Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,097 Members 44,086 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

gAppsInstaller - Froyo

Tip us?

kenyu73
Old
(Last edited by kenyu73; 26th December 2010 at 04:35 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Default gAppsInstaller - Froyo

*** Archos Devices Only ***

This includes only the Market, Calendar, Talk, GenieWidget and "required gSync" files. Any apps that are in the Froyo Market are NOT included. Honestly, this is better as it makes a smaller appInstaller package and its more compatible.

You can download the following from the Market -- Gmail, VoiceSearch, YouTube and Maps(Navigation)

SUMMARY
  1. v5-Stable -- (recommended!)

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
WARNING: If you've installed this or other gApps installers, you may have to RESET to successfully install gAppInstaller.

Note: You may get an error when you first open the Market, ignore the error. It may also take a few minutes before the Market updates from 2.09 to the current version.
  1. Download - http://code.google.com/p/archos-apps...downloads/list
  2. Copy download to your device via USB (if you didnt download directly using your Archos)
  3. Use 'Files' app to locate gAppsInstaller, then execute/install it
  4. Choose install core apps or choose to install your own packaged 'apps.zip' file located on the internal drive (not sdcard). There maybe a short delay after you tap an install button (its installing and you'll be notified when its done, about 5-10 seconds)
  5. REBOOT!!
  6. Sign into Market (Google Account Login)
  7. Follow the Market FIX instructions below

MARKET FIX:
This will get you most missing apps from the market, except some "protect market apps" like NYTimes.
  1. Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Market (Clear Cache then 'Force Stop' -- DO NOT clear data)
  2. Setting-->Manage Applications-->All-->Google Services Framework (Clear data then 'Force Stop')
  3. REBOOT again

Market Fix video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-ny...yer_embedded#!

If you do this correctly you will find most missing apps like 'Copilot Live USA' in the Market. However, some apps require certain features (like a GPS or Cell chip) and will not show up in the Market. Basically, if you search for application "MyGPS" and "MyGPS" is coded to REQUIRE a GPS chip, then the Android market will NOT show this app in the Market for our Archos Device because is lacks a GPS chip.

MARKET LANGUAGE FIX (unverified):
Once you install the Market, it will probably be in English only. You may be able to fix this by putting your device into English via Settings menu, then put the device back into whatever other language you require.

RESET DEVICE:
Follow these instructions to reset your Archos Gen8: http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopi...=42437&start=0
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to kenyu73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kenyu73
Old
(Last edited by kenyu73; 24th December 2010 at 03:14 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
12/23/2010:
v5 released and appears stable. This is the last froyo version since the Market auto-updates and NetworkLocation works.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenyu73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hexidecimal
Old
Thanks Meter 2
kenyu73 - Thanks for the update, could you possibly test a couple of apps for me before I wipe and load this up?

TweetDeck
Slingplayer
Moblox

Those have never worked correctly on your build and I use them pretty regularly. Thanks! Looking forward to results.

kenyu73
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexidecimal View Post
kenyu73 - Thanks for the update, could you possibly test a couple of apps for me before I wipe and load this up?

TweetDeck
Slingplayer
Moblox

Those have never worked correctly on your build and I use them pretty regularly. Thanks! Looking forward to results.
Both Tweetdeck and Moblox-Lite open without any FC's. I couldn't find Slingplayer in the market.
The Following User Says Thank You to kenyu73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Hexidecimal
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Awesome. I'll have to wipe and rebuild with this tomorrow then. Thanks!

orenf
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default any reason to re-install from v3?

I used your v3 (thank you very much!) - it worked well. I have Market + select Google apps on my A70.
I'm still missing some apps on Market that I'm unable to find no matter what, even after following "the procedure" - LauncherPro, AWDLauncher, etc. Frankly I can sideload most apps anyhow.

Is there any point/reason in installing v4? (I'm hoping for a "no")?

whoelsec
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Kenyu you are the man!
Current Phone model: Sony Xperia ZR C5503
ROM: Stock Sony Xperia Build 10.3.1.A.2.67 (Rooted)

Previous Phones:
Samsung Galaxy S III I9300, Sony Xperia Go ST27i, Samsung Galaxy Nexus I9250 (HSPA+), HTC Radar C110e, Samsung Wave S8500, HTC Touch Diamond 2 T5353, Samsung Jet S8003, LG KS20, Motorola MOTOROKR E6, Samsung Z540, Motorola E680i, Sony Ericsson K700i, Nokia 6610, Panasonic GD75, Siemens C35i

kenyu73
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by orenf View Post
I used your v3 (thank you very much!) - it worked well. I have Market + select Google apps on my A70.
I'm still missing some apps on Market that I'm unable to find no matter what, even after following "the procedure" - LauncherPro, AWDLauncher, etc. Frankly I can sideload most apps anyhow.

Is there any point/reason in installing v4? (I'm hoping for a "no")?
There are some "protected" apps that we'll never see. However, I can find LauncherPro(free) as well as ADW.Launcher(by AnderWeb) just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to kenyu73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

x64newcomer
Old
Thanks Meter 0
kenyu73, Thanks for your updates.

My A70 will arrive in tomorrow and look forward to implement your guide soon.

Please keep on fine-tuning it and share with us.

Hexidecimal
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Bit the bullet and loaded up the new app installer. It works perfectly. No more force closes on tweetdeck or when logging into the xda app. Thanks for this.

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App