5,599,478 Members 38,979 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Ref] Nook Color Links |Guides|How To|Utilities| Etc. 12/26 Read FIRST =)

Tip us?

sym1
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Need an Update

This thread is sorely behind, and needs to be updated.

The people who have purchased Nooks with 1.2 and 1.3 as their base system need to be directed to Manual Nooter, if they want to root. It is still the easiest way for them, though it may change again soon.

HTH
1st phone G1... Current SGS3
The Following User Says Thank You to sym1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dirtblade
Old
(Last edited by dirtblade; 11th September 2011 at 09:28 PM.) Reason: add comment
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by patruns View Post
CM7 is a custom ROM that is already rooted. You have that option or rooting the stock ROM which will allow you to keep the NC features but add the Android Market. You don't do both. If you decide you want to go with CM7 you can either replace the internal stock ROM with CM7 or you can put CM7 on an SD card and boot from it when you wish. One caveat with the last option is constantly removing and replacing the SD card may ultimately trash the SD reader slot on your Nook.

You need to make decisions before you starting researching how to do it.
Thank you for your reply. I would like CM7 on eMMC. I'm just one of those who is not interested in what Nook decided to put on their tablet. I need straight up CM7. Any place you can recommend me to start from?

I guess my way of thinking was is to root Nook first, then install Clockwork and then reflash using Clockwork with CM7. I guess I'm wrong, correct?

dirtblade
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin3178 View Post
One more thing to look into, you probably have a newer Nook (with the blue dot box) if you want to go eMMC with cm7,then a repartition of the internal partitions is required. I had an older one from this March and never had to do it. But I most definitely recommend eMMC, you can even dualboot with fattires new uboot. The newer nightlies (currently stuck @177) even have OC built-in.

Sent from my Desire HD using xda premium
I have 1.2. Any thread for CM7 on eMMC you can point me to?
Thank you in advance!

dirtblade
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Question Steps to flash CM7 to eMMC?

After browsing around I've collected the following steps for flashing CM7 to my Nook Color 1.2. Can please someone with more experience comment and perhaps add/remove something?

1. Create a bootable CWM SD card by using these:
http://code.google.com/p/monster-roo...downloads/list

2. Download NOOK-CWM3028-imgfiles.zip
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...8&d=1303977137

3. Rename uRecImg to uImage from NOOK-CWM3028-imgfiles.zip and replace the uImage file on the SD.
Rename uRecRam to uRamdisk from NOOK-CWM3028-imgfiles.zip and replace the uRamdisk file on SD.
(not sure here, looks like the latest CWM from step 1 link is 3028)

4. Transfer the latest CM7 night build with optional gapps to SD card

5. Power off your Nook Color, insert the SD card into it and power it back on - should boot into CWM

6. Go to ‘Mounts and Storage’ and format /system, /data and /cache partitions one by one, confirming each time. DO NOT format the /boot partition.

7. Go back to the main recovery menu and using the ‘install zip from sd card’ option, install first the ROM with CM7 and then the Google Apps zip files.

8. Get back to the main recovery menu

9. Now remove the SD card

10. ‘Reboot system now’

Also, some people say that new Nooks partitioned differently compare to older ones. Does it matter? Is there a thread about it?

Thank you all in advance!

Ronin3178
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtblade View Post
Also, some people say that new Nooks partitioned differently compare to older ones. Does it matter? Is there a thread about it?

Thank you all in advance!
Here is the thread for repartitioning the newer nooks,

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1094371

After that you should be able to install cm7 on eMMC no problem. I don't know how clear the thread is since I didn't have to do it. Good luck.

Have you found the Nook CM7 general thread or dev thread yet, alot of good answers there too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ronin3178 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dirtblade
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Here is the thread for repartitioning the newer nooks,

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1094371

After that you should be able to install cm7 on eMMC no problem. I don't know how clear the thread is since I didn't have to do it. Good luck.

Have you found the Nook CM7 general thread or dev thread yet, alot of good answers there too.

Awesome! Thank you very much!
The only thing that is left for me be clear about is a /boot partition. Somebody mentioned the latest nightly version of CyanogenMod 7 available back in January/February included a /boot partition and installing the ROM automatically installed it in place of the formatted one. However, the later nightly versions of CyanogenMod 7 did not include the /boot partition and thus, installing those after formatting your /boot partition left your device with an empty boot partition, making it unable to boot.
Does anyone know the current status?

As always thanks to everyone in advance!

Ronin3178
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Awesome! Thank you very much!
The only thing that is left for me be clear about is a /boot partition. Somebody mentioned the latest nightly version of CyanogenMod 7 available back in January/February included a /boot partition and installing the ROM automatically installed it in place of the formatted one. However, the later nightly versions of CyanogenMod 7 did not include the /boot partition and thus, installing those after formatting your /boot partition left your device with an empty boot partition, making it unable to boot.
Does anyone know the current status?

As always thanks to everyone in advance!
Goto Cm7.1 RC1 first, that should replace the uboot with the custom one. If it does, you will see a green cyanogen logo. I believe the nightlies auto replace too, but the rc1 should, after flashing rc1 you can goto nightly with just a davlik/cache wipe.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ronin3178 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dirtblade
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Goto Cm7.1 RC1 first, that should replace the uboot with the custom one. If it does, you will see a green cyanogen logo. I believe the nightlies auto replace too, but the rc1 should, after flashing rc1 you can goto nightly with just a davlik/cache wipe.

Okay, sounds like a good idea! Just to confirm, if I go with CM7.1 RC1 I will need to format /boot before I flash, correct? Or, flashing process will do it for me?

Thanks!

Ronin3178
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Okay, sounds like a good idea! Just to confirm, if I go with CM7.1 RC1 I will need to format /boot before I flash, correct? Or, flashing process will do it for me?

Thanks!
Flashing process will do it for you.

Sent from my Droid using xda premium

fesheila
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
I just got my Nook. So far, after browsing many threads, I can't even find out where to start from. Looks like quinxy had written some instructions for noobs but his site is down, so I can't read those. Any other places I can look on XDA for answers? I'm specifically interested in using CM7 but need to root first I guess... Any help would be appreciated.
This link was great step by step

www_youtube_com/watch?v=88qRbLLEAPQ

also lockergnome_com/media/2011/07/17/root-nook-color

The Following User Says Thank You to fesheila For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]