Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Don’t Forget About Birthdays with Birthday Reminder

A person’s birthday is, without a doubt,one of the most important days in his … more

Don’t Fear Flashing with I Don’t Want You!

The XDA message boards are full of various modifications, with many of these helping … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Heads-up - Forum merge (G2 and Desire Z) is here !

OP steviewevie

9th December 2010, 05:50 PM   |  #1  
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 615

5,322 posts
More
I've been talking to svetius, the admin responsible for "User Experience" at XDA, and apparently the G2 and Desire Z forums are going to be merged very soon now.

So this is just a heads-up for everyone to expect this.

I think it's going to be a very very good thing, because after all the G2 and DZ are essentially the same phones and run the same custom ROMs, so it will be good to have everything in one place. I think it will also encourage people who develop things to check how they work on both the G2 and DZ.

I've no idea how existing threads are going to be handled, but I'm sure the mods have it all in hand.

So soon, we're going to be sharing a single audience, and G2's and DZ's have their own different stock ROMs (e.g. HTC Sense on the DZ, just for a start). So when we post up about a basic problem with out phones, it's going to make it even more important to say which phone/ROM we have !

9th December 2010, 05:56 PM   |  #2  
Flag Dickinson
Thanks Meter: 76

363 posts
More
Must be a good thing. A lot of people may think that they are completely different phones.
9th December 2010, 07:02 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 15

290 posts
What it will do is reduce duplication and "walking distance" by keeping everything applicable in the same place.

The phones aren't "basically" the same, they are IDENTICAL. And don't say "frequency", because there are more than two sets of frequencies available on them despite having ONLY 2 common named.
9th December 2010, 07:11 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

27 posts
sounds like a good idea to me
9th December 2010, 07:48 PM   |  #5  
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 615

5,322 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhkr123

What it will do is reduce duplication and "walking distance" by keeping everything applicable in the same place.

Agreed. It's silly re-inventing the wheel for the DZ and G2 forums.

Quote:

The phones aren't "basically" the same, they are IDENTICAL. And don't say "frequency", because there are more than two sets of frequencies available on them despite having ONLY 2 common named.

Well, to be fair, they're not identical, because they have different HBOOT, different partitioning (very small difference), and different keyboard layouts.

But all those are minor issues - we don't need to mess with HBOOT now we've got gfree, so that counts out the first issue. The second issue is I think only one for a stock ROM. And the third issue is a very common one on all phones, they usually are made with different keyboard layouts for different regions, and custom ROMs should be able to handle this by add-on keymaps, or even better, options to switch keyboard layout.
9th December 2010, 07:57 PM   |  #6  
Flag Jersey
Thanks Meter: 1,591

2,220 posts
More
Sounds like a good idea to me. Gives assistance on both ends from knowledgeable users on both ends of the field. +1.

[G2/HTC Vision]
9th December 2010, 11:24 PM   |  #7  
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 102

1,451 posts
Donate to Me
More
Great thinking. Right now it is like making a hospital for each person, based on their surnames. Lol.
10th December 2010, 12:21 AM   |  #8  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 214

2,620 posts
More
****, i came from the TP2 section.. there are many different iterations of it (US=4-6 models because of US carriers -- Euro=5+ because of the different country languages).. many of them use different keyboard layouts.. but there was a quick fix by installing a keyboard fix .cab file (which i always had to use for my TmoUSA TP2 layout to fix the ALT key and the HOME button) since Cookers mainly used one ROM language & layout, which is WWE (world wide English).

but anyways, this shouldn't be a problem really, even tho the internals are a bit different.
10th December 2010, 07:38 PM   |  #9  
User Experience Admin
Thanks Meter: 4,251

3,573 posts
More
Please tell me which you prefer:

1. Full Merge

Four forums (the usuals) for both the G2 and DZ

2. Dev Merge

Merge DZ with G2 dev forum, delete DZ dev forum (which will have zero threads). Keep individual G2/DZ forums for general, accessories, themes and apps.
The Following User Says Thank You to svetius For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th December 2010, 08:51 PM   |  #10  
Flag Edinburg / Mcallen, Texas
Thanks Meter: 126

2,252 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by svetius

Please tell me which you prefer:

1. Full Merge

Four forums (the usuals) for both the G2 and DZ

2. Dev Merge

Merge DZ with G2 dev forum, delete DZ dev forum (which will have zero threads). Keep individual G2/DZ forums for general, accessories, themes and apps.

It seems that their the only subsection which actually gets heavy usage is the General Forum. The rest is very very dead. I suggest a full merge of the all but the General Forum section. Most of their users are on the sense rom and most of ours are on the froyo stock. I think a full merge of the General forums will only produce confusion for the noods and make it harder for any order to come about. Perhaps we can leave the two general forums separated for now and slowly see if the amount of traffic will change on its own favoring one side. If so, one can be killed.

Link to Desire Z forums: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=756

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread