Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,173 Members 40,390 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] NookColor Tools - Access hidden settings

Tip us?

Ben74
Old
(Last edited by Ben74; 16th December 2010 at 08:31 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 187
Default [APP] NookColor Tools - Access hidden settings

greetings, nookies

i just threw together this app for the NookColor. it gives you access to hidden system settings, and allows you to select soft keyboards that are installed.

it's super basic and ugly right now, but i hope it will come in handy. i plan to expand and refine it as time goes on.

when you click the All Settings button, you'll see a list of all the available preference panels. note that some of them don't work. not sure why.

some highlights:
- Development > Auto Mount - turn off usb auto mount
- Development > Manage Applications - uninstall apps, clear defaults
- Battery Use
- SD Card and Phone Storage - shows available space in internal storage
- Testing > Battery Info - status, voltage, temp, etc
- Testing > Battery History
- Testing > Usage statistics

if you find yourself on a screen without a back button, remember that you can swipe left over the notification bar at the bottom, if it's showing.

for info on installing other keyboards, see this thread. basically, you need to copy your keyboard's apk to /system/app and reboot. if you haven't done this before, here's a howto.

new! to enable the non-market apps checkbox, you need to copy this apk to /system/app. if you have 0.1 installed, uninstall it first, then copy 0.2 to /system/app and reboot. this is necessary for the app to have the right permissions to modify secure system settings. the app will still work if you install it the normal way, but you won't be able to use the non-market apps checkbox.

as usual, i accept no responsibility if this messes up your device. use at your own risk.

changelog:

0.2 - added install non-market apps option. apk must be in /system/app to enable this feature. filtered some unusable settings screens out. added some descriptions for the buttons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	settings.png
Views:	6408
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	461114  
Attached Files
File Type: apk NookColorTools_0.1.apk - [Click for QR Code] (11.0 KB, 5573 views)
File Type: apk NookColorTools_0.2.apk - [Click for QR Code] (11.8 KB, 22534 views)
Nexus 5 | Galaxy Nexus | Kindle Fire | Samsung Captivate | NookColor | T-Mobile G1
Developer of SkipLock, Touch Pilot, Unlock With WiFi, NookColor Tools, and Choose Browser
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Ben74 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

clockcycle
Old
(Last edited by clockcycle; 10th December 2010 at 08:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben74 View Post
greetings, nookies

i just threw together this app for the NookColor. it gives you access to hidden system settings, and allows you to select soft keyboards that are installed.

it's super basic and ugly right now, but i hope it will come in handy. i plan to expand and refine it as time goes on.

when you click the All Settings button, you'll see a list of all the available preference panels. note that some of them don't work. not sure why.

for info on installing other keyboards, see this thread.

as usual, i accept no responsibility if this messes up your device. use at your own risk.

I prefer to be reffered to as Nooker thanks, lol

Nice, I'll give'r a try..

-CC

EDIT: OOh nice, development settings access, usb debug mode, usb auto mounting galore..
Disclaimer: The information contained herein is made for educational purposes only. If you decide to access linked third-party web sites or make use of said information, you do so at your own risk. The information may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, correct, timely, current or up-to-date.

The Following User Says Thank You to clockcycle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dtkav
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Thanks!

Hey, thanks a bunch

keep up the good work!

Mastiff
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Thank you very much! Unfortunately it didn't help my keyboard problem because the only keyboard that showed up was "To enable it (the Scandinavian keyboard) go to Settings - Language & keyboard. There you need to check Scandinavian keyboard if it's not checked". So I'm guessin that it's not checked and that the specific settings file (I guess it's like a control panel app in Windows) isn't even there on a Nook. Or is it just not activated that easily?

If I try to launch the keyboard i get "Activity not found". Any idea if there is another setting to activate the keyboard for use?
Mastiff
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastiff For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

devis
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Very nice work.
I see dead phones, calling around just like regular phones.

My cell phone history: Ericsson GH788, Mitsubishi T200, Sanyo BAM 201, LG V111, Ericsson T28, T39, T68, T68i, Panasonic GD87, GD55, Nokia 3660, 6600, Motorola V525, A360, Panasonic X701, Palm Treo 600, HTC Blue Angel, Wizard, Herald, Kaiser, Touch Pro 2, Doubleshot MT4GS

Ben74
Old
Thanks Meter 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
Thank you very much! Unfortunately it didn't help my keyboard problem because the only keyboard that showed up was "To enable it (the Scandinavian keyboard) go to Settings - Language & keyboard. There you need to check Scandinavian keyboard if it's not checked". So I'm guessin that it's not checked and that the specific settings file (I guess it's like a control panel app in Windows) isn't even there on a Nook. Or is it just not activated that easily?

If I try to launch the keyboard i get "Activity not found". Any idea if there is another setting to activate the keyboard for use?
see this thread. you have to copy your keyboard apk to /system/app and reboot for it to show up as an option.
Nexus 5 | Galaxy Nexus | Kindle Fire | Samsung Captivate | NookColor | T-Mobile G1
Developer of SkipLock, Touch Pilot, Unlock With WiFi, NookColor Tools, and Choose Browser

Mastiff
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Thanks! I actually tried something like that, but couldn't get it copied because of the settings. Gonna try again tomorrow (getting late her in Norway).
Mastiff

Ben74
Old
Thanks Meter 187
new version. read the OP for important instructions.

gormly
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Very nice... is it possible to release the source for this?

Malk3rs
Old
Thanks Meter 3
This looks great! Thanks for sharing!