Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,583 Members 38,245 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New Market works with NC!

Tip us?

Bimboy
Old
(Last edited by Bimboy; 16th January 2011 at 03:32 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 97
Default New Market works with NC!

For those of you who got the Market working, there is a Market update that is getting released. I installed it on my HTC HD2, but the same file would not work on the Nook. I did some searching and found one that works on the Galaxy Tab w/stock Eclair. It works on the NC!!

Requirement: You MUST have a working market. Follow this thread or this thread for more excellent info (and work) on enabling the Market.

Simply replace the Vending.apk in /system/app/ with this file (rename it Vending.apk first), reboot, and you are good to go! I would recommend backing up the original Vending.apk so that you can replace it if anything should go wrong for you.

You can use Root Explorer with /system/app in r/w mode, but it is simple to do via adb as well:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb shell mv /system/app/Vending.apk /system/app/oldVending.apk
adb push Vending.apk /system/app
adb reboot

**If you have problems, simply delete the Vending.apk, and replace it with the oldVending.apk

There is a newer version of the Market posted by devis and Xhorder in this post. Please use it instead. It fixes the weird star artifacts of this version. Instructions are exactly the same.

DO NOT simply click it to install. If it happened to work for you that way, you were lucky. You really should replace the Vending.apk with this file. Also, I saw one user report that the search function didn't allow Market searches. I believe they are the only one with that issue, and I'm not sure how they installed this. I assume they did not follow instructions, as my guide backs up the original file, and the person with the issue is asking for the orig apk. So, YMMV, but follow this instructions, and you should be fine.
Attached Files
File Type: apk com.android.vending.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.02 MB, 9957 views)
Retired: ATT Tilt (Kaiser), ATT Fuze (Raph110), HTC HD2 (Leo - T-Mo US), Samsung Galaxy S 4G, Samsung Galaxy S II Hercules, Samsung Galaxy S III
Nook Color - Rooted & OC 1.2 Ghz
ATT Samsung Galaxy S 4 - awaiting MF3 solutions
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Bimboy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PTzero
Old
Thanks Meter 91
Sweet! Worked for me. Danke, Herr Bimboy.

feisty_noodle
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Very nice!
I actually found that the new market apk you provided installs fine as an update (no replacement of /system/app/Vending.apk needed). I opted for that as the safer option.

Thanks again!

johnopsec
Old
(Last edited by johnopsec; 14th December 2010 at 02:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 42
Works very well! Very nice interface.

One issue: The "OK" and "Update" buttons are sometimes just slivers at the top of the screen. Doesn't prevent it from working though. You just have to be careful with your clicking.

Adding: This version doesn't have the problem of not listing all of the apps when you're in portrait mode. It simply works. And when you tell it to install/update an app, it does it RIGHT FRIGGIN' NOW and I mean Fassssst!

ddenson
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Thanks! Works great.

One question - Is there any way to get the fingerprint from the tab w/eclair? This would potentially give us access to some tablet-specific apps, like WSJ...

Pinesal
Old
Thanks Meter 19
The new auto nooter installs he mew market ffor you...

Bimboy
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinesal View Post
The new auto nooter installs he mew market ffor you...
Awesome! I was hoping the script would get updated to include this.
Retired: ATT Tilt (Kaiser), ATT Fuze (Raph110), HTC HD2 (Leo - T-Mo US), Samsung Galaxy S 4G, Samsung Galaxy S II Hercules, Samsung Galaxy S III
Nook Color - Rooted & OC 1.2 Ghz
ATT Samsung Galaxy S 4 - awaiting MF3 solutions

clockcycle
Old
Thanks Meter 390
FYI: Those considering updating to this version, it puts buttons up top where you can barely press them for confirmations.

-CC

EDIT: as mentioned by johnopsec above post
Disclaimer: The information contained herein is made for educational purposes only. If you decide to access linked third-party web sites or make use of said information, you do so at your own risk. The information may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, correct, timely, current or up-to-date.

barrosd12
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Anybody tried searching? Mine's kicking me back into the NC's search engine as opposed to the market one...

johnopsec
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrosd12 View Post
Anybody tried searching? Mine's kicking me back into the NC's search engine as opposed to the market one...
I just did a search for Zeam in the Market and it came up fine for me. So does pinball.