatically updated.

When replacing text in xml files it takes me all of about 5 to 7 seconds to find, replace, and save the text without using an externel text-hex convertor.
9th December 2010, 08:27 PM   |  #6  
Karadorde's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Sugar Creek
Thanks Meter: 145
 
488 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by w84mike

This didn't work for me. The text change is definitely on the phone. I used root explorer to find and read the eri.xml file in the data folder and my change is there, but "Sprint" still shows up on my notification bar and lockscreen, not my newly revised text. Have rebooted a second time just to be sure. Dang, I knew this sounded too easy, lol.

I know some people have gotten it to work by doing the edit entirely from the phone. I have noticed that sometimes files only work or rather work best when pushed to the phone. You might try the ADB method and see if that helps. If not, I will investigate. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethyEVO

I'm assuming this only works for cm since in most sense based roms (and I think aosp but I'm not sure) there aren't any xml files that are parsed from the data folder.

As far as needing a text-hex convertor, you don't need it with hxd or any decent hex editor. In hxd, on the right hand pane are the text equivalents of the hex values. Just replace the text in the right hand pane and the proper hex values will be automatically updated.

When replacing text in xml files it takes me all of about 5 to 7 seconds to find, replace, and save the text without using an externel text-hex convertor.

Excellent. I encourage you to use the method that works best for you. This method is for those whole would rather not download an extra program or deal with hex editing at all.

I will check into the question about compatibility with Sense based roms. Off the top of my head I think it works, but I won't say for sure until I can prove it.
9th December 2010, 08:31 PM   |  #7  
-shift-'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 826
 
4,596 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethyEVO

I'm assuming this only works for cm since in most sense based roms (and I think aosp but I'm not sure) there aren't any xml files that are parsed from the data folder.

As far as needing a text-hex convertor, you don't need it with hxd or any decent hex editor. In hxd, on the right hand pane are the text equivalents of the hex values. Just replace the text in the right hand pane and the proper hex values will be automatically updated.

When replacing text in xml files it takes me all of about 5 to 7 seconds to find, replace, and save the text without using an externel text-hex convertor.

i believe the purpose of karadorde sharing is that it doesn't require a hex editor; that it can be done in notepad. it's good that you can do it in 5-7 seconds, but there are always users who will feel uncomfortable with taking that route.

kudos on timing yourself though.
9th December 2010, 08:45 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Schofield Barracks
Thanks Meter: 112
 
763 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_

i believe the purpose of karadorde sharing is that it doesn't require a hex editor; that it can be done in notepad. it's good that you can do it in 5-7 seconds, but there are always users who will feel uncomfortable with taking that route.

kudos on timing yourself though.

The hex edit method saves time everywhere else. Like I said, sense based roms don't parse xml files from the data folder that I know of.

In order to edit any xml file in sense you have to decompile the apk, make the edits, and then recompile the apk and hope it doesn't bootloop. That's longer than a couple of seconds to hexedit a file and reinsert it into the apk.

With this method, while it works for cm, almost all xml files in sense are binary and are not easily edited in notepad and won't be edited properly.

Kudos to the op for the method but unless the rom explicity allows parsing human readable xml files the hexedit method will still be a "go to" overall.
9th December 2010, 08:51 PM   |  #9  
-shift-'s Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 826
 
4,596 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethyEVO

The hex edit method saves time everywhere else. Like I said, sense based roms don't parse xml files from the data folder that I know of.

In order to edit any xml file in sense you have to decompile the apk, make the edits, and then recompile the apk and hope it doesn't bootloop. That's longer than a couple of seconds to hexedit a file and reinsert it into the apk.

With this method, while it works for cm, almost all xml files in sense are binary and are not easily edited in notepad and won't be edited properly.

Kudos to the op for the method but unless the rom explicity allows parsing human readable xml files the hexedit method will still be a "go to" overall.

agreed. i use hxd myself, but for any cm users who want to customize, this is a pretty good method. regardless, i believe karadorde is testing it out on sense to provide a definitive answer.
9th December 2010, 08:56 PM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Flag Schofield Barracks
Thanks Meter: 112
 
763 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_

agreed. i use hxd myself, but for any cm users who want to customize, this is a pretty good method. regardless, i believe karadorde is testing it out on sense to provide a definitive answer.

Would be nice if it did work. Would be even better if the option to allow parsing of non-binary xml files could be integrated into a sense based rom.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
banner
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes