5,599,033 Members 31,514 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Did the hardware fix work for you?
Yes! I saw a huge improvement in locks/navigation! 358 44.86%
Yes! It's a little better. 155 19.42%
I haven't really experienced a difference. 119 14.91%
Nope, it didn't do a thing for me. 104 13.03%
It made my GPS worse! 62 7.77%
Voters: 798. You may not vote on this poll

CORRECT Hardware GPS Fix

Tip us?

salvador3
Old
(Last edited by salvador3; 24th December 2010 at 02:50 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I get a lot more sats in view but my phone cannot lock to them indoors. Even the SNR hovers around 20-30 for about 11 sats.

Why is this?

I tried with different roms. Macnut 14, Ginger Clone R2, and now Nero v3 and none of them can lock indoors like my friend's HTC Desire Z.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jadenguy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by T313C0mun1s7 View Post
You are absolutely right IF you are a T-mobile customer still under warranty or you have the insurance.
As of 3 days ago they said it was a software issue and it was samsung's fault and they couldn't do anything for me warrently-wise. they resent the OTA update, but that's rather moot.

xpcomputers
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadenguy View Post
As of 3 days ago they said it was a software issue and it was samsung's fault and they couldn't do anything for me warrently-wise. they resent the OTA update, but that's rather moot.
Can you take it to a Samsung Repair Centre and show them this thread. And demand that THEY open your phone and bend your contacts to save your warranty? (Then Samsung are the ones taking the risk if they mess it up and snap it off.)

They might also be able to solder on stronger contacts for you too!

Must be worth a try....

Anyone live near a Samsung repair centre and think they can sweet talk an engineer round to have a look for you?

Mike
Galaxy S I9000 - XEU (UK Model)

T313C0mun1s7
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadenguy View Post
It is my understanding that Samsung released the app to directly and officially address the Galaxy S (more specifically the Vibrant and Captivate) issue and that the carrier (T-Mobile) has been instructed to honor the warranty if the app shows that after resetting to stock the GPS fails the apps tests.

Whoever you spoke to is not following the official supply channel fix. I would keep pushing, try for someone different and ask for their supervisor. Unfortunately, when I read that this app was the official call on if it was to be fixed, it was from my news reader application, so I don't remember if I got that from Lifehacker, Engadget, TechCrunch, Android and Me, or one of the may others I follow. I wish I could be of more help. I do distinctly remember though that when covering the pros and cons of the app a con was that is did not really do anything but reset defaults and run a test, where the pro was that if the test failed they were obligated to replace the phone.

engineer14
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by T313C0mun1s7 View Post
You are absolutely right IF you are a T-mobile customer still under warranty or you have the insurance.

That said, there are people here with US Vibrants that have been unlocked and they use Bell in Canada. There are people no longer under warranty because they got it from Craigslist, or Ebay, or Amazon, or used, or whatever, etc. ad nauseum.

Which ones do you think are most willing to open their phones and try this? To those people this fix is a God send, and those people owe Plato56 and the others brave enough to confirm his find like KWKSLVR and dsellers2 as well as all the others I have forgotten quite a vote of thanks.
I hear ya, but just to clarify, are you not under warranty even if you are not a tmobile customer as long as you got it from the tmobile store?

T313C0mun1s7
Old
(Last edited by T313C0mun1s7; 24th December 2010 at 03:50 PM.) Reason: darn proof reader - I should fire her
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer14 View Post
I hear ya, but just to clarify, are you not under warranty even if you are not a tmobile customer as long as you got it from the tmobile store?
Unfortunately in the real world where we live it may be true that you are under warranty, but the store is easier to deal with rather than have to do a claim directly with the manufacturer. If you are not a T-mobile customer AND you did not purchase the phone from their store, then they will not be likely to want to help you.

Dealing with a manufacturer usually entails shipping the device to them, waiting some long period of time for them to determine if it will be covered by the warranty, or if you will be getting a bill after they fix it (they may not inform you until they have fixed it), and then waiting some long period of time for the fix and return. The whole time you are sans-phone and by the time you get it back the Nexus S has become old news because they have released some quad processor device running at 3Ghz having 4Gb of RAM, and a Terabyte of internal storage which is so thin that people have started calling the iPhone 4 Fat instead if Phat.

Just say`n

KWKSLVR
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
I added more information to the Original Post

phntm
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Default thanks gps working much better

my vibrant was built in mid June, back in august gps seemed to be working fine, got decent amount of locks although signal got lost a lot.
i upgraded to ji6 in aug, seemed to be nice and all, but starting September, the think just stopped working. i would get 9-13 birds having 3 or 4 with lvl 40+ and no lock.
I had very specific spots around the neighborhood where i could get a 40 meter accuracy fix but it would get quickly lost once I left the spots.
i'm on jl5 baseband and i elevated the contact today:
while initial fix was slow and i didn't get any higher levels from the birds, once a fix acquired I saw a big difference in the number of birds locked on to.
I could also travel around the house without loosing signal, and get a quick re-lock near a window.
all and all well worth the opening.
since i assume this problem might come back as the contact moves back down, i pushed a small piece of paper under it (both not to snap it while trying to elevate it and to win more time before it brakes contact again).

engineer14
Old
Thanks Meter 2
lol, quadcore phone. my phone has a working gps but it takes almost 3 minutes for a fix, should i attempt this?

raegae2000
Old
(Last edited by raegae2000; 25th December 2010 at 02:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
After breaking a tab I decided to go out and buy myself a solder.
Dropped a blob of molten medal on the connector and tested it out. I knew it probably wasn't going to work since the blob didn't seem high enough. Opened GPS test and LbsT test mode and kept it open for 10 minutes but it didn't want to connect.

Not wanting to wait the next day to go to a repair shop, I tore open my broken Xperia X1 and grabbed a long gold battery connector. I soldered it on and bang it worked.

Itís still a bit slow to lock, but it locks and thatís all that matters.

Btw this was my first time soldering. My dad talked me through it since he's old and has shaky hands

Update: I now get 10 sats in view with 6 tracking in less than a minute (in my house)

Tags
antenna, gps