Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,143 Members 54,221 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

App2SD Mod (Moves dalvik cache to SD) Instructions

Tip us?

neptun2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
Default App2SD Mod (Moves dalvik cache to SD) Instructions

Now after we have root for 2.1 most of you will want to have app2sd also. The script posted in x10 mini pro android development forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=804574) works ok but it has one limitation. It moves only the /data/app folder to your ext2 partition on the SD card. The /data/dalvik-cache folder remains in the internal memory and this is why you still see your internal memory free space decreasing when installing applications.

I have modified the script so it also moves the dalvik cache to your SD card. I recommend to use at least class 4 SD card for this. I have attached the modified script. Follow the instructions from the original thread but use the files from my attachment. For me it works fine.If you have any problems please share so we can try to fix them together.

And finally using both the original and modified app2sd you CAN normally use your sd card as mass storage device.
Attached Files
File Type: zip app2sd2.1 mod (dalvik-cache to sd).zip - [Click for QR Code] (977.3 KB, 10700 views)
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to neptun2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BehradGH
Old
Thanks Meter 764
u said WE HAVE ROOT FOR 2.1?? where is it ???????

suhel28
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptun2 View Post
Now after we have root for 2.1 most of you will want to have app2sd also. The script posted in x10 mini pro android development forum (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=804574) works ok but it has one limitation. It moves only the /data/app folder to your ext2 partition on the SD card. The /data/dalvik-cache folder remains in the internal memory and this is why you still see your internal memory free space decreasing when installing applications.

I have modified the script so it also moves the dalvik cache to your SD card. I recommend to use at least class 4 SD card for this. I have attached the modified script. Follow the instructions from the original thread but use the files from my attachment. For me it works fine.If you have any problems please share so we can try to fix them together.

And finally using both the original and modified app2sd you CAN normally use your sd card as mass storage device.

I've read somewhre that if you already have & try to again use the app2sd script
than the phone starts looping endlessly..

is it true?
The Following User Says Thank You to suhel28 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

suhel28
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BehradGH View Post
u said WE HAVE ROOT FOR 2.1?? where is it ???????
the x8 custom rom topic

neptun2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
I first installed the original app2sd, uninstalled it using the script, reboot and installed using the modified script. No problem at all.

propc
Old
Thanks Meter 129

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I first installed the original app2sd, uninstalled it using the script, reboot and installed using the modified script. No problem at all.
new chargemon in the attachment. you can use data.img from the x8 custom rom and resized it. app2sd ready.
Attached Files
File Type: zip chargemon.zip - [Click for QR Code] (381 Bytes, 558 views)

Nexus S i9023

neptun2
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 26
I prefer my way because this way i can still use my sd card as mass storage in windows while using the chargemon and data.img it is not possible.

propc
Old
Thanks Meter 129

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I prefer my way because this way i can still use my sd card as mass storage in windows while using the chargemon and data.img it is not possible.
it's the new chargemon. I can mount my sdcard as storage.

Nexus S i9023

timk1764
Old
Thanks Meter 7
So far working perfect thanks :)

Sent from my E15i using XDA App
x8 - 2.Custom ROM Changes Every Week

about.me

v112u5
Old
Thanks Meter 0
its working??? any one test/?? screenshoot pls
hmm where must I put the app2sd.sh?? in the sdcard or...
/sdcard/app2sd2.1 mod (dalvik-cache to sd)/app2sd.sh?

thx