Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,967 Members 47,254 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Did the hardware fix work for you?
Yes! I saw a huge improvement in locks/navigation! 358 44.81%
Yes! It's a little better. 156 19.52%
I haven't really experienced a difference. 119 14.89%
Nope, it didn't do a thing for me. 104 13.02%
It made my GPS worse! 62 7.76%
Voters: 799. You may not vote on this poll

CORRECT Hardware GPS Fix

Tip us?

KWKSLVR
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman123 View Post
holy moly this worked great on my vibrant!! acquired a gps fix within minutes for first cold start, then within seconds for the next time gps turned on! now there are no cons for the vibrant in my eyes THANK YOU XDA MEMBERS! using Nero v5 btw
I saw improvements with Nero v5 as well. Bionix V with the KA7 modem and kernel gives great performance as well. I'm glad it worked for you!
Verizon Moto X: Stock and Perfect
Verizon Galaxy Nexus: CM10
Samsung Vibrant rocking Team Whiskey's Bionix 1.3.1 w/ TouchWiz

If the Hardware GPS Fix worked for you and you want to donate, every penny will go back into continuing to try and improve our GPS (external antenna's, etc). I will also donate to anyone that can improve the firmware side of things.

Yuvan
Old
Thanks Meter 2
After reading through a gazillion posts in the Vibrant section of XDA, I finally got some decent locks on my GPS. Bought my phone from private party seller, which has a manufactured date of October 2010. I upgraded to official Froyo KA6 and the GPS became completely unusable. Prior to the update, I locked onto the GPS about 4 times over the course of 2 weeks, but at least I was able to get a lock.

The fix for phones manufactured October 2010:
Samsung’s GPS Restore tool found in the Android Market. Run the app outside in open skies since this particular GPS is beyond **** to begin with, so it’s worse indoors. If it doesn’t work at first, try again! The GPS is far from perfect, but it works to tolerable levels now.

To OP, please add this to your original post for easier reading for others looking for GPS fixes.

PS- **** you Samsung and TMobile. Thank you XDA contributors.

DocMarc73
Old
(Last edited by DocMarc73; 26th January 2011 at 05:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 55
please delete

cowppl
Old
Thanks Meter 3
For those who think the GPS is good, I say travel a bit. I lived in Fresno and my GPS was near perfect. It used to drift a bit, but was really reliable. I went to LA, and my GPS was completely broken. Tried the GPS fix and it said it locked on to more sattelites but it kept jumping. Three quarters of the time, it just wouldn't lock. I am currently overseas in South Africa, and the GPS wont even lock on to one sattelite. It seems depending on your location, the Vibrant's GPS can either be near perfect or completely useless
The Following User Says Thank You to cowppl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lkt01071
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaspin View Post
In addition to the GPS hardware fix I did the following:

First, make sure you have working WiFi and/or 3G data and it's working well.

Open your phone dialer and enter *#3214789650# (I like to save *#3214789650 to a google contact for future reference)

Under Application Settings use the following options:
Session Type -> Tracking
Test mode -> H/W Test
Operation mode -> H/W Sensitivity Test
Start Mode -> Cold start
GPS Plus -> ON
Dynamic Accuracy -> ON
Accuracy -> 50
GPS Logging -> OFF

Next go into SUPL/CP settings and set the following:
Server FQDN Type -> Custom Config
Server: -> supl.google.com (others have suggested supl.nokia.com)
Server Port -> 7276 (yes I know 7275 is normally the default)
SUPL security -> ON
AGPS mode -> SUPL

Go back to Home and reboot your Vibrant
Go back into LBS test mode (you saved it as a contact right?)
Select Delete GPS data
Select Get Position Test
Wait up to several minutes until you see Latitude/Longitude/Accuracy *green letters. (move to open sky if this part takes forever)
Lastly, go back into Application Settings and change Start Mode -> Hot Start.
This worked really well for me. After flashing Bionix-V I couldn't lock locks and accuracy as good and quick compare to Axura 2.2.7.1.

I tried Samsung Restore App and didn't get much differences, then I tried what you have suggested and it got 12 satellites and locked on to 10 of them in 5 second from COLD START!.

Thanks and I got a even better gps than I had from Axura.

Btw, the only differences in settings in LBS for me are:

Test mode -> H/W Test
SUPL security -> ON

Not sure if those were the cause of the sudden perf. increase!

AEguyNYC5
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoWeb View Post
Good luck to you. I hope they actually fix it instead of doing a stupid reset which I could have done myself. BTW it still didn't work after they "RESET" it.

The bums at Samsung sent me the same email they sent you. This phone is like a girl with a pretty face, you know she probably is no good for you but your a sucker for that face (in this case, the screen). Hopefully Samsung starts selling the screens to other companies soon so I dont feel forced to buy another Samsung after this junk and their crappy service. Once I receive it I'll be opening it up again see what bending or soldering I do.

AEguyNYC5
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Question Solder question

For the guys that have done the soldering, is there a specific thickness of solder on the contact you recommend? This is why I find cooking so difficult, I ask my mother ok how much cinnamon, cloves, sugar, I put to make the oatmeal how you make it? She says JUST A LITTLE BIT, ok well that leaves me with no clue at all, do you guys suggest like 1/64, 1/32, 1/16? What is a good amount? Me and my shaking hands will turn this phone into solder soup. Thanks

T313C0mun1s7
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEguyNYC5 View Post
For the guys that have done the soldering, is there a specific thickness of solder on the contact you recommend? This is why I find cooking so difficult, I ask my mother ok how much cinnamon, cloves, sugar, I put to make the oatmeal how you make it? She says JUST A LITTLE BIT, ok well that leaves me with no clue at all, do you guys suggest like 1/64, 1/32, 1/16? What is a good amount? Me and my shaking hands will turn this phone into solder soup. Thanks
This is very small, surprisingly small. I personally like to keep a nice large spool of my favorite solder around which is suitably small diameter, If I need to do larger work I just feed it faster.

Here is what it says on my spool:
  • Ratio - 60/40, Tin/Lead
  • Type - 370 Flux, 5 core
  • Diameter, 0.56 mm
If you are not using Dropbox yet, please use my referral link.

If I have helped you, please click that little Thanks button. Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to T313C0mun1s7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AEguyNYC5
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by T313C0mun1s7 View Post
This is very small, surprisingly small. I personally like to keep a nice large spool of my favorite solder around which is suitably small diameter, If I need to do larger work I just feed it faster.

Here is what it says on my spool:
  • Ratio - 60/40, Tin/Lead
  • Type - 370 Flux, 5 core
  • Diameter, 0.56 mm
Wow that is as specific as anyone can get Thank you so much! Time to operate.

KWKSLVR
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
The smallest diameter I have is .022....that's what I'd use.
Verizon Moto X: Stock and Perfect
Verizon Galaxy Nexus: CM10
Samsung Vibrant rocking Team Whiskey's Bionix 1.3.1 w/ TouchWiz

If the Hardware GPS Fix worked for you and you want to donate, every penny will go back into continuing to try and improve our GPS (external antenna's, etc). I will also donate to anyone that can improve the firmware side of things.

The Following User Says Thank You to KWKSLVR For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
antenna, gps