Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,463 Members 40,448 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC HERO 2.32.651.2 Root Help

Tip us?

da305kratos
Old
(Last edited by da305kratos; 26th February 2011 at 08:17 PM.) Reason: Updating with a step by step of what I did to root and install CM 6.1 on Sprint HTC Hero 2.32.651.2
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Cool [Q] HTC HERO 2.32.651.2 Root Help

PLEASE SEE BOTTOM OF OP FOR STEP BY STEP WALKTHROUGH

Hello Guys,

I’m a Sprint HTC Hero owner who is trying to get CM 6.1
My device has the latest OTA update 2.32.651.2

I went ahead and tried z4root which has 2 options, temporary and permanent. Went ahead and did temporary and it stated that it was rooted. Superuser shows up in my apps, so I went ahead and installed ROM manager as a youtube video said (gave a full successful walkthrough)…I open ROM Manager up and it says – You must root your phone for ROM Manager to function. Superuser was not found at “/system/bin/su” or “/system/xbin/su”.

Now using Astro File Manager, I checked those directories and it wasn’t there as ROM Manager stated, but in my SD Card, I see su-2.3.1-bin-signed…

Now my question is, should I try it with permenant root?
If not, what is the recommended next step?
Should I delete/uninstall everything I have that’s related to my previous root attempt and do the following:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=804296

I’m an Accounting major and a noob at this stuff…and I see people helping each other out here which is awesome, but I get confused trying to keep up with some posts where people are sent to other posts and so forth :/

Thank u in advance! Happy Holidays!

-------------------------------------------

Below is the process on a step by step basis from which i was able to complete it with the help of skndeep102. Thanks again buddy!

-Download z4root here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953
-Install and run app, press on Permenant Root
-Let it run until it says it has completed
-Once it has completed you will see the Superuser app in your drawer
-Download Rom Manager from the Market
-Open Rom Manager and press on Flash ClockworkMod Recovery at the top (give it a bit as it has to download it and then install)

I had already downloaded the CM 6.1 rom and had it on the SD card
-So i went ahead and hit reboot to recovery in ROM Manager
-Once it is in recovery, go ahead and scroll down to Nandroid and do a backup
-once you do a back up press back and reboot
-Once it starts up again head over to ROM Manager and select Install ROM from SD Card
-Look for the Rom, select it, and it asks you to Wipe Device and Cache, select both
-It reboots to recovery, select the rom and install

I hope i didnt miss a step, but thats pretty much it if i remember it correctly (spent much more time reading than actually doing, lol) Also, if there is something that isnt touched upon here just go ahead and read through as several questions were asked and answered along the way.

Hope it helps!

* Process confirmed to still be working as of 1/5/2011
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to da305kratos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

skndeep102
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by da305kratos View Post
Hello Guys,

I’m a Sprint HTC Hero owner who is trying to get CM 6.1
My device has the latest OTA update 2.32.651.2

I went ahead and tried z4root which has 2 options, temporary and permanent. Went ahead and did temporary and it stated that it was rooted. Superuser shows up in my apps, so I went ahead and installed ROM manager as a youtube video said (gave a full successful walkthrough)…I open ROM Manager up and it says – You must root your phone for ROM Manager to function. Superuser was not found at “/system/bin/su” or “/system/xbin/su”.

Now using Astro File Manager, I checked those directories and it wasn’t there as ROM Manager stated, but in my SD Card, I see su-2.3.1-bin-signed…

Now my question is, should I try it with permenant root?
If not, what is the recommended next step?
Should I delete/uninstall everything I have that’s related to my previous root attempt and do the following:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=804296

I’m an Accounting major and a noob at this stuff…and I see people helping each other out here which is awesome, but I get confused trying to keep up with some posts where people are sent to other posts and so forth :/

Thank u in advance! Happy Holidays!
I used permanent root when I did this

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App
Thanks to AnAm85 for the avatar and banner check his thread out here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1465540

stunya
Old
Thanks Meter 0
i am in the same position...the recommendation to me was to RUU to an older version and then root. I am not sure how to do that, so im hoping someone has another solution.

KBizzle
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,189
I personally dont trust those one click root options. Manual root requires a little more reading but I have never had an issue that way.

You can always try the permanent option. I dont see why you wouldnt want permanent anyway. If you use the temporary, its gonna unroot you when you reset your phone.

da305kratos
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skndeep102 View Post

Did the permenant root allow you to continue with the process?

KBizzle
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4,189
RUU back to an older version just requires that you have the htc drivers installed and the ruu exe. You just double click the ruu exe and follow the instructions.

skndeep102
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by da305kratos View Post
Did the permenant root allow you to continue with the process?
Yeah it worked for me I was rooted and had clockwork mod in about 10 minutes

Thanks to AnAm85 for the avatar and banner check his thread out here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1465540

da305kratos
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbizzle View Post
RUU back to an older version just requires that you have the htc drivers installed and the ruu exe. You just double click the ruu exe and follow the instructions.
Where can I find the RUU? HTC's official site?

da305kratos
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by skndeep102 View Post

I'm in the process of trying it...its been stuck at Rebooting for a couple mins now... :/

Wait and see at this point, i guess...

da305kratos
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
OK so I did the permenant root...and appearantly it worked since z4root is telling me it is and it now gives me the option to re-root and undo root...Also, when I open Rom Manager, it isn't telling me to root the phone...

However, I saw in another forum that a way to check if it is rooted is to download a terminal emulator and type in "su" after the $ ...When i do that it tells me permission denied....

What next?

Tags
2.32.651.2, hero, root, sprint