[FIX] AdHoc Wifi support on the NC!
Great news everyone! </farnsworth>
ADHOC Wifi Support for Nook Color (stock)!
[EDIT] There appears to be an issue reconnecting when wifi sleeps and comes back on. Researching a permanent fix, in the meantime go to settings -> Wireless and toggle wifi off/on to correct it
This fix will allow you to connect to ADHOC wireless networks ( such as to a laptop or with wifi-tether on an android phone )
Like most other fixes, this requires your nook to be rooted and usb adb working, please follow the guides here and/or at the nook dev wiki first!:
HOWTO enable ADHOC tethering:
1. Download and unzip the attached zip file below, this should give you a wpa_supplicant-adhocfix
2. *DISABLE WIFI ON YOUR NC*
3. Make a backup of your current wpa_supplicant:
adb pull /system/bin/wpa_supplicant wpa_supplicant.backup
4. Remount the /system partition RW:
adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
5. Push the new wpa_supplicant:
adb push wpa_supplicant.adhocfix /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
6. Fix permissions:
adb shell chmod 755 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant
7. Remount the /system partition RO:
adb shell mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
8. Enable WIFI on your NC, you should now be able to see ADHOC networks in the list! ( they'll be displayed with a (*) prefix )
 Credit where credit's due, this was taken from a wpa_supplicant IBSS patch I found via a Google search, if anyone knows the party responsible, let me know so I can credit them properly!
This is compiled against TI's Omapedia Eclair sources ( http://omappedia.org
) - since this is a different framework than the B&N stock build, I can't guarantee this will work, won't brick your device, etc. Use at your own risk!
If you encounter any problems, please use this thread to let us all know.
That's all there is to it, enjoy!