Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,749 Members 50,801 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

5 Rookie questions needing 5 answers please read!!!!

Tip us?

zolah
Old
(Last edited by zolah; 16th December 2010 at 10:13 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 126
Default 5 Rookie questions needing 5 answers please read!!!!

Hi guys,

Im thinking of flasing a custom rom using odin.

Im running stock froyo 2.2.

PDA: I9000XWJPA

PHONE: I9000XXJPP

CSC: I9000XEEJP4

My phone is rooted and lag fixed. I understand that i need to remove the lag fix before and flash.

I updated to this using the registry hack. My questions are as follows...

1) Can i flash a custom rom from stock 2.2 or do i need to firstly flash a kernal with recovery 2e and then flash a custom rom?

2) Am i right in thinking that the PDA is the right bit to be looking at i.e when people say this rom is usable with JPA / JPO etc. The phone and CSC are not important when flashing a custom rom ( but still needed obviously )

3) If by some miracle of god we ever do get 2.3 and i flash back to stock Froyo via odin using a rom from samfirmware.com, will kies recognise my phone? Or will i forever be destined to flash "unofficially" through odin.

4) Looking at the PDA etc given above can anybody recommend a good rom to flash with gingerbread theme and apps. ( i keep seeing Darky's rom popping up in conversations ) and also have a link to it if you would be so kind. Im not lazy but theres so many roms all over i want to make sure i get the right one.

5) Once i have recovery 2e can i flash future roms over the top using rom mananger by clockworkmods and not have to go through odin? Or how does that work?

If i could get some clear answers to the above that would be great.

Yes i am a newbie at this but i am confident that i understand the basics, its just a couple of things above that i want clearing up before i proceed.

I know how to use odin correctly. ( close kies first / make sure odin opened before plugging in phone etc. )

P.S Yes i have 3 button recovery and download mode.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and a big thank you to any body that takes the time to respond with help.

zolah
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 126
Any body that can help?

Zub7
Old
(Last edited by Zub7; 17th December 2010 at 09:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
dude i feel your pain. i've rooted and installed custom roms on two other phones, most recent the HTC Desire Z. and it was quite a nightmare to just start off to know what the first step is, there are soo many different guides its hard to know which is what and what has now been superceeded by something else!

now i'm trying to get a custom rom on my galaxy S too, but really having a hard time understanding everything becuase guides and stuff are so different for different roms, gets confusing and dont know which one is for me!

my phone is already rooted, i have firmware 2.1-update1, i know i have voodoo lagfix somewhere installed. but my base band version is I9000XXJM4, which i hav'nt seen in any guide! where did you get your seperate PDA, PHONE, CSC info from?

sorry i could'nt help you and i justed added a bunch more questions to mix

also how did you manage to get Clockwork Recovery on your phone? i have recovery 2e atm. i downloaded Rom manager from the market and tried installing Clockwork rewcovery, but first it would not even download. then i tried next day and it downloaded it through rom manager. but i dont think it installed it. i went into recovery mode and then it tried to auto-install clockwork recovery in recovery mode! but it just hanged at zero status bar for like 20 mins. i turned the phone off and on, went back into recovery mode and it was still recovery 2e, how do i get clockwork recovery to flash as the recovery mode?

zolah
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 126
Type *#1234#into your dial pad and it will come up. If I'm right I believe that 2.1 is more simple to flash over than 2.2 which is the bit that's confusing me.

I believe that you would need to flash a new kernel with recovery 2e and then flash a new Rom over the top.

I'm a but confused though as to weather or not I would need to flash back to 2.1 and then do a couple more flashes to get the job done.

Can some one please clear this up.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
Device - Nexus 5
Rom - Stock
Firmware - 4.4.2
Kernel - Stock
Speed - Uber awesome ZOMFGWTF!!!!!!

My contribution - Video tutorials for begginers!

Please thank me if i helped

Amro90
Old
Thanks Meter 45
1. You don't need to have 2.1 rom to flash, since you'll be able to do all the flashing using Odin and download mode. Just flash a kernel, using odin, that has clockworkmod integrated, and you'll be able to flash most roms and kernels with the clockworkmod.
Speemod kernel is a great kernel, and has clockworkmod included.
Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=822756

2. PDA is the rom part. CSC is important when using stock roms. I think that custom roms have CSC included in them.

3. You'll always be able to flash with Kies by using the Kies Registry Hack or by flashing a stock rom through odin. Kies will recognise your phone even if you are on a custom rom, but I'm not sure if it'll flash your phone.

4. I prefer Docs Ultra Slim roms because it's light, and you can customize them however you want. Darky's rom is a good option if you want all the features of a stock rom, and more. I use a Gingerbread theme with Doc's rom.
Links,
Darky's: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=814091
Doc's: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=817703
Both can be installed through ClockWorkMod

5. I think I answered this already.
Siemens C60 -> Siemens CX65 -> Nokia 6630 -> Nokia 7710 -> i-mate JasJar/HTC Universal -> Nokia N95 -> HTC TyTN -> Nokia E71 -> Nokia E75 -> Samsung Galaxy S -> HTC Titan -> Samsung Galaxy S -> Nokia Lumia 800 -> Nokia Lumia 920 -> LG Nexus 4 -> Nokia Lumia 1520 -> LG G2 (D802)

zolah
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 126
Thank you for clearing that up. Very helpful but unfortunately you now raised another question haha.

You said that I would always be able to flash through kies using the registry hack... but wasn't that disabled so the registry hack wouldn't work any more a couple of versions back on. 803 or whatever it is?

And you also said that kies would recognise my phone but might not flash it which if I'm reading it right.contradicts.what you said about always been able to flash through kies.

Thank you so much for previous post it was very helpful.

Sorry if I sound stupid for.asking so many questions but I want to make sure I have covered all the angles before I proceed.

Again thanks for taking the time to help.

Device - Nexus 5
Rom - Stock
Firmware - 4.4.2
Kernel - Stock

Amro90
Old
Thanks Meter 45
By registry hack, I really meant the Kies Registry Patcher app found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=835628
Works on all Kies versions at least for now.
Like the original registry hack, this using this app makes Kies think that you have a stock rom and as long as Kies thinks that you have a stock rom, it will flash your phone.
In the sentence where I said that Kies will recognise your phone but won't flash, I mean't that it wouldn't flash without the Registry Patcher.
Siemens C60 -> Siemens CX65 -> Nokia 6630 -> Nokia 7710 -> i-mate JasJar/HTC Universal -> Nokia N95 -> HTC TyTN -> Nokia E71 -> Nokia E75 -> Samsung Galaxy S -> HTC Titan -> Samsung Galaxy S -> Nokia Lumia 800 -> Nokia Lumia 920 -> LG Nexus 4 -> Nokia Lumia 1520 -> LG G2 (D802)

zolah
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 126
Thank you sooooooo much for your help dude.

Device - Nexus 5
Rom - Stock
Firmware - 4.4.2
Kernel - Stock