Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,899 Members 47,550 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

UPDATED !! Gingerbread Keyboard on NC!!! YAY!

Tip us?

madrascafe
Old
(Last edited by madrascafe; 29th December 2010 at 03:04 AM.) Reason: Updated Link to file
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Cool UPDATED !! Gingerbread Keyboard on NC!!! YAY!

UPDATE: Hotaru has made some updates to the KB apk. this wont work right off the bat though for NC.

Step 1. Download the latest keyboard from here.
Step 1: You must rename you existing GB keyboard or remove it.

Step 2: Then use Root Explorer OR adb push to copy the file to /system/app
Step 3. Click on the gbkb.apk and install it
Step 4. Use Root Explorer and come back to /system/app and modify permissions of the apk file like this

Code:

Read      Write      Execute
User                  X          X
Group                 X          
Others                X

Step 5:
Reboot your NC and select the new keyboard in NCTools
Nokia Lumia 920 from Rogers (Red) on T-Mobile
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to madrascafe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

madrascafe
Old
(Last edited by madrascafe; 27th December 2010 at 02:36 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Default Detailed steps for installing gingerbread keyboard on NC

A big thanks to hotaru for porting the keyboard to 2.1, ne0fhyk for the keyboard app & nookDev team for all tips..

This post is written on the following assumptions:

1. You have Nook Color

2. You have a firmware 1.0.1 (1.0.0 may work, but i haven't tested this keyboard with it)

3. Rooted it with Autonooter for 1.0.1 - BTW if you used Auto-Nooter, you will have Droid-X keyboard as default NOT the Stock Keyboard.

Step 1. I would recommend that you download the gingerbread 2.1 keyboard (gbkb.apk) from hotaru as there may be updates..

Step 2. --OPTIONAL-- Install Keyboard Manager developed by ne0fhyk (You really don't need this since Autonooter has NCTools app which can be used for the same purpose. the only advantage this tool has is that you can use 2 different keyboards for portrait & landscape ;P)

To install:
1- Download the app (KeyboardManager.apk) on your device sdcard.
2- Using Root Explorer, move the apk file to /system/app
3- Using Root Explorer, edit the file permissions like below:
-- User: 'Read/Write' checked
--Group: 'Read' checked
--Others: 'Read' checked
4- Exit Root Explorer

Step 3. Backup, remove & install Gingerbread keyboard ( You dont have to remove your old keyboard if you have the keyboard manager installed. so u can choose between autonooter droidx kb if required)

Open your command prompt or console and remount /system as writable.

HTML Code:
adb shell

#mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
#exit
Copy the default keyboard (LatinIME.apk) from /system/app as a backup, as we will be removing this file shortly.

HTML Code:
adb pull /system/app/LatinIME.apk LatinIME.apk
Transfer your keyboard APK to /system/app
HTML Code:
adb push gbkb-2.1.apk  /system/app
Now we have to Remove LatinIME.apk
HTML Code:
adb shell
# cd /system/app
# rm LatinIME.apk
# exit
Alternatively, you can rename the LatinIME.apk if you do not wish to delete it, as this will enable you to freely switch back to the stock keyboard layout.

HTML Code:
adb shell
# cd /system/app
# mv LatinIME.apk KeyboardBackup.apk
# exit
Now Reboot NOOKcolor & enjoy Gingerbread keyboard...
HTML Code:
adb reboot
See the screenshot below

Once you bring the keyboard up touch the setting button (2nd from lower left) and you'll see the settings screen. you can switch to the droidx keyboard from here but not back. Vibrate dont work yet...

UPDATE: For people having trouble with the keyboard

When you followed the steps and removed the LatinIME.apk without backing it up, you can still get from the post below. After you "push" LatinIME back into /system/app, reboot the NC & follow the instructions (THANKS TO wtd966)

Reinstall the gbkb-2.1.apk using root explorer and it'll work. Here are the steps:

HTML Code:
Step 1. Using Root Explorer Navigate to /system/app.
Step 2. Click on your GingerBread keyboard apk: gbkb-2.1.apk
Step 3. Click install.
Once re-installed long click in a text field untill you get the option to select input method.
Re-select GingerBread keyboard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-12-19-2.jpg
Views:	1919
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	468605   Click image for larger version

Name:	10-12-19-11.jpg
Views:	1321
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	468616  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to madrascafe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kitzuki
Old
(Last edited by kitzuki; 20th December 2010 at 03:15 AM.)
Thanks Meter 2
very cool will give it a go after dinner

edit
Woot Got it working thanks to the guide
Thanks my dude!
The Following User Says Thank You to kitzuki For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

isolated_epidemic
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Worked great for me once I learned to follow directions and not pretend like I knew what I was doing... I love it, great keyboard and doesnt go into full screen mode when in landscape. Much appreciated!

CocoaGoddess
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks so much!

I do plan to use this keyboard, but just a quick question--would this work for any keyboard .apk, such as Shapewriter or Swiftkey?

Thibor69
Old
Thanks Meter 170

DONATE TO ME
Well I am not so lucky. I followed your instructions to the letter, but now I have no keyboard at all. When I open Keyboard manager the only keyboard listed is in fact GingerBread .... so I check the box, but when I go to type inside any application NO KEYBOARD shows up at all. And I did not back up LatinIME.apk either so I am screwed.

What can I do ?????

.milFox
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibor69 View Post
Well I am not so lucky. I followed your instructions to the letter, but now I have no keyboard at all. When I open Keyboard manager the only keyboard listed is in fact GingerBread .... so I check the box, but when I go to type inside any application NO KEYBOARD shows up at all. And I did not back up LatinIME.apk either so I am screwed.

What can I do ?????
grab the keyboard from the Sideload_Update. It's in system/app/

Thibor69
Old
Thanks Meter 170

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

What can I do ?????
Ok I found a copy of LatinIME and pushed it. It works... but the GB keyboard still wont run for me even tho I select it in keyboard manager. **shrug**

madrascafe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:

What can I do ?????
Sorry for these questions. but it'll help me solve your problem

1. I want to make sure that you did not INSTALL the apk but did an "adb push" to /system/app
2. did u enable r/w instructions for the keyboard manager?
3. the keyboard can also be changed with "NookColor Tools". If you rooted with AutoNooter, you can see this app
4. always reboot after the process.
5. also can you please let me know what firmware version u have on your NC?

madrascafe
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:

What can I do ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoaGoddess View Post
Thanks so much!

I do plan to use this keyboard, but just a quick question--would this work for any keyboard .apk, such as Shapewriter or Swiftkey?
Sorry.. both these keyboards do not work.. but Gb is awesome in its own way...