OP mad5427

14th December 2010, 05:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9

58 posts
EDIT 12.21.10 per Robo Ray suggestion:

Install Astro File Manager
Install Desktop Visualizer

Open Astro and go to preferences. Choose "Edit File Extensions" under Data. Choose "New Extension".

Extension Name: epub (no . in there, just epub)
Mime Type: application
SubType: epub (again, no . in there, just epub)
Save
Exit Astro

Long press on Home screen
Add widget (In Zeam it's "Add Item" then "Widget")
Select whatever size Desktop Visualizer Widget
Select Icon (Choose whatever you want, which is awesome)
Select Action, choose "Other", Choose "ASTRO"
Find and select your file
Rename it if you choose
Hit OK for File Name
Hit OK on bottom of Desktop Visualizer
Choose Widget span, click OK

Direct link from icon on homescreen to default BN reader.

Again, thank you to Robo Ray for this simple suggestion within Astro. This is even better than the original method using Linda File Manager as this method allows you to use whatever images you want with your links.

------------------- Old posts below ---------------------
EDIT: This is no longer working for me. I upgraded to 1.0.1 and used auto nooter to re-root. I have no idea why this no longer works, but I click to create a shortcut and it says that it creates a shortcut, but it never appears. Also, I can't find the shortcut anywhere. Something broke or changed between the old and new root methods or with the update itself. If anybody knows how to fix this, I and hopefully others would be greatly appreciative. I'm using my limited skills to try to figure this out as shortcuts of my sideloaded epub books that open in the BN stock reader being able to be placed on my homescreen is a very big deal for me.

I figured out how to put sideloaded content like books, comics, pdf files, etc. onto your homescreen. This was, for me, the last essential task I desired. This device is now what I consider perfect. Everything from here on out is just bonus.

This is assuming you are rooted and now using ADW or Zeam as your launcher. This won't put shortcuts on your B&N Home screen, but words for the two listed above. I haven't tried any other launchers.

Download Linda File Manager (App description linked; Found in market for free, not sure where to find outside of market)

http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...ager-jpBj.aspx

Once installed, open the app and go to your desired file. Long press and choose "Create Shortcut". It puts one right on your home screen. If you only have the default BN book reader, book shortcuts will automatically open in that. If you have multiple, it will ask you to choose a default app. PDF files and others show a list of apps and you just set the default.

I couldn't get this function to work using Astro.

One last note. I can't seem to find the books and magazines that came from BN. I am only finding the stuff that I put on my SD card. In Linda Manager, I've been searching around "My Phone" which seems to be the onboard storage and found the two original pdf guides that were on the original homescreen, but I can't find the books and magazines that it came loaded with and I downloaded.

Hope this is helpful.
Last edited by mad5427; 21st December 2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: New solution thanks to Robo Ray
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mad5427 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th December 2010, 05:22 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 42

155 posts
Hit the ^ key and it should take you to the b&n content.

---
Sent from my Nook Color using Tapatalk
14th December 2010, 05:44 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

58 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnopsec

Hit the ^ key and it should take you to the b&n content.

---
Sent from my Nook Color using Tapatalk

Are you referring to the soft button at the bottom middle of the nook? If so, I know that. That is apparent right from opening the device for the first time, unrooted. It does't change at all.

I'm talking about within the Linda File Manager Application. I can easily see the SD card and all its contents and the "My Phone" tab takes you to the onboard storage, but within that area, I'm having trouble finding BN content. I'm trying to find out if it is possible to create shortcuts of those items as well on top of the sideloaded content. If so, perfect. If not, no biggie as I know I can find it easily enough in the normal BN library. The key to this is quick shortcuts to content from the home screen, something BN locked out of the stock software. They made it so only their purchases content can be placed on homescreen. This Linda File Manager has allowed me to put other content on the other launchers home screen.

Edit: I found the B&N content within Linda File Manager. You have to go to the settings and check the "Show Hidden Files" option. Now, under /media/B&N Downloads/ you find the files within the folders there. They have strange names and numbers. The books work fine, but B&N purchased Magazines do not. They default to the B&N book reader and not the fancy magazine reader that you'd get if you open the magazine through the normal library. So, that's out for now. I'm just glad I found it. You can rename the shortcuts of those on your home screen so you don't just see the random number name.
Last edited by mad5427; 14th December 2010 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Found the B&N Content
14th December 2010, 05:51 AM   |  #4  
Flag Spokane, WA
Thanks Meter: 23

215 posts
More
Downloaded content is located in /media/B&N Downloads/

Files aren't named just long strings of numbers. I wasn't able to get my issue of PopSci to open correctly but that may be because I checked the box to set the nook reader as my default.

As far as the shortcuts go does anyone know how I can use Desktop Visualizer and have it open the book in the nook reader? Linda doesn't show up in the other activities category.
14th December 2010, 06:03 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

58 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isolated_epidemic

Files aren't named just long strings of numbers. I wasn't able to get my issue of PopSci to open correctly but that may be because I checked the box to set the nook reader as my default.

As far as the shortcuts go does anyone know how I can use Desktop Visualizer and have it open the book in the nook reader? Linda doesn't show up in the other activities category.

Thanks. I was typing my edit when you posted. You are right, the magazines don't open properly. They open up in the regular book reader format and not the magazine format.

I couldn't get Desktop Visualizer to recognize the nook reader. It recognizes other readers in the other activities category, but I'm pretty happy with the nook reader. I like the way my library is organized. I'll still be using the "My Shelves" area quite a bit as it's pretty nice. I just wanted to put the one or two books that I am currently reading right on home screen for easy access. That Linda File app allowed me to do that. I don't get any fancy icons, but that's ok. It functions.
14th December 2010, 07:08 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 15

680 posts
Sounds interesting, would that work with epubs and aldiko ? Haven't found another epub reader so far.
14th December 2010, 07:38 AM   |  #7  
Flag Spokane, WA
Thanks Meter: 23

215 posts
More
Aldiko is what I'm using and combimed with adw and desktop visualizer its just as good as the nook launcher.
14th December 2010, 04:50 PM   |  #8  
Flag Jupiter, Fl

135 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isolated_epidemic

Linda File Manager may not show up in other activities until you reboot ....
14th December 2010, 05:32 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
I would suggest reading ePubs with FBReaderJ, which is FBReader for Android. It reads many formats (but not proprietary ones or pdf) and is open source, I have used it for years on various platforms. You can download it from the FBReader site. I don't have a Nook Color (yet), but I currently use it on my Archos 101.
14th December 2010, 06:46 PM   |  #10  
OP Member

58 posts
Every ebook I have is ePub. The stock ereader on the nook has been the nicest I've used with them all. I like the bookmark, the dictionary function, the fonts and sizes. It's well organized and pages advance smoothly.

I can use the stock BN buttons to get to all books quickly. I've created shelves for quick access to favorite books or future read lists, etc. Using the Linda File Manager, I can now link to specific books I'm reading on the home screen. I also have the library icon on my homescreen to get their with one touch. It all works perfectly. Again, with this setup, I see now need to use an ereader app. I'd use kindle if I had any kindle specific files, but most likely I'd use Calibre to convert to something to read directly from BN's reader. That's just me though.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread